Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat, Feature and Origin Trailers

Ranarama

Learned
Then tell me you great programmer how would it be possible to solve this problem. Let's say there are two players playing the game, one has an animation length of 1 seconds set up, the other has 3 seconds. How would this work on the two computer? The one second player would have to constantly wait in every turn, until the other player's animation's end, otherwise the two game wouldn't be in sync.

Same as it does on any fucking multiplayer game. Except here the animation state is a stupid thing to sync. You have the preturn position, the postturn postion and outcome. Everything else is client state, if you're syncing that shit, you're doing *everything* wrong.

That's why, for example, in ARMA 2 things like the small animals aren't shared between two clients in the same multiplayer game. One guy sees a rabbit, it's not on other people's games. You know why? Because nobody gives a fuck about the rabbit. Just like nobody gives a fuck about which particular frame of an animation is playing right this millisecond.

You sync on the outcome of the TURN.

Stupid fuck who has animations on slow because he jizzes his pants at the moment of skeleton extra C and the idiot wolf that got stuck on the terrain and is going to spaz out for 30 seconds until it times out because Larian's animations are so fucking amazing and don't get old the billionth time, well he gets to wait extra for his client to show that crap to him.

What's going on the network? Nothing. Because nothing is fucking happening.

All you've done is prove your own ignorance of the very basics of networked games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Then tell me you great programmer how would it be possible to solve this problem. Let's say there are two players playing the game, one has an animation length of 1 seconds set up, the other has 3 seconds. How would this work on the two computer? The one second player would have to constantly wait in every turn, until the other player's animation's end, otherwise the two game wouldn't be in sync.

Same as it does on any fucking multiplayer game. Except here the animation state is a stupid thing to sync. You have the preturn position, the postturn postion and outcome. Everything else is client state, if you're syncing that shit, you're doing *everything* wrong.

That's why, for example, in ARMA 2 things like the small animals aren't shared between two clients in the same multiplayer game. One guy sees a rabbit, it's not on other people's games. You know why? Because nobody gives a fuck about the rabbit. Just like nobody gives a fuck about which particular frame of an animation is playing right this millisecond.

You sync on the outcome of the TURN.

Stupid fuck who has animations on slow because he jizzes his pants at the moment of skeleton extra C and the idiot wolf that got stuck on the terrain and is going to spaz out for 30 seconds until it times out because Larian's animations are so fucking amazing and don't get old the billionth time, well he gets to wait extra for his client to show that crap to him.

What's going on the network? Nothing. Because nothing is fucking happening.

All you've done is prove your own ignorance of the very basics of networked games.
What? LOL You have just proved my point yourself!
Stupid fuck who has animations on slow...well he gets to wait extra for his client to show that crap to him.
One of the parties will suffer if the animation times are different. That's what I'm talking about and it seems you agree.

Ranarama

Learned

One of the parties will suffer if the animation times are different. That's what I'm talking about and it seems you agree.

So your point was, if they implement a slider then oh no, in the rare case where two people play co-op they'll have to wait for the slower party, and this is meant to be some impediment for implementing different speeds? Fucking come on. That's pathetic.

This is no actual reason against having the slider, or the ability to change speed. And even if it was a reason to not have a choice, they don't need to pick the slowest animations for everyone. That's the 'suffering' you seem to think this one guy who plays with an idiot will endure, and it's what *everyone* is currently enduring.

So your worst case is *right now*, animations are already fucking slow, so everyone is waiting. And if you put in a slider, non-retards can play single-player or co-op with other non-retards.

Is there any strategy game where everybody doesn't set combat speed to the fastest possible speed?

Is watching the AI make moves some how interesting? Does it give you choices to make during that time? Or is it basically an unskippable cutscene? It's a loading screen that isn't doing any actual loading.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

So your point was, if they implement a slider then oh no, in the rare case where two people play co-op they'll have to wait for the slower party, and this is meant to be some impediment for implementing different speeds? Fucking come on. That's pathetic.

This is no actual reason against having the slider, or the ability to change speed. And even if it was a reason to not have a choice, they don't need to pick the slowest animations for everyone. That's the 'suffering' you seem to think this one guy who plays with an idiot will endure, and it's what *everyone* is currently enduring.

So your worst case is *right now*, animations are already fucking slow, so everyone is waiting. And if you put in a slider, non-retards can play single-player or co-op with other non-retards.

Is there any strategy game where everybody doesn't set combat speed to the fastest possible speed?

Is watching the AI make moves some how interesting? Does it give you choices to make during that time? Or is it basically an unskippable cutscene? It's a loading screen that isn't doing any actual loading.
I don't know if they like watching the slow animation or what their reason is. The bottom line is that there would be sync issues if there were different animation speeds and I don't think Larian want to put up with that problem just because a handful of Codexians are bitching about it.

Ranarama

Learned
The bottom line is that there would be sync issues if there were different animation speeds.

It's like you can't read at all. No turn-based game is syncing *animations*. Fucking fast paced FPSes don't.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
The bottom line is that there would be sync issues if there were different animation speeds.

It's like you can't read at all. No turn-based game is syncing *animations*. Fucking fast paced FPSes don't.
Fuck off. You yourself agreed that the slower animation would mean that one of the players would have to wait in every turn, so don't pull this "you can't read" on me. Idiot.

Ranarama

Learned
Fuck off. You yourself agreed that the slower animation would mean that one of the players would have to wait in every turn, so don't pull this "you can't read" on me. Idiot.

The waiting that they are already doing *now*. If you agree this is such a terrible fucking thing, then it's in the game *now* for *everyone*. Your worst case scenario is Divinity: Original Sin 2. It's got the "syncing issues" built in for everyone. Even single player.

This isn't syncing issues, this is having to wait for the slowest guy, which you already have to do.

You fuck off, you fucking simpleton.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom