Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Update #49: Alpha Release Date and Video, Live Stream on Friday

Arkeus

Arcane
Don't tell me. I'm just saying what most people, which is who developers seem to listen to, are saying.
Regardless, that's no the point. Even if the technologist is weaker, or even considerably weaker, it doesn't mean it should be "fixed".
It should be made clear that it's weaker, and all the skills that are broken SHOULD be fixed.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well, it's also not very fun never hitting an enemy since you decided to not put any points into combat skills. Does that mean combat skills should be dropped?
What a pedantic discussion.

Here's the deal: the points you don't spend in accuracy are points you spend elsewhere, ideally making you feel rewarded for making that sacrifice. This "characters who don't pay the intelligence tax have dumb pathfinding when you're not directly controlling them" thing is a pointless feature that just adds busywork. Things no one enjoyed: the bad pathfinding in the IE games, having to move them one by one in certain areas.

It's not even quasi-sim because it's not as if a stupid person would nonchalantly walk into a hazardous area they know will hurt them. Even dumb animals are afraid of fire.

PS Infinitron I'm not interested in arguing against strawmen-facsimiles of Sawyer.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's probably a feature they did for the enemies (to make the environmental actions useful) and then extended to henchmen for 'fairness' - and because they use the same code.

I have seen idiots trying to run on wet floor (with a big sign) and land on thier ass. Also seen retards checking how hot a bunsen burner flame is by literaly touching the naked flame.

Roguey, Your argument about animals avoiding fire is simulationist in nature btw. :smug:

Arkeus

Arcane
My feelling is that with only gear the pathfinding will probably get better really fast.

The 'int = better pathfinding' thing is probably for low-level flavour.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I have seen idiots trying to run on wet floor (with a big sign) and land on thier ass. Also seen retards checking how hot a bunsen burner flame is by literaly touching the naked flame.

Have seen people with high intelligence/low common sense saying and doing silly things as well. Would love to see that modeled in a game.

Have seen people with high intelligence/low common sense saying and doing silly things as well. Would love to see that modeled in a game.
Me too.

But what stat to abstract common sense as?

I have seen really intelligent people behave as one of the most socially-retarded. So low Charisma is one candidate I suppose.

I guess we can hope for it in Swen's one big rpg to dwarf them all.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
But what stat to abstract common sense as?
I have seen really intelligent people behave as one of the most socially-retarded. So low Charisma is one candidate I suppose.

Yes, poor social awareness is one. Another is academically gifted people that can't focus on anything practical. Intellectuals that write 10,000 word essays, when just one or two sentences will do. People that see exciting conspiracies everywhere, when the boring reality is in front of them. Whenever you see otherwise gifted people doing silly things, you have a prime candidate. They could be academics, leaders of countries, businessmen making bad decisions repeatedly, or explorers going off and getting themselves killed. I hear about these things often and wonder how these people rose to such high positions. How you would model it and work it into a game I do not know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom