Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you know people who only play pirated games?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
The "data" is all you were paying for to begin with, since physical copies are a $00.10 piece of plastic with data on it.

You'd think someone who wrote a book would realize this.

He even complains about his torrented games or updates not working 100% properly.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Meh, there are so few games worth pirating being released nowadays, that it feels kind of petty to do so. In the 90s and early 00s, sure, so many games worth playing and not enough money on a poor student from potato. But now?

Besides, while the convenience problem doesn't matter that much for me, it does matter for other people. My 76-year-old granda is in the process of playing through my adventure games bought from gog, and even she can install them using their executables. Doing the same with pirated copies would've been a royal pita for both of us.

Declinator

Arbiter
Yeah, this is why Steam forces updates. Because a lot of people would never download them otherwise, and then still complain on forums about a buggy game.

Similarly people never update their GPU drivers, then complain about performance and bugs.

Well, at least I never complained anywhere (and I did update my drivers then too.)

I basically never updated my games before Steam unless there were major bugs.
:retarded:

What's so bad about that? Why would I have bothered for small bugs?

Game balance? Stability issues? New features? New content?
Are you dense?

Stability issues goes inside bugs.

New features and new content? Can't remember any significant content being added via updates back then but I guess I may have missed out.

I rarely care about slight game balance issues but sure, the games may haven improved by such updates and also if the updates included AI enhancements etc.

But at least in my experience, games back then weren't as broken at launch and didn't really need as many patches.

Last edited:

Deakul

Augur
Game balance? Stability issues? New features? New content?
Are you dense?

Anyways, I used to play only pirated games up until I could afford to buy my own games, now I literally never pirate anything anymore UNLESS there's no demo in which case I will to see if it runs and seems fun and then I'll uninstall, it's a sort of honor code I have with myself.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But at least in my experience, games back then weren't as broken at launch and didn't really need as many patches.

The most nostalgia goggles statement on the internet along with "back in the day games just installed and ran with no hassles."

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Game balance? Stability issues?

Sometimes you just don't bother. I know I didn't. Now I do, because it's easy to get patches, but before having constant internet access, fuck that shit. If the game works, it works.

New features? New content?

That's called DLC, bro, and it's not free.

Declinator

Arbiter

The most nostalgia goggles statement on the internet along with "back in the day games just installed and ran with no hassles."

Not really affected by nostalgia but possible that I've simply been lucky in choosing my games or that the younger me was less picky.

But then I think about Rome 2 and know that at no age would I have accepted that. (I didn't buy any TW games at launch pre-Steam though)

All the games I bought/"tried" at launch back then worked without any significant problems/bugs/game breaking balance issues.

Of course if you feel so inclined, give us some examples of broken games of that time. I'm not doubting that there were such games but as I did not run into them, my not being enthusiastic about patches back then is very understandable in my opinion.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Of course if you feel so inclined, give us some examples of broken games of that time.

That, or games that had patches the size of the original game, like it happens today with gigabytes of patches.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Of course if you feel so inclined, give us some examples of broken games of that time. I'm not doubting that there were such games but as I did not run into them, my not being enthusiastic about patches back then is very understandable in my opinion.

Not to sound bitchy, but I'm not putting a lot of effort into proving common sense. Some games were buggy, some were not, same as today and forever more until the end of time.

Anyway, all I ever said is that this is why auto-patching is a thing now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom