Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you want to play...

Section8

Cipher
Hell yes, I was wondering when we'd hear more about Introversion's next game, and from the sounds of it it should be a whole lot of fun. Darwinia was a bit disappointing, being basically a slight twist on Syndicate, but this looks like it could be the goods from a developer that has always been promising.

We already had a working prototype (developed by me in just seven days) which had the networking and visual style and basic gameplay already working.

That's such a positive thing to hear. It implies the degree of simplicity that made games work back in the days before graphical whoredom, especially with this:

Chris Delay said:
Content. Is. Bad.

Specifically, content is bad if you're a small team. Even with Darwinia's retro look and feel it took months to make all the custom content - almost every level had something special on it that wasn't on any other level. The second demo level we made took us over four months! For just one level with about an hour's gameplay.

Defcon is a wonderful project because it's almost entirely "content free". The world map continent data is publicly available, the world's major cities are all well known, the icons are simple, there's no custom level designs or cut-scenes or dialog or anything - its just a pure game. The only serious content we are producing is the music.

Fuck yes. I'm glad to see somebody is returning to the "pure game" roots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom