Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Does a game really "suck" if you spend 100 hours on it?

Johannes

Arcane
Playing of the shitty game does not have to be fun, the reward stands at the end when you can bash it with passion on the 'dex.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Depends, spent alot of time trying different builds with PoE until I realized it wouldn't change the gameplay much as they are very similar how they played and that was before I discovered the game sucked. Anyway, there are a few things to keep in mind, you can play a game for hundreds of hours but you had an unneven experience, some part of the game really engaged you while other parts... this happened with Witcha 2, nice story, characters and world building, awful gameplay, played alot of it but it isn't a good game. It is totally normal to spend alot of time on RPGs before discovering they suck while it is quite obvious on first person shooters and action games as soon as you lay your hands on them.

People need to separate their enjoyment from the quality of the game too. It is totally possible to like a game without it being good, I played all the Ass Creeds known to man, love the historical tourism aspect and watching the cities in their little detail but I have no illusions about they being games with good gameplay or plots. It is totally possible of you liking something and still bitch about it, to people who believe that if they like something they need to defend every single bit of it otherwise people on the internet will make them sad, it maybe better for them to grow some self-confidence instead of doing the classical butthurt fanboy logic "If you played 100 hours of it, it means every single aspect of it must be good."

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Amount of hours spend on doing something has nothing to do with something being fun.
This works to everything games, movies, music, life, shitting etc.

Ehm, sure it does. If you like horror movies and dislike comedies, logic dictates that all things being equal you'll choose a horror movie to watch over a comedy.

I personally have 370h in Skyrim and yet i think vanilla skyrim is a shit game.
I played around 120h of Diablo3 and it is shit game
I played around 30h Planescape Torment and it is one of the best games i have ever played.

All this tells me is that you enjoy shit.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A more effective analogy might have been bad bourbon. After an initially pleasant "nose" the finish turns to ash, instead of the pleasant burn associated with successful distillations of that spirit. Still, you drink it because you want to get drunk.

So, people play Skyrim even though it tastes bad because they want to get drunk.

Right. Yeah.

Fry

Arcane
I love shitting. It's quality reading time at the very least.

If a game doesn't annoy the crap out of me immediately, I tend to finish it. Even if I'm not necessarily enjoying it at the end. I'm also one of those people who will sit through the worst possible movies just to see how the story ends.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Also some games need a significant amount of time to notice the repetitiveness of its content, some more to be sure of it, and an additionnal amount to decide enough is enough and uninstall the crap.
True. But 120 hours? The player must be retarded, unless the game is like 300 hours long and runs out of ideas 100 hours in.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jesus christ.

This fucking thread.

The decline of the codex is real. . .

if jools doesn't get banned for this fucking shit:

Do you know any flawless game?

Monkey Island 1
Monkey Island 2
Indy4
DooM
Tie Fighter
Gothic 2.5
CoD4
Diablo
Rome: Total War
Terraria
Broforce
Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
Ultima IV

Just off the top of my head...

How can we stand for this, and call ourselves MEN?!

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jesus christ.

This fucking thread.

The decline of the codex is real. . .

if jools doesn't get banned for this fucking shit:

Do you know any flawless game?

Monkey Island 1
Monkey Island 2
Indy4
DooM
Tie Fighter
Gothic 2.5
CoD4
Diablo
Rome: Total War
Terraria
Broforce
Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
Ultima IV

Just off the top of my head...

How can we stand for this, and call ourselves MEN?!

What men? Nobody yet, not even you, had balls enough to come up with a list of their own. All I see is gender-confused queergenders like you, at best.

Catfish

Learned
What heretics shit on NV?? :) Shoot them in the head. Repeatedly. And not with a 9mm

Catfish

Learned
More to the point in question, playing Skyrim still beats most peer AAA rpgs. The fact that, say, Morrowind, is infinitely more compelling as an experience, is simply hindered by the fact that one knows most of Morrowind like the back of his hand. This is the same reason Wasteland 2 and PoE are such hits for rpg fans, there is simply nothing better. It is just that "nothing better" doesn't equate to "good", or, rather "as good" as the stuff that initially pulled you into the genre.

PS: I'm not saying W2 ad PoE are bad, just in comparison with the older superiors. Wasteland was pretty bad, though. PoE was okay :)

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
It can't suck hard enough if you spend 100+ hours on it. You'll get the "hang" of most games after say 5-9 hours. You'll recognize patterns then (with some variations). Either you enjoy these patterns, or not. If they suck, then the reasonable solution is to quit, or as a completionist speedrunning through the campaign ASAP. This will never take 100+ hours. If people still claim it "sucks" after such a huge amount of time, you can safely assume their opinion sucks.

Does a life really "suck" if you spend 40 years on it?

Yes, it can still suck. Games are optional. Life not so much. You know what happens after quitting the game, but you don't know what happens after quitting your life. Quitting life may be accompanied by pain and hellish punishment, while quitting a game may be accompanied by a sense of relief. So the fear of the unknown makes you suck up the suck of life.

Fry

Arcane
I
Quitting life may be accompanied by pain and hellish punishment, while quitting a game may be accompanied by a sense of relief. So the fear of the unknown makes you suck up the suck of life.

But... what proof do I really have that quitting my FF XIII play through won't initiate the apocalypse?

mastroego

Arcane
Joke is surely appeared already, but probably we suck if we spend 100 hours on a game :(
Not that it should stop us of course
:M

Nyast

Cipher
So, which game sucks more ? Skyrim or DA: I ?

Because I'd choose Skyrim ( even vanilla ) over DA:I any day

:nocountryforshitposters:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Some people here just equate their personal enjoyment with a game with general quality.

I for example liked the dragon age games because i somehow enjoy the trashy writing and the combat is, while not really demanding, actually entertaining me. And there are even some genuinely good bits sprinkled on those games if you look between all the retardostuff.

So yes, you can have fun with a bad game, and you can be bored with a generally really good game if you are not in the mood for it. So we should always reflect the reasons we dislike a game and not strut around proclaiming a game is shit only because we didnt have superduperhappytimefun with it, because that would only be self entitled jabbering.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
There are lots of factors.

Boredom.

Weed.

Guilty pleasure.

Alcohol.

Some aspects of the game you subjectively like enough that you tough through the rest of the shitty game.

Telengard

Arcane
Just been thinking. A lot of people are shitting on AAA titles like DA:I, Skyrim, et cetera despite having obviously played them for a billion hours. Many people who shit on F:NV here have played it for more hours than F2. I get that those games from a design perspective are really awful, and certainly, the fact you spent 100 hours on Skyrim doesn't mean you think it's time well-spent or necessitates that Skyrim is a *good* game, but can you really say a game you spent 100 hours on *sucks*? At the very least it succeeded in sucking you in to play for that long. Seems hypocritical to me, idk.

Also I've been recommended to post this picture here.

If you spend 100+ hours on a game, you either enjoy it a lot or you're a masochist, there's no middle ground really (no matter what sort of lies you write on the forum afterwards for KKK). Now whether it sucks is a different question entirely, many games can be mediocre to terrible in most areas but have that one thing that keeps you glued on (great mechanics, writing, exploration, graphics, C&C etc.), a lot of it depends on your taste/preference obviously (or even your current mood).
Now now, there is the possibility of the game having a bunch of sex mods, so one must always factor in the powerful third choice that is the masturbatory option adding a bunch of hours.

Disgruntled

Savant
I know I could have sunk 50-100 hours on Skyrim but I never bought it out of principle. Same rule for a lot of mediocre AAA rpgs.
They are very accessible so you dont have to try to enjoy them while you play, like some crime drama tv when nothing else is on.

Ive played an online game or two for over 100 hours despite thinking it sucked but always in hope that it would improve eventually and if it didnt I quit asap.
Dont mind people who have guilty pleasures as long as they dont switch off their critical thinking skills in the process. So while it pains me to see a popamole rpg with 100s of pages on the codex, I can at least read fair opinions that identify the game's faults. Unlike some places with mindless idiots, where playing a game for 100 hours means its a 10/10 goty.

Stokowski

Arcane
Does your marriage really suck if you spend years on it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom