Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DosBox help needed

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Question for anyone here familiar with DosBox:

I just upgraded to new specs below:
ASUS P5Q-Pro LGA 775 Intel P45
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz - Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro 92mm
OCZ Platinum (2 x 1GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel
Visontek Radeon 4850 PCI-e
2x Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB SATA in RAID 0
Western Digital 250GB SATA
Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Memorex DVD-RW Duel Layer

I installed all my programs including DosBox. However, I love retro gaming but can't get DosBox to recognize my keyboard. It loads up just fine but at the Dos prompt I can't type in anything. I can change the ini file to mount C: and the CD-Rom drive but again when I start DosBox it just doesn't recognize ANY keystrokes! The Dos prompt just keeps blinking. I can use the mouse to close the program so it's not freezing on me. I've unistalled, cleaned the registry, and re-installed several times to no avail. I even tried a few frontends but none let me use my keyboard.

The DosBox version is 0.72 and my keyboard is a PS/2 Logitech Media.

I've used DosBox for many years and never had this problem. I've used the same keyboard with DosBox before. I've checked the DosBox forums (Vorgons) but the only keyboard issues talked about are using different language layouts that cause different character keystrokes.

Anyone care to guess what my issue is?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
The two digital raptors are wrecking havoc inside your computer. Call Sam Neill and Jeff Goldblum. They will help you.

No, I have no idea. I'm intrigued, though. I tried checking my Dosbox configurations and couldn't come up with anything. I know. I'm useless. I'm gonna cry now.

Have you tried another keyboard, so that you can tell if the problem is with the keyboard itself or anything else?

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've tried D-Fend and it still won't let me type. My keyboard works for everything else games, posting, etc. it just won't work in DosBox.... VERY frustrating! I don't have another keyboard to use. I was hoping someone would know what the hell is wrong. DosBox worked fine before the upgrade (new motherboard, Core 2 Duo, and vid card).

Frau Bishop

Erudite
mindx2 said:
Bad luck, DosBox doesn't run to well with Arctic Cooling solutions.
I suggest getting a new one, preferable from Papst.

Did you use the latest (D-Fend) Reloaded version for your testrun?

mindx2

Patron
Frau Bishop said:
mindx2 said:
Bad luck, DosBox doesn't run to well with Arctic Cooling solutions.
I suggest getting a new one, preferable from Papst.

Did you use the latest (D-Fend) Reloaded version for your testrun?

I'm not sure why a CPU fan would have anything to do with my keyboard not working with DosBox?

Also, I have used the lastest D-Fend Reloaded.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Try an older version of DosBox. Or post your question at the Vogons forum.

The problem is probably not in the keyboard, but you could start dosbox with the switch -startmapper on the command line. This should launch the keymapper at startup and might give a hint about whether the keyboard is recognized at all.

mindx2

Patron
You have got to be kidding me?!!!! It was ZoneAlarm the whole time. It stopped DosBox from "monitoring keystrokes". I changed the settings in ZoneAlarm and everything works fine now. Man that was a frustrating two days.... banging my head against the wall over something so simple!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom