Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dota 2 Discussion (~Boston Majors & Road to TI7~)

What modes should we play?

• Total voters

Wulfstand

Prophet
So, how is the game? Is it any fun, compared to HoN and LoL? (I am aware that the answers to this question are going to be really biased, but I want to hear them regardless) Does it make you feel as if you're playing dota/does it give you that good ol' dota vibe?

I've heard that the game leavers are a real issue to this game, and that valve hasn't really incorporated any real punishment in this regard, is it true? Also no ward, because 'lol it's only the beta, who gives a fuck?'

meh

Educated
Wulfstand said:
So, how is the game? Is it any fun, compared to HoN and LoL? (I am aware that the answers to this question are going to be really biased, but I want to hear them regardless) Does it make you feel as if you're playing dota/does it give you that good ol' dota vibe?

I've heard that the game leavers are a real issue to this game, and that valve hasn't really incorporated any real punishment in this regard, is it true? Also no ward, because 'lol it's only the beta, who gives a fuck?'

First of all, I haven't played LoL nor HoN. I am dota1 fan through and through. Here are the main features, which differ, are improved from dota1 or are worth mentioning (IMHO). (disclaimer: may not include ones I've forgot)

Simplicity of finding a game
If you have any friends added in steam, you can see what they are doing, f.e. if they are playing dota2: friend is playing as Earthshaker Lvl 14. In the same "Friends" frame you can quickly invite them to party (or from various channels, like in bnet), which will guarantee you will be matched in the same team. Also, I have to mention that if you see your friend is playing you can watch their game. You can join/leave observers any time you want (there's built in >1min delay to avoid ghosting).
After you've formed desired party you can just press "Find a game" and soon you will be matched will similarly skilled players (I have no complaints yet). Takes up to 2-3 minutes max? Currently there are always around 10k people online.

Servers
I've experienced brief lag only on a few occasions in one game. There's minimal delay (50ms?), which is perfectly understandable. I live in Baltic country, so I am matched with players from different countries from Russia to Scandinavia without any problems.

Leavers
Leavers were the issue in the first dota, but in dota2 I've heard there a different pool for leavers who abandon the game. As a result, if you abandon several games there's quite a chance you'll be matched with the same ones as you.
It has to be mentioned that if one player has abandoned the game, there's a system message informing that others players are safe to leave without any repercussions. Although most game I've played finished with 4 players on side. I have yet to abandon the game so I very rarely encounter leavers.
Also, I've almost forgot to mention, there are commend/report buttons to, obviously, report violators/abusers and so on.

Leaving, reconnecting and rejoining
Major improvement. If you crash/leave/disconnect from the game you have 5 minute window to reconnect and continue playing. If don't reconnect or abandon the game yourself, other players will be able to leave the game safely as mentioned beforehand. (Other players continue playing while you reconnect. They can control the hero, but can't sell your items).

Minor in-game features, which spring to mind
Voice chat - useful (there's a squelch option too).
Drawing on the map (yes, you can draw dicks) to show path one should take (addition to pinging the map).
Rebinding keys including skills and items. All skills default on QWER, but you can use original one like in dota1.

Shopping system
You can setup quick buy list, what you are going to buy. Also, if you press to buy Mekansm for instance and have enough gold - the whole item will appear in your inventory. You no longer need to buy ingredients and combine them separately alone.
Another example - if you have 3 branches in your inventory and would like to buy Magic Wand, you press to buy the whole Magic Wand recipe, but the game knows that you already have 3 branches, so it will only buy Magic Stick and the recipe.
Also, the shopping system has a different layout so it takes time to transition from dota1 shopping system.

Graphics
Like in any other gamers it takes time to adjust, remember and recognize various spell effects to know which are which.

Mechanics
Mechanics are totally the same as in dota1 (or atleast very close to). It seems like a dota1, yet it is still different feel, but I have no complaints to be honest.

To sum up (I run out of steam writing), I enjoy playing 2-3 games everyday after I get back from work with my friends :salute:

Would you like to know more?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Except from dick drawing I see no new features that aren't in Hon already, underwhelming :/

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Got a beta invite from a friend. Holy shit WC3 model look alikes everywhere. I thought they were place holders but no. Other than the social features, this game hasn't got anything going on for it that HoN doesn't have.

Padre

Liturgist
My view on the beta from a HoN player standpoint.

Shop features are quite nice, browsing via name is quite good. Autobuy and autoassembly by rightclicking is nothing new. What is does better than HoN is how courier manages to combine items when your inventory is full. In HoN you need to swap items around to combine them.

Terrain is quite nice, trees are done very well. Some heroes look like shit. I know it was supposed to be a true DotA but jesus christ. Comparing Lion to Witch Slayer, Earthshaker to Behemoth or Sven to Hammerstorm it seems like they have no idea how to create 'themed' heroes. Many look bland or just plain stupid. I thought they would change the art direction while keeping the general feel of the hero but they went for full 1:1 port. Also some visual effects are a bit lacking. That's my biggest turn off right now.

Social features - my first game had 3 leavers at 10 minute mark but I think it's because of the beta state and no clear and harsh punishments for leavers.

Engine - game runs pretty flawlessly on my 4 year old rig so that's a plus. Game has been mostly stable and there are no slow downs except for a few seconds after picking phase. The input lag seems to be a little longer than in HoN and it can really fuck up my lasthitting.

Can't really comment on balance but Roshan seems to be dropping like a fly. Maybe I'm just used to Kongor not being affected by -armour items now.

Overall I'm enjoying it for now because of the 'new' heroes since I didn't play the original DotA. As I stated earlier, they should really remake the models for most heroes, they are bland and uninteresting. I know that they want to please conservative dota fans but they should at least try. Also creep:hero size ratio seems to be weird. Some heroes are really small compared to normal lane creeps.

Overall : 4/5

Compared to current HoN: 3/5

Padre

Liturgist
It was posted on HoN forum like 2 years ago. Was fake if memory serves me right.

What I would like to know is,why Icefrog left/was let go by S2. S2 never commented on that and the fact that IC was working for them was revealed by Pendragon himself.

Also, we need this rabid lol fanboy Ulminati or whathisname to review D2 from his perspective and a total newb so we have a 4 point of view majestic review.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I prefer the hero pool of dota2 (even in beta). I rather have fewer but more iterated heroes than 1 new hero per week like in HoN.
Some heroes are pretty ugly, agreed. But they have great chemistry and banter, even the ugly ones.
I feel like turn speed is a little too slow. The mana regen from fountain is too slow as well. A few projectiles feel a little off.
The interface is good enough, functionally. But it's ugly and could be done better.
Overall, even in beta stage, it's the best DotA game at the moment in my opinion.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Padre said:
Also, we need this rabid lol fanboy Ulminati or whathisname to review D2 from his perspective and a total newb so we have a 4 point of view majestic review.

I played HoN and didn't like it. This makes me a rabid fanboy. :roll:

meh

Educated
Soooooo... anyone would like to play together at 17:00 CET or later?

Just PM in steam "meh___".

Wulfstand

Prophet
My friend and I both got invited this morning, and played a game vs. bots together.
Shit's pretty cash, I played with Davion and the nostalgia feel already got to me from the first few minutes. They managed to get the whole vibe quite while, in my opinion.
How 'bout some mm games with the kkkodex crew?

Wulfstand

Prophet
I'll give you one, just pm me your steam nickname. The same goes for anyone else who's interested, i got 2 invites.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Wulfstand said:
I'll give you one, just pm me your steam nickname. The same goes for anyone else who's interested, i got 2 invites.

Colour me tentatively interested. I'm usually online in the codex steam user group as Ulminati (although if memory serves, my actual steam username is "aiee". Autologin makes a man forgetful). If a bunch of other people are willing to sell their left testicle for a shot at DotA2 hoever, prioritize them over me.

Padre

Liturgist
I will probably play later, right now gotta catch some sleep after work. Whoever doesn't have me on his friends list, add shynshyl1734. Changed my ingame nick to Padre to avoid confusion but it's quite a common name on Steam it seems so posting this account name should help.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Another small detail I like in Dota 2 is how units have responses for a lot of things, like denying or using individual skills. It's nothing on the level of DoW 2 (where units even have unique responses for other units) but it's p. cool.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Well, 5 games in I got this to say about DotA 2.

Skyrim had a better UI.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
If you think that's bad, you should check the original LOL UI.

The DOTA 2 shop layout does look awful, though.

MapMan

Arcane
I played like 3 games so far. Am I the only one who thinks this is significantly slower than h0n or dota? (not commenting on lol because its a joke)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
MapMan said:
I played like 3 games so far. Am I the only one who thinks this is significantly slower than h0n or dota? (not commenting on lol because its a joke)

No, you are right. They added a delay to your actions to make the pace slower.

meh

Educated

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom