Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Delterius

Arcane
I liked Dorian's character in DAI.
I hated Zevran & DA2 Anders. Liked Dorian.

dorian is probably the best written character in inquisition. he's a patriot who wants to change his country for the better. but he's still a nobleman. so while he's against blood sacrifice and the classism / racism and everything else associated with it - seeing it as an obsolete crutch that keeps tevinter from unlocking it's population's full potential - he's not a absolute progressive. he's not only ok with slavery, he actually thinks it's kinder to enslave debtors than to hold families as a servant class. and his belief doesn't exist in isolation either. there's a minor character in iron bull's second in command whose backstory is that they were tailors in tevinter and had been so for generations. one day a local slave-owner decided to score some political points and had his slaves make clothes and hand them out for free. the result was that the professional artisans went bankrupt and had to sell themselves as slaves.

tevinter is the most interesting part of the dragon age setting and the real problem is that an actual game set in tevinter is likely to squander the region's potential the same way dragon age 2's plot streamlined kirkwall into a city where every mage is a blood wizard madman and every templar is a psychotic madman.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Zevran and DA2 Anders were written by rotten women whereas Awakening Anders and Dorian were written by a gay man.
thinking.png

Wait never mind, Gaider also wrote Zevran. :lol:

I realize published are overbashed (Kotick was right about Schafer all along and we didn't listen), but there was some stereotypical "Evil EA" shit going on there.
I bet Roguey, knows all about it.
I have read that EA gave Bioware financial goals but they were given full autonomy with regard to how to meet those goals. The execution is all on Bioware.

Ryzer

Arcane
I begin to realize that EA, by shutting down prestigious studios, were preventing us from terrible and shameful sequels and poor image of the company.

Yosharian

Arcane
EA doesn't have to directly interfere with development in order to have a negative effect, that stuff happens naturally when your boss is a soulless corporate entity

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I begin to realize that EA, by shutting down prestigious studios, were preventing us from terrible and shameful sequels and poor image of the company.

Wow, this really makes you think.
It's actually quite possible Mark David Chapman saved us from some serious John Lennon cringe.

BRB, I need to go back in time.

<BZZZT>

f57.jpg

- I love you. I love you, Sinéad O'Connor. That is why I have to do it.
<BLAM>
- It is done. Next stop... Edmonton.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
100% of Dorian's character is "my dad sent me to forced conversion therapy when I was younger".
Yes, but you have to pressure him into saying he's gay when talking to his father. I haven't actually played Inquisition or Andromeda, so I'm not sure whether someone just flat out says they aren't straight in those.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Don't know, man. I've always killed him on sight and, so far, I've been avoiding it just fine.
You've missed out. DA:O has solid cast and Zevran is certainly an important part of it.
Don't know, he always felt off compared to the other companions. The cast of characters is, in my eyes, one of the very few redeeming qualities of this franchise, but Zevran is simply too cringe for my taste. The only character I hate more than Zevran in DA:O is Zevran in DA2.

The only time I gave him a chance, I didn't give him enough attentions and I ended up having to kill him anyway.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Zevran is the annoying edgy ego-tripper that's always right, copied straight from the edgiest anime characters out there. If you kill him, you don't miss out on anything.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
EA is 100% responsible for Bio. FFS They are Bio. Bio is a division of EA. Everything BIO does, it is EA. Period. Good, bad, or ugly. EA is 100% BIO.

FYI, Zevran is easily a top worst 5 companion of all time.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Don't know, he always felt off compared to the other companions.
Off? To me the only "off compared to the other companions" was Wynne because she's actually normal, proper character and all the others are mad ass misfits in one way or another (which makes her sound incredibly boring). As for Zevran himself, my impression was mostly as of cheerful whoremonger and a loyal lapdog. Seems that his behaviour might vary quite a lot. Companions scale and all that shit. But I agree that his presentation is cringe: arrogant look > grey wardens die here! :roll: (iirc). Also I've had no idea that he's made it to DA2. Strange, given that I didn't kill him and used imported saves.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
EA is BIO. That is a fact not debatable. Everything BIO does is ea does because BIO is controlled, owned and is part of ea. Your so called chad above from ea is bio.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I don't see how this game is even worth discussing. These people are worse than jesus freaks, it is impossible for them to make any product that is not first and foremost a vehicle for their religion. Nothing else matters. It's not a question of if it will be pozzed but rather only how many CRT-spouting BLM-dwarves and abortion-wizard transelves you'll see per minute of gameplay.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Tevinter is the most interesting part of the dragon age setting and the real problem is that an actual game set in tevinter is likely to squander the region's potential the same way dragon age 2's plot streamlined kirkwall into a city where every mage is a blood wizard madman and every templar is a psychotic madman.

this.

Tevinter was a really interesting concept that they drip dropped just enough lore to pique my interest on through books / dialogues.
If {current_year} Bioware did a game set in that location, I think it would be completely trampled.

copebot

Learned
gays are the straights of fags now
I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.
Fucking men up the ass is now basically the same as fucking women in the pussy. It's an ancient, classical thing, rooted in patriarchal tradition since even before the Greeks. Vanilla shit. We're in the body mutilation sexual age now.

You might as well stop it with this gay charade and be hetero :lol:

Intercrual stimulation was the more common way. Pederasty was seen as different from homosexual sex between adult males and more permissible. So, it was much more acceptable to screw a prepubescent boy than it was to screw around with another adult man. Current day "homosexual" identities are totally foreign from how practices existed in the classical world. If you have JSTOR access you can read this chapter on the topic in the context of ancient Greek militaries:
Ogden, Daniel, Catherine Gilliver, A.D. Lee, Stephen Mitchell, Ian Shaw, and Hans van Wees. “HOMOSEXUALITY AND WARFARE IN ANCIENT GREECE.” In Battle in Antiquity, edited by Alan B. Lloyd, 107–68. Classical Press of Wales, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2307/j.ctvvn9mv.6.

For a modern equivalent the most obvious parallel that most people would be aware of would be in the culture of Afghanistan. Mutilation is also definitely not new -- Alexander had an affair with a eunuch, for example. In Athens, homosexuality was relatively regulated, particularly to prevent people pimping out or raping non-slave boys.

This is perhaps why citing the ways of the Greeks is not really that convenient for the alphabet people in the current context: the Greek version was between an adult man and a prepubescent boy within various social strictures. It also happened in an environment of legal slavery, so what was permissible to do to slaves might not be permissible to do to free boys. There is also a tendency in historical discussions of these issues to focus on aristocrats living in the high life in urban environments rather than to look at the more restricted norms of the overwhelmingly agricultural society in which just reproducing involved lots of effort the heavy attrition of both wives and babies. Another thing that distinguishes Greek culture from Roman culture is that, although Romans get a bad rap as woman-haters, Roman political mythology is surprisingly heavy on heroic female archetypes like Lucretia and Virginia. The Greeks by comparison tended to find little of redeeming aesthetic or moral value in women, tending to see them as expensive chattel animals.

The other bit that tends to be missed by attempts to try to root contemporary florid rainbow sexuality in the ancients is that, overwhelmingly, classical philosophy tends to favor sexual restraint and skepticism towards pleasure-seeking and luxury. In current terms, they were "sex-negative" and profoundly macho, seeing any expression of effeminacy as something lethally shameful. While current practices emphasize egalitarianism, in the classical world they were supposed to reify social hierarchy, and anything that transgressed that was subject to severe social and legal consequences. The Abrahamic trio religions obviously take a much harder line on any gay stuff, and any attempt to muddle that goes sharply against both historic precedent and scripture.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Intercrual stimulation was the more common way. Pederasty was seen as different from homosexual sex between adult males and more permissible. So, it was much more acceptable to screw a prepubescent boy than it was to screw around with another adult man. Current day "homosexual" identities are totally foreign from how practices existed in the classical world. If you have JSTOR access you can read this chapter on the topic in the context of ancient Greek militaries:
Ogden, Daniel, Catherine Gilliver, A.D. Lee, Stephen Mitchell, Ian Shaw, and Hans van Wees. “HOMOSEXUALITY AND WARFARE IN ANCIENT GREECE.” In Battle in Antiquity, edited by Alan B. Lloyd, 107–68. Classical Press of Wales, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2307/j.ctvvn9mv.6.

For a modern equivalent the most obvious parallel that most people would be aware of would be in the culture of Afghanistan. Mutilation is also definitely not new -- Alexander had an affair with a eunuch, for example. In Athens, homosexuality was relatively regulated, particularly to prevent people pimping out or raping non-slave boys.

This is perhaps why citing the ways of the Greeks is not really that convenient for the alphabet people in the current context: the Greek version was between an adult man and a prepubescent boy within various social strictures. It also happened in an environment of legal slavery, so what was permissible to do to slaves might not be permissible to do to free boys. There is also a tendency in historical discussions of these issues to focus on aristocrats living in the high life in urban environments rather than to look at the more restricted norms of the overwhelmingly agricultural society in which just reproducing involved lots of effort the heavy attrition of both wives and babies. Another thing that distinguishes Greek culture from Roman culture is that, although Romans get a bad rap as woman-haters, Roman political mythology is surprisingly heavy on heroic female archetypes like Lucretia and Virginia. The Greeks by comparison tended to find little of redeeming aesthetic or moral value in women, tending to see them as expensive chattel animals.

The other bit that tends to be missed by attempts to try to root contemporary florid rainbow sexuality in the ancients is that, overwhelmingly, classical philosophy tends to favor sexual restraint and skepticism towards pleasure-seeking and luxury. In current terms, they were "sex-negative" and profoundly macho, seeing any expression of effeminacy as something lethally shameful. While current practices emphasize egalitarianism, in the classical world they were supposed to reify social hierarchy, and anything that transgressed that was subject to severe social and legal consequences. The Abrahamic trio religions obviously take a much harder line on any gay stuff, and any attempt to muddle that goes sharply against both historic precedent and scripture.
I'm not sure what your point is. That the Greeks were based?

Because if it is, I'm in full agreement.

RepHope

Savant
I liked Dorian's character in DAI.

dorian is probably the best written character in inquisition. he's a patriot who wants to change his country for the better. but he's still a nobleman. so while he's against blood sacrifice and the classism / racism and everything else associated with it - seeing it as an obsolete crutch that keeps tevinter from unlocking it's population's full potential - he's not a absolute progressive. he's not only ok with slavery, he actually thinks it's kinder to enslave debtors than to hold families as a servant class. and his belief doesn't exist in isolation either. there's a minor character in iron bull's second in command whose backstory is that they were tailors in tevinter and had been so for generations. one day a local slave-owner decided to score some political points and had his slaves make clothes and hand them out for free. the result was that the professional artisans went bankrupt and had to sell themselves as slaves.

tevinter is the most interesting part of the dragon age setting and the real problem is that an actual game set in tevinter is likely to squander the region's potential the same way dragon age 2's plot streamlined kirkwall into a city where every mage is a blood wizard madman and every templar is a psychotic madman.
Crazy how a fucking one off conversation about life in Tevinter did a better job of making the mage debate gray than the entirety of DA2. Why the fuck didn’t they do more shit like that instead of Nazi Templars and Satanic Mages?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
abortion-wizard transelves

I want this to be a character creation option. What sort of spells and load out do you think this has? :lol:

level 1: Morning After Missile
level 2: Bleach douche-ray
level 3: Coat hanger blast
level 4: Bigby's stomach kick
level 5: Summon: back alley ogre doctor
level 6: Teleport Other: fetus (to planned parenthood, rewards GP)
level 7: Ultrasound Phantasmal killer
level 8: Summon: Margaret Atwood, Greater Swamp Hag
level 9: Power word: Eugenics

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
gays are the straights of fags now
I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.
Fucking men up the ass is now basically the same as fucking women in the pussy. It's an ancient, classical thing, rooted in patriarchal tradition since even before the Greeks. Vanilla shit. We're in the body mutilation sexual age now.

You might as well stop it with this gay charade and be hetero :lol:

You seem very knowledgeable about the homosexual / pederastic behaviors of Antiquity. :lol:

I was just making a joke, but you do have a point. Even Socrates, who was greatly aroused by the boy Alcibiades (who in turn lusted after Socrates), reportedly never touched him and viewed such relationships negatively.

It's also true that most Greek philosophical doctrines of life were about restraint, derived from Socrates' own. But one could say, if that is so, were those philosophies in reaction to the mores of the time, that allowed men to pursue and indulge in their desires?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Plato was probably just salty some guy rejected him and should private his Twitter account asap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom