Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age gameplay footage

http://livewire.ign.com/2008/e3/index.html#

Not sure if people have seen this elsewhere yet, but here it is. Scroll back the time bar to around 9:47am. Greg Zeschuk explains some stuff and they have some isometric combat going on. Looks like RTwP as in BG. First scene they show looks like the visual design was lifted straight from Oblivion, you'll know what I mean when you see it.

Raapys

Arcane
Hmm, I can't see the video, not going to download their stupid player. Is it like Kotor/NWN where you only really control one character at a time, or is it like BG where you can select several at once?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Fuckin' pay attention. Nobody answer this punk.

P.S. the ogre fight is awesome

Anyways,

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In an early Dragon Age preview:

Greig explains that you can issue commands to your party (four characters all told, at least for now) in real time, pause the action, and queue up spells and special attacks--comforting words for anyone who's ventured through Baldur's Gate. As the quartet trades blows, swords clash against swords, and weapons don't just whoosh through the enemy's polygons--they react. When the deadlock breaks, the hero raises his shield to block the foe to the side, and then swivels to the third to knock him to the ground with a shield bash.

"We wanted to make sure that when you look at a fight, it's not just swing, swing, swing...we want to make it look like these guys are actually fi ghting and reacting. And we're making sure group combat is really cool--it's not just two guys fighting; you can actually have synchronized attacks with the people around you, too."

"Instead of people standing toe-to-toe," adds Santos, "you're actually seeing people duck and move and attack. Every time they get hit, you feel for them because they just got bashed in the head with something really heavy.

I haven't watched the whole footage yet, but I'm not seeing this.

bezimek

Scholar
Raapys said:
Hmm, I can't see the video, not going to download their stupid player. Is it like Kotor/NWN where you only really control one character at a time, or is it like BG where you can select several at once?

Like in BG 1/2 RTwP only in full 3D.

Texas Red

Whiner
They're asking to download some player. Like hell I will. Any other link?

Deleted member 7219

Dark Individual said:
They're asking to download some player. Like hell I will. Any other link?

Too cool for it, eh?

Mareus

Magister
Rohit_N said:
In an early Dragon Age preview:

Greig explains that you can issue commands to your party (four characters all told, at least for now) in real time, pause the action, and queue up spells and special attacks--comforting words for anyone who's ventured through Baldur's Gate. As the quartet trades blows, swords clash against swords, and weapons don't just whoosh through the enemy's polygons--they react. When the deadlock breaks, the hero raises his shield to block the foe to the side, and then swivels to the third to knock him to the ground with a shield bash.

"We wanted to make sure that when you look at a fight, it's not just swing, swing, swing...we want to make it look like these guys are actually fi ghting and reacting. And we're making sure group combat is really cool--it's not just two guys fighting; you can actually have synchronized attacks with the people around you, too."

"Instead of people standing toe-to-toe," adds Santos, "you're actually seeing people duck and move and attack. Every time they get hit, you feel for them because they just got bashed in the head with something really heavy.

I haven't watched the whole footage yet, but I'm not seeing this.

From what I have seen battles look a lot like NWN2 except that the big demon can grab the character and smash him around a bit. Not really impressive considering what was promised in the beginning. However the isometric camera looks a lot better and actually allows you to see much more than NWN2. Character animations still look a bit clunky, but hopefully Bio will polish it before the game comes out.

MetalCraze

Arcane
OK watching now

Top down view is OK, I don't like 3rd person view. Combat looks incredibly boring. Poor animations, lack of dynamics. I mean close combat units are just waving weapons at each other and that's it (I can live with this in TB but in RT it looks just too repetitive). In NWN and KotOR we had different blocking animations, different attacking animations. Why not do it again? Well maybe when playing the game it will look much more interesting but not now.
But somehow there are just nothing impressive in what I see. Also I kinda hate those cinematic cutscenes.
But Bioware sucks at combat since 2002 so no wonder, and combat is not the main thing that concerns me.
The IGN retard "so when will we be able to see a dragon?"
who gives a fuck? Show me what I want. Show me RPG.
Greg: Bla bla bla. Bla bla bla.
Some retard from IGN forums with a question: "do you think retro top down view is a good idea for graphics capabilities of today?" :roll:
Greg: Bla bla bla
The end.

Damn what a boring presentation.

sabishii

Arbiter
Stop being a graphics whore. They've got half a year to put in whatever animations, anyway. BTW NWN animations were still boring, and KotOR animations only looked good because it had lightsabers.

Raapys

Arcane
Well, sucks a bit to see them keep the 'as long as one character survive the rest will rise automatically' thing. Baldur's Gate's way of doing it was much better, actually made you careful how you did stuff to keep everyone alive.

No multiplayer could be both good and bad, hopefully it means they'll put that much more effort into the singleplayer part.

Too bad the movie basically only showed the third person camera thing, which looks sucky.

Not sure what to thing about the whole 'finishing move' thing. Hope they're not wasting alot of resources on it.

Wish we'd see a bit more spells. Somehow have a feeling the spell-selection is gonna be very limited, which would be a real downer for me.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
" BTW NWN animations were still boring"

You are fuckin' dumb.

"Wish we'd see a bit more spells"

We
ve had 3 minutes of gameplay total. In those 3 minutes, at least 3 spells were shown. Get over it, fuck.

Raapys

Arcane
You're becoming boring now Volourn.

Try doing something unpredictable.

sabishii

Arbiter
" BTW NWN animations were still boring"

You are fuckin' dumb.
No, sorry, I probably spent more time playing NWN modules than the typical person who played NWN. They were fucking boring.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Dgaider just confirmed earlier today that the characters will rise after battle but will have stat effecting injuries that you'll need to heal. He also suggested that adding death as a possible result of being taken down could be added, maybe.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"No, sorry, I probably spent more time playing NWN modules than the typical person who played NWN. They were fucking boring."

No, no. Theyw eren't. the avergae person is lame. Just like you. Next.

sabishii

Arbiter
Volourn said:
"No, sorry, I probably spent more time playing NWN modules than the typical person who played NWN. They were fucking boring."

No, no. Theyw eren't. the avergae person is lame. Just like you. Next.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Shoelip said:
Dgaider just confirmed earlier today that the characters will rise after battle but will have stat effecting injuries that you'll need to heal. He also suggested that adding death as a possible result of being taken down could be added, maybe.

That still sucks however. A game for "hardcore BG players" my ass. I don't believe they will add a party members death however. Not with EA having infarcts at a thought that somebody will consider the game too hardcore and won't touch it.
Heh BG even had permadeath of characters, like after disintegrate spell or some critical damage when your characters were low at hp.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Can we ban volourn soon? He's not even remotely entertaining anymore."

Is that the best you gots? NEWSFLASH: I'm not ehre to entertain you. If you stopped worrying about me so much and focus on disucssing games; your heart wouldn't be so stressed out over whether or not I entertain you enough. R00fles!

P.S. BG is dead. LONG LIVE DA! 1 billion times better than that wannabe RPG known as the BG series.

WalterKinde

Scholar
That sucks so DA:Origins will mimic Kotor, Kotor 2 , ME and possibly Jade Empire (haven't played this but i suspect its similar) with your party members springing back up to life after a battle.
Thats just lame agree with skyway knowing that you couldn't raise some of characters in BG because of Perm death spells or getting in conditions that could cause perm death kept you on your toes.
If all you have to do for DA is just make sure YOU survive and the party will spring back up after the fight if you win thats not much fun.
Even with a death penalty like low hp etc (those were already in KOTOR etc)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom