Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dragon Age II Preview

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Finally, I'm making progress. Eventually, the Codex will admit the truth in unison: ME is Action RPG.

Not hard, not complicated, not complex.

Let's type it together: ME is an Action RPG.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
ME1 is an action RPG, I never denied that. With a heavy emphasis on the action part, but still an action RPG.

ME2 OTOH is just a shooter :smug:

Seolas

Liturgist
Why are they changing DA so much, it sold well, made them lots of money, and got a diehard following drooling for the sequel. So they want to popamole it to the extreme for what reason? I admittedly enjoyed DA:O and Awakenings as an imperfect but pretty good game but DA2 just looks atrocious to me and this first day buyer of the DA:O, expansion, and all of the DLC minus the stupid Feastday gifts doesn't even want DA2 at least until its GOTY edition goes on sale.

circ

Arcane
It's dumbed down further because they simply can't code. DA:O took 10 years. Halfway through that they anounced they were working on a BG 'spiritual' sequel. Now they have to produce DA 2 in 2 years.

HOW THE FUCK ARE WE GOING TO PULL THIS FUCKER OFF? JESUS FUCK WE ARE SCREWED MAN. WE CAN RE USE THE RESOURCES AND SHIT BUT WE STILL GOTTA WRITE NEW SHIT.

TAKE A CHILL PILL MAN. WE OUTSOURCE THE WRITING TO THAT KINDERGARTEN AGAIN. WE DOWNGRADE EVERYTHING, EVEN THE CHAR GENERATOR. DISTRACT THEM WITH AN EPIC AD CAMPAIGN. THEY WILL GOBBLE IT UP LIKE GAIDER'S COC... OH HI DAVE.

HEY GUYS, 'SUP?

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Seolas said:
Why are they changing DA so much, it sold well, made them lots of money, and got a diehard following drooling for the sequel. So they want to popamole it to the extreme for what reason? I admittedly enjoyed DA:O and Awakenings as an imperfect but pretty good game but DA2 just looks atrocious to me and this first day buyer of the DA:O, expansion, and all of the DLC minus the stupid Feastday gifts doesn't even want DA2 at least until its GOTY edition goes on sale.

I'm pretty sure most of the previews we're seeing are for the console versions. As I understand it, they are indeed 'streamlining' these to make them even more suited for console play.

Of course the PC version will also feature some SL'ing (dumbing down), but to a much lesser extent. For example, you can still play the PC version in zoomed out/top down perspective and features a completely different UI.

Then again - I could just be speaking out my ass (which is not unusual). :M

Radisshu

Prophet
Jools said:
catfood said:
It never ceases to amaze how close portugese and romanian are, even though the two countries are more than a thousand kilometres apart.

E RPG
Nu e RPG
Porcărie orientală.

Welcome to the Amazing World of Latin Languages. :)

Or just language families in general.

Arcanoix

Scholar
Volourn said:
"Mass effect is a story driven shooter and is good at that, but it isnt a rpg it doesnt play as one,"

Action RPG,a nd it plays exactly like an Action RPG.

I'm pretty sure it's a shooter given 85% of the time you're blowing holes in shit, the other 15% of the time you're collar grabbing. The ending is the same, also, as there are no options to join the Reapers, thus lacking Choice/Consequence. The game is a shooter. Nothing more. Nothing less.

made

Arcane
But-Guys-how-do-we-define-an-Action-RPG.jpg

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
If you can jump and level up then it's an action rpg.

Naturally, this means Mass Effect is not an action rpg. Because it's not. It's a failed covershooter that moves too slow to be any fun or actiony and it has useless stats and useless equipment that detracts further from both the ACTION and RPG elements. Thus it is not an action rpg. It is a shit game.

Chateaubryan

Cipher
Andyman Messiah said:

Naturally, this means Mass Effect is not an action rpg.

You're divagating : it is possible to jump with the Mako.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Chateaubryan said:
Andyman Messiah said:

Naturally, this means Mass Effect is not an action rpg.

You're divagating : it is possible to jump with the Mako.

You're right. Whenever Shepard is driving the mako, Mass Effect is an action rpg.

Hegel

Arcane
Am I the only pure blood codexer left?
I still haven't played: DA, any Mass Effect title, FO3, NV, Alpha brotocol.
So fresh, so clean clean.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
AlaCarcuss said:
Seolas said:

I'm pretty sure most of the previews we're seeing are for the console versions. As I understand it, they are indeed 'streamlining' these to make them even more suited for console play.

Of course the PC version will also feature some SL'ing (dumbing down), but to a much lesser extent. For example, you can still play the PC version in zoomed out/top down perspective and features a completely different UI.

Nope. I don't buy it. Bioware will have to do better than that to convince me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom