Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dragon Age II Previews

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
racofer said:
Jaesun! SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Sit back and enjoy the fucking show.

Allrighty then. ;)

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Volourn said:
"which was their best-selling game"

ME2 would argue with you. The games are pretty much neck and neck.

Even in that case, they manage(d) to publish two games quite different from each other in parallel and both sold well, since target audiences differed. Now they will have two titles competing for the same audience, alienating a part of their costumer base. It doesn't seem like a savvy business decision. You don't mess with the winning team (regardless of the quality of their games, it is obvious that following the formula resulted in a financial success).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Xor said:
I'm convinced this is EA's doing. Bioware actually tried to make RPGs before being bought out, even if they basically kept making the same game over and over.
Craigy seems to be right for once (or twice or thrice). I just love mashing my print screen button on the Bioware forums:
ev5is7.png

I guess he could be lying, but eh. I like how he frequently interacts with the fanbase, even if he says a lot of crazy things (that's part of the entertainment truthfully).

MetalCraze

Arcane
Stop fucking blaming EA like some slavers. Devs work for them willingly you know. If Bioware devs didn't like to rape their games they would've left and found a new publisher in an instant.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
MetalCraze said:
Stop fucking blaming EA like some slavers. Devs work for them willingly you know. If Bioware devs didn't like to rape their games they would've left and found a new publisher in an instant.

I worked for EA for a couple of months. If there is ever a company that deserves being equated to slavers, its that one.

flushfire

Augur
Playing as a Rogue proved to be a faster, more strategic experience than our last encounter with the game in which we played a sword-wielding knight. In this go-around, we dodged and slashed our way through the encounter
in addition to just slashing the enemy's face you also have to dodge a few times as a rogue. that's definitely more strategic, wow. also, no more flanking/backstabbing with the rogue, straight up combat is better? cool

racofer

Thread Incliner
flushfire said:
also, no more flanking/backstabbing with the rogue, straight up combat is better? cool

In DA:O later on that happened as well with paralysis runes and all those stun spells.

torpid

Liturgist
janjetina said:
Volourn said:

Even in that case, they manage(d) to publish two games quite different from each other in parallel and both sold well, since target audiences differed. Now they will have two titles competing for the same audience, alienating a part of their costumer base. It doesn't seem like a savvy business decision. You don't mess with the winning team (regardless of the quality of their games, it is obvious that following the formula resulted in a financial success).

I doubt they'll alienate much of their core fanbase. Although they may complain, Bioware holds them -- quite literally -- by the balls. The fans are in it for the "storytelling," so as long as they can delve into many a furry dungeon they'll buy the game.

Drakron

Arcane
torpid said:
I doubt they'll alienate much of their core fanbase. Although they may complain, Bioware holds them -- quite literally -- by the balls. The fans are in it for the "storytelling," so as long as they can delve into many a furry dungeon they'll buy the game.

Maybe but those will be hundred or thousand and not millions and the ones that are complaining are not really Bioware fans, a example if how the Nexus that been a "Bethsoft" site had a Dragon Age site, you think this kind of crap will fly with Bethsoft "open world" crowd?

Also they did say Mass Effect 3 will have more RPG elements and I dont think it will compete against DA2 that is going out the door March next year as ME3 does not even have any kind of date indicated, its likely to have a late 2011/early 2012 release date but nothing have been said, in fact I find all affair confusing as this rush out of the door seems to indicate someone at EA upper echelon wants to bury the IP.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There's a good thread running right now on the Bioware forum about New Vegas adding in some depth and complexity and whether that means RPGs like DA2 are going to be expected to do so as well, or at least keep the depth they have.

Gaider responded by saying Bioware makes linear story-driven games so the comparison is flawed, which might be correct.

Thread here: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... /5239812/1

Shannow

Waster of Time
janjetina said:
Volourn said:

First of all: The suits think they know what sells. They've made their jobs into selling bullshit to people, afterall.
Secondly, they're probably right this time. The non-codexer I met who loved "RPGs" was all over DA:O. But not over the gameplay/mechanics (as they were mostly shit anyway), he agonized for hours over the face-gen... :roll:
And he loved the story... :roll:
And in contrast to most codexers he was a likable, fairly intelligent guy.
I'm not a hardcore RPGer and I found DA:O to be a far too moronic and boring experience (= too non-hardcore) to have been interested if DA2 had copied everything with only changing the story. So additional dumbing down doesn't affect me. Should be similar for some people.
A few who liked DA:O might be turned off, but to compensate Bio hopes for even more morons out of the action-crowd.

Drakron

Arcane
DalekFlay said:
Gaider responded by saying Bioware makes linear story-driven games so the comparison is flawed, which might be correct.

Except that DA:O was a (relative) open world and non-linear at approach and even quest completion that offered cosmetic C&C.

Gaider is, as I expected. to not address the issue but giving a statement that even if true its still not the point as we are talking about DA:O ... not strange as even if he think DA2 is rubbish he will spew the company line, as any company employer is expected to.

... Until the next game that is, then suddenly "flaws! flaws everywhere !!!" comments will start as a assurance their new shit will not stink, kinda like game journalists that will suddenly find flaws in games that expected their notice when they doing the review.

I sooner trust a politician that a game developer.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
David Gaider said:
Even on the off chance that we did go "OMG choice is in again? We need to change everything!" there'd be little we could do to change course without delaying the game and starting over on huge parts of it.

lol.

Rhalle

Magister
Roguey said:
I guess he could be lying, but eh.).

It's all "thoughtful" bullshit. Their interaction on the boards is to hone their poor lying skills and trick the kids.

Plus, what in the fuck does Laidlaw care about vdieogames? He's a damn hired gun whose job it is to sell shit, whatever that shit may be.

They fired Dan Tudge so they could bring in a pair of Chosen salesmen-- Laidlaw and Silverman-- to pimp the piece of garbage that DA was and DA2 will be.

Do either of them really know anything about video games?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Drakron said:
Except that DA:O was a (relative) open world and non-linear at approach and even quest completion that offered cosmetic C&C.
I'm pretty sure DA was as story-driven as it gets (Don't want to be a Grey Warden? Too bad, drink the blood). You had your choice of hubs but that didn't make it non-linear considering each one had its own linear progression. You couldn't break a sequence or go to places you're not "supposed" to be in yet like you can in a proper open world.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Even in that case, they manage(d) to publish two games quite different from each other in parallel and both sold well, since target audiences differed. Now they will have two titles competing for the same audience, alienating a part of their costumer base."

BIO's audience has always been the same. they never have two different audiences. It's not like 3 mil people bought DA2, and 3 million different people bought ME2. A high percentage bought both.

Needles

Scholar
Re: Dragon Age II Preview

moron said:
Complexity is for work. Fun stories are for games.

BioWare will continue to streamline the banal aspects of RPGs (loot, useless items, complexity for no reason). This will continues to annoy the "Old Skool" (I call them Excel gamers) because they love to see how the numbers "move" in the equations and impact the mechanics, but most people won't care. Most people want the character and plot choices and the fun story to look back on. Dragon Age 2 looks (we don't *know*) like it is going to offer a play style that takes a solid step toward the storytelling they did with Mass Effect 2... The games is going to rock so much ass. :)

:M

edit: also, I present to you Epic Chess Story 2.0, made by bioware.
orgy-chess-set.jpg

Complexity is for work. Fun stories are for games!!!

MetalCraze

Arcane
That "moron" sounds very much like many people here.

Money suits just found a way to make people who hate games buy them - they watch those interactive movies called "games" and think they are gamers and people who indeed like games are just some bitter oldfags that don't know how to have fun to them.

When I tried playing ME2 I was really amazed at how shitty Bioware "games" have become. It's like you are riding on rails from one tedious cutscene to another and shooting gameplay is so fucking badly done it feels like it's a poor excuse to have some reason to call it a game, a filler between neverending cutscenes that aren't even interesting to watch because it looks like today we need a cutscene whenever some bitch breaks a nail.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom