Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest VI

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Been playing this recently as part of my chronological playthrough of the whole DQ series. Unfortunately, I couldn't play the original SNES version, since its translation patch is incomplete and has missing features (for example, you can't see how much gold you have until you go to a shop), so I had to emulate the DS version.

I've heard that this game isn't very well-regarded. The story's pretty good so far, but the pacing is really strange. For example, you don't even get a ship until you've fought two fake-out final bosses (and that second boss is ridiculously hard on the DS version, with no convenient way to grind levels at that part of the game). There's also tons of stupid flags you have to trigger for story progress; just about every town has some kind of story scene you have to trigger before you can continue with the plot, and before you trigger that scene, your next objective will have someone standing in the way saying "hey retard, we're not ready yet, so go walk around some more!". DQ5 had some shit like that (the very first scene on the ship comes to mind, where you have to talk to everyone before the ship docks), but DQ6 is really obnoxious with it.

The fact that DQ6 is the only mainline DQ game without a fan translation probably speaks to its unpopularity - even the SNES remake of DQ3 (which is basically a reskin of SNES DQ6) has had a translation for a very long time.

Modron

Arcane
Dragon Quest 3, 6, and 7 are my favorites of the series (played all of the proper ones besides 8 and 9). Never played any of the DS/3DS remakes.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Been playing this recently as part of my chronological playthrough of the whole DQ series. Unfortunately, I couldn't play the original SNES version, since its translation patch is incomplete and has missing features (for example, you can't see how much gold you have until you go to a shop), so I had to emulate the DS version.

I've heard that this game isn't very well-regarded. The story's pretty good so far, but the pacing is really strange. For example, you don't even get a ship until you've fought two fake-out final bosses (and that second boss is ridiculously hard on the DS version, with no convenient way to grind levels at that part of the game). There's also tons of stupid flags you have to trigger for story progress; just about every town has some kind of story scene you have to trigger before you can continue with the plot, and before you trigger that scene, your next objective will have someone standing in the way saying "hey retard, we're not ready yet, so go walk around some more!". DQ5 had some shit like that (the very first scene on the ship comes to mind, where you have to talk to everyone before the ship docks), but DQ6 is really obnoxious with it.

The fact that DQ6 is the only mainline DQ game without a fan translation probably speaks to its unpopularity - even the SNES remake of DQ3 (which is basically a reskin of SNES DQ6) has had a translation for a very long time.
Is this not a good translation?

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/344/

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
It's got some bugs, like not being able to see your gold outside of shops, or the game crashing when trying to back out of the Info-All menu. There's also some untranslated text in certain parts of the game. A lot of people have played the game this way, but I really can't stand not being able to see how much gold I've got.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom