Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

deuxhero

Arcane
Now out of the top 75 in a month of launch
https://steamcharts.com/app/2054970
I hope the sales flatlined after that 2.5 million once people saw how big a pile of shit this virtual GRIDS (denuvo) infected tranny focused microtransaction crap with fully functional features purposefully cut was.

Last edited:

Shinji

Savant
I don't get what's the point of the lion masks.
I equipped the Arisen and the main pawn with them, but the furry lady didn't allowed me to cross the border.
I even dismissed one of the furry pawns I had enlisted to check if it was a bug.

What's more funny, this same dismissed pawn decided to cross the border after that, and the gate then opened for him.
I mistakingly thought it was for me but then the guards started attacking me, prompting me to run for my life.

Now I know what it feels to be a mexican.

Shaki

Arbiter
I equipped the Arisen and the main pawn with them, but the furry lady didn't allowed me to cross the border.
I even dismissed one of the furry pawns I had enlisted to check if it was a bug.

What's more funny, this same dismissed pawn decided to cross the border after that, and the gate then opened for him.
I mistakingly thought it was for me but then the guards started attacking me, prompting me to run for my life.

During main quest you get a border permit from Brant, but it's only for Beastrens, so if you're a human you need to buy a mask to use it.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I hope the sales flatlined after that 2.5 million once people saw how big a pile of shit this virtual GRIDS (denuvo) infected tranny focused microtransaction crap with fully functional features purposefully cut was.
You know, I think there's one of those threads up on /v/ right now
It's also full of malding niggers still obssed with the game even 1 month after release (despite being such a flop)
Why don't head over there instead, that way you can be with your kind

Shinji

Savant

During main quest you get a border permit from Brant, but it's only for Beastrens, so if you're a human you need to buy a mask to use it.
I still need to advance the main quest then.

Regardless, it's quite nice that the game allows you to cross the border using your own creative means. I've also found a passage below the bridge that allows you to cross the border as well. But it's the hard way to solve the problem, naturally.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat

That shits for pussies. Real men kill all the guards and just walk in. Asking the Arisen for credentials is treason and is punishable by death. I pretty much kill any NPC that mouths off to me at this point. The true king doth as it pleases.

You should like stick your arm in a cage of lions. Or just jump in.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
The pass I got from Brant works without any kind of mask. Probably a cut feature.

I've noticed a lot of false info being spread about this game such as people advising to dress like a guard in order to infiltrate the castle. Nope. You just need to avoid the few specific guards who block doorways.

Not to mention there's a cave that leads around the Battahl checkpoint if you really want to get in.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
The pass I got from Brant works without any kind of mask. Probably a cut feature.

I've noticed a lot of false info being spread about this game such as people advising to dress like a guard in order to infiltrate the castle. Nope. You just need to avoid the few specific guards who block doorways.

Not to mention there's a cave that leads around the Battahl checkpoint if you really want to get in.
On my 1st playthrough I got both a beast border pass and a border pass that works for humans. On my NG+ playthrough he only gave me the beastren border pass. I'm not sure how it works. It's either random or you need to complete a certain number of quests to get the all access pass. I skipped alot of shit in my NG+ run so I'm assuming that had something to do with it?

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I heard there's a battle with a Titan, but my Titan was killed in a cutscene by some guards while I was traveling in another part of the map.

Was this supposed to happen or did I miss an epic fight?

You missed an epic fight. Some quests are timed when you trigger them, so you need to not start dicking around.
Why tf would he not run straight to the giant titan wreaking havoc? Just what the hell were you doing Terenty? Picking flowers? Getting your hair and nails done?

Terenty

Liturgist
I heard there's a battle with a Titan, but my Titan was killed in a cutscene by some guards while I was traveling in another part of the map.

Was this supposed to happen or did I miss an epic fight?

You missed an epic fight. Some quests are timed when you trigger them, so you need to not start dicking around.
Why tf would he not run straight to the giant titan wreaking havoc? Just what the hell were you doing Terenty? Picking flowers? Getting your hair and nails done?
The quest started with Phaesus going to the Volcanic Island and there was no indication the quest was timed, no hourglass pic in the quest log. I knew it was an end game quest, so decided to go finish some other quests first and explore the rest o the map. Titan appearing all of a sudden without my prompt was quite unexpected.

On one hand it's pretty cool that you can miss such a thing and the world goes on without you, on the other they should have telegraphed it better

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I don't know, when I started that quest I got the sense I was pretty much locked into it. It felt very "no turning backish" for lack of a better word because you're
racing to stop Phaesus from summoning the dragon.

One thing I'm curious about is if Ambrosius' plan would have worked if you stopped Phaesus in time.

Shaki

Arbiter

I got the Beastren pass, and it didn't work without the mask, maybe there are 2 different passes you can get, depending on earlier quest choices or smth?

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat

I got the Beastren pass, and it didn't work without the mask, maybe there are 2 different passes you can get, depending on earlier quest choices or smth?
There is 100% a Joe Biden pass. I have no idea how I got it. I've never had to buy that stupid beast mask to get into Battahl.

There's several ways to get in. There's the long way around, you can jump on a oxcart passing through, or you can just walk in when the gate opens for an oxcart. The latter two will turn the guards hostile but whatever. They're assholes so it always fun killing them.

Darboven

Novice
So, I'm on NG+, and I've been given 2 quest rewards that make me wonder the sphinx gave me a partcrystal, daphne gave me a golden stove beetle
Is this some kind of joke? Some sick and twisted sense of humor? I know I've offered those 2 items as quest rewards before - it would actually be cool if that was the reason. Did anyone else on NG+ do those 2 quests yet?

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
So, I'm on NG+, and I've been given 2 quest rewards that make me wonder the sphinx gave me a partcrystal, daphne gave me a golden stove beetle
Is this some kind of joke? Some sick and twisted sense of humor? I know I've offered those 2 items as quest rewards before - it would actually be cool if that was the reason. Did anyone else on NG+ do those 2 quests yet?
There's a limit to how many you can have. Once you reach the max limit of portcrystals you will only get fakes no matter what.

I learned this the hard way when I went to Sphinx in NG+. I brought a fake portcrystal with me (and was also rewarded a fake). Always pay close attention to the item's name.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Class roundup:

Fighter--
+Good allrounder
+Shield block and counter are useful
+Fun 'brawler' playstyle where you jump, dash, and bash everything to bits
+Empale is a useful finisher
-Lacks really 'decisive' moves that can destroy big monsters
-Master skill unimpressive

Fighters are fun and I usually have one on my team but they lack the zazz factor of other classes.

Thief--
+Only class with a dodge move
+lots of cool and decisive attacks
+Wall jump is handy
+steal things
+Free bombs
-Too many good moves to fit into 4 slots
-Master skill is meh
-Stamina hog

Thieves are awesome but heavily skill dependent. Pawns do not generally play them to their full potential. Also stop using the master move, it's a waste of a slot.

Archer--
+You can attack things at range
+Not as terrible as the Trickster
-No defensive abilities of note
-Underpowered
-Weak
-Dumb
-Looks stupid
-Virgin

What happened here? The split of strider into Thief/Archer really shafted this class. Takes forever to kill things and that's if you main them and play aggressive. Only class that requires ammo for some moves is bullshit. Archer pawns are a straight up liability. Only worth it for the lethality augment.

Mage--
+Primary healer
+Decent attack magic
+Buffs
+Levitate is the best traversal skill
-4 slots is a joke
-Shitty HP unless you cross train
-Magic is not amazing against bosses
-Please stop slotting Flagration, that move is just a 'kill me' sign on pawns.

Not much to say, they're your primary healers. I would only run without a mage if I mained Magic archer, and even then it's preferable to have one. The only thing you can really say is that a dedicated chirurgeon pawn with healing items might be faster and more reliable, but nothing beats a mage for convenience.

Warrior--
+All attacks are decisive
+Great for bosses
+Large swords fully compensate for personal shortcomings
+Shoulder charge is kind of like a dodge
+GUTS
-Slow as balls
-Enemies can just walk away from your moves
-You have to facetank everything
-Fairly miserable against regular mobs

Warrior is a super satisfying class to play because the moves feel so tactical and effective. The problem is the 90% of fights against goblins and wolves are awful.

Sorcerer--
+Big nukes
+Good for bosses
-Only a self-heal
-Big spells are slow and can't be sped up
-Just as squishy as mages

The Sorc-exclusive elemental spells are all DoTs that are kind of shitty, but getting Maelstrom, Meteoron, and Prescient flare makes up for it. It's hard to say if Sorc pawns are worth the drawbacks vs. warriors or thieves but in my experience pawns have less ways to fuck up as Sorcs.

Mystic Spearhand--
+Attacks are strong as fighter but fast like thieves
+Dash move can fly!
+Party shield buff is awesome
+Strong attack is a ranged magic hit
-Lack of decisive attacks
-Stunbolt R1 move sucks
-Many weapon skills feel shitty

Cool class that feels like it needed another balance pass. The melee attacks are great but there is only 3 of them. Magic moves are mostly garbage, the stun bolt on R1 is spectacularly useless. Does no damage and makes enemies flinch, big whoop. There's a charged stunbolt move that can be chained to multiple enemies but the timing is bullshit, and you can teleport to stunned enemies but why would you when you have the dash attack? There's even a weapon skill to let you fast-charge the stunshot but it costs health to use, plus the skill slot. Just, why? The magic missile skill is pathetic and even the charge up magic attack feels underwhelming. This class has tons of zazz but wish it had a better overall moveset.

Magic Archer--
+Bow attacks deal magic damage, which most enemies are vulnerable to
+Starfox-lock on
+Guided MGS missile
+Ranged AoE heal and pawn revive
+Augments provide passive team buffs
+Absolute Chad the Archer wishes he could be
-Weak defensive options
-No melee
-Late availability if playing casually

Dope AF class. Fire your lazors and kill everything. Best taken after leveling up as mage/sorc to maximize magick score. My only complaint is how far in the damn game you have to be to unlock it. I don't see why you don't learn this from the Elf town, since the trainer is an elf and she gives you the master skill the instant you unlock the class. Clearly she was supposed to be at the village and teach the class earlier, then teach you the master move later.

Trickster--
+Gets the Detection augment to find tokens
-Lol

Class does not work. Your two moves are to turn enemies against each other or trick them into jumping off ledges. I never got either to work right, and obviously useless on bosses. There's a party damage buff that could be good but it drains their health, so fuck off. This class should have been some type of summon/pet class but it's probably too late to fix it

Warfarer--
+Can wear any armor and use all weapons
-Weaker base stats than other classes
-Still limited to four skills no matter how many weapons you have
-Weapon change skill takes up a slot

Warfarer is obviously meant to be the endgame class after you maxed everything else, allowing you to combine multiple playstyles into a custom move set. Handy for traversal since you can have levitate and wall jump available any time. Note that the penalties for this class are relative; a Warfarer with Warrior or Sorc skills loses a good chunk of damage but a Thief warfarer doesn't lose as much while gaining better armor options. Personally I find the quick change skill taking up a slot intolerable, it should allow you to equip 2 weapons but get three different slots for each, IMO (how DD1 worked). Or the quick weapon change should be built into the class and not take up a slot.

Looking at all the classes, I think Thief is overall the most fun and effective with the fewest issues. I hate that Trickster is such a joke class since it feels like a waste, and there's no Advanced Archer or Thief (Ranger and Assassin?) My favorite playstyle in DD1 was Sword + Bow on the Assassin which you can do here with Warfarer, but the 4 slot limit makes it less fun. Oh well

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I more or less agree with the above, but think that the warfarer nerf compared to specialized classes is mostly overblown because of how easy the game is overall and the flexibility you pick up.

For instance, I stopped taking sorcs early on because they'd often melt shit and I wouldn't even get to fight a lot of the time. And spells like meteoron have a nasty tendency to destroy loot. Great times when you're fighting a rare enemy that has drops you need.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
One other thing I wanted to mention about magic classes, many good armors for mages are distinctly feminine. So men are somewhat gimped in those classes unless you want to look like a fag.

I haven't had issues with meteors destroying loot but I did have that happen with magic archer's sticky fireball attack. Consarn it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
One other thing I wanted to mention about magic classes, many good armors for mages are distinctly feminine. So men are somewhat gimped in those classes unless you want to look like a fag.

Archers and thieves too. I ended up changing my Arisen from M to F because because his armour was so gay. You pretty much need to wear fighter and warrior stuff to fully avoid this. :lol:

I haven't had issues with meteors destroying loot but I did have that happen with magic archer's sticky fireball attack. Consarn it.

Same issue, I think. Some sort of explosive overkill destroying the corpse.

Terenty

Liturgist
Finished the game after 90 hours and haven't encountered a single instance of dragons plague, only pawns saying about a rumour they heard etc and that's it. Did I miss something again? Why didn't it trigger at all?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom