Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Drakensang: Phileasson's Secret to Have English Release

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Drakensang

<p>Possibly. Mind you, it's not like the publisher send over a press release or announced something. It's just that <a href="http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DSPS/drakensang-phileassons-secret" target="_blank">Gamersgate lists the game</a> - the expansion to <strong>Drakensang: The River of Time</strong> - as being released on May 13th. So, this is [Unconfirmed].</p>
<blockquote>
<p>"Phileasson's Secret" continues the popular Drakensang franchise with an epic new chapter. Phileasson is one of the most important characters in the world of "The Dark Eye" and his story is very popular among pen &amp; paper fans, fitting perfectly within the Drakensang series.<br /><br />Ending some weeks before the events of 'River of Time', the "Phileasson Campaign" enjoys a similar setting and atmosphere, creating a great opportunity for expanding the adventures of the famous Thorwaler Phileasson.<br /><br />"The River of Time" has already introduced the river itself, dubious pirates and many secrets which can be connected to the "Phileasson Campaign", making this 'Add-On' very authentic and a natural continuation of the unique world of Aventuria.<br />Features<br /><br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; * Powerful new weapons and items to discover.<br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; * New monsters giving the player extra challenges.<br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; * A huge new location with a completely unique setting.<br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; * Many new quests, supported by top quality cutscenes.<br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; * Several new unique characters.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><em>Thanks to Brother None for pointing this out.</em></p>

Gord

Arcane
According to most reviews on german Amazon, the add-on isn't exactly worth playing anyway.
Main criticism include:
*not much new content
*boring quest
*lots of filler combat
*short duration
*high price
-> content of a DLC for the price of an add-on (although it might be cheaper now)

misha

Educated
I've got a general question; I haven't played Drakensang at all.
It's a party based rpg, so at least for me it's quite interesting... so the question is: is it worth playing? What do you think of it in general?

Gord

Arcane
I liked them, too.
Second one is a bit better overall, but 1st one has more possible companions and is longer I think.
2nd Drakensang also has DA:O like starting quests that are unique to different characters.
Its story is set before the 1st part and there are a couple of references to part 1, but you do not need to play the 1st to understand what's going on.

Also both parts are not taking themselves all too seriously which is nice IMHO.

@Szioul: Why shouldn't there be any more Dark Eye Drakensang games?

Szioul

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria Pathfinder: Wrath
The original developer went bankrupt, Bigpoint(?) bought them out. They make browser based games. There was a 3rd Drakensang game in development. Necronomicon or something like it, but it was scrapped after that.

Now they're making Drakensang Online. I think it uses some art assets from the other Drakensang games and the name. Other than that they have nothing in common.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Szioul said:
The original developer went bankrupt, Bigpoint(?) bought them out. They make browser based games. There was a 3rd Drakensang game in development. Necronomicon or something like it, but it was scrapped after that.

Now they're making Drakensang Online. I think it uses some art assets from the other Drakensang games and the name. Other than that they have nothing in common.
There was word that TDE: Demonicon is still in development aiming for a 2012 release, then some time ago there was news that they will change engines:
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/102260- ... ngine.html
Changing engines a year before planned release? make of it what you will.

Szioul

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria Pathfinder: Wrath
Ahh, Demonicon. No wonder I couldn't find the homepage for it when I looked a while back.
Although looks like the homepage redirects to the publisher's homepage. They still have the forums for it, but nothing much in the english section. I don't really read german and can't be bothered to look through it with google-translate, so I don't know if there's anything worthwhile in the german section.

It's a different company making it anyway, so I doubt it'll continue the improvement that Radon Labs did with Drakensang and then The River of Time.

misha said:
It's a party based rpg, so at least for me it's quite interesting... so the question is: is it worth playing? What do you think of it in general?

Drakensang 2 is an easy game to recommend. Loveable disney-esque visuals, interesting character system, lots of dialogs(with a bunch of party skillchecks), villages/hubs that feel populated, most quests were interesting and provided multiple ways of being solved.

Didn't like the combat system but at least on easy fights went by fast enough to the point that I'd spend more time looting the spoils than I did fighting.

Wouldn't recommend drakensang 1 though and won't touch phileasson's secret.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
misha said:
It's a decent game. Everything is bearable except combat, I stopped playing after a few hours because I couldn't stand the horrible battles anymore.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you're absolutely starving for RPGs...Dragon Age is a better game on all aspects except the story and rule system.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Wouldn't get my hopes too high for Demonicon. It is being developed by an offshoot that is mostly the offspring of Silver Style Entertainment. Remember, the Fall - Last Days of Gaia.

misha said:

The Dark Eye is solid but unspectacular. Tries too hard to emulate BioWare and ends up with a shitty epic plot and tons and tons of horribly designed trash combat.

The River of Time is the same at the core but without the shitty plot and trash combat. It's a better game overall, only drawback is less companions. Vastly superior, more focused story.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Ruprekt said:
Szioul said:
Gamersgate? Yes, they do. Just scroll down and look at "Related Products".
I'm not seeing it on the UK page. Guess I'll have to try spoofing it again.

UK? Yeah, it's releases for North America and most of the world. But not the UK. No idea why. Maybe some other local publishers has the UK rights and is just letting them die? It's a mess, as this game's entire English release span has. You can import them but not buy them from digital download. You can easily dupe most digital download services by using a proxy and dummy account and just download it. GamersGate's products are DRM-free so once downloaded you should have no issues.

Would be funny if you could buy the expansion but not the main game.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Are you supposed to play this after the main quest of RoT or does it start during the main quest?

Shannow

Waster of Time
misha said:
As the others said, shit combat (and shitty loot and barrels), solid (sometimes great) graphics, solid story and npcs, generic quests with the odd innovative one, light "fantasy" fantasy mood, D2 is an improvement over D1 but not hugely different, great character system that's sadly not all too well integrated in the game and not coupled with good combat. All in all what I'd like to call a slightly below average RPG. But since the competition is so atrocious, at least D2, is probably the best RPG in the last 5 years or so.

I'm sure Demonicon would have ended up as a shitty Diablo-clone but the graphics were pretty...

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What's so shit about the combat? Didn't seem any more shit than almost any post 2000 RPG. Actually 'shit combat' is the default for most RPG's this decade so that's nothing to complain about. Rather you should instead praise the one or two games that did combat right.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
Stop comparing Drakensang with DA because he beats DA from any point of view. Combat is great, u can exploit combat if u know how its not all about cone of cold like in DA, cool quests its a great CRPG u will be amazed. (ignore some filler combat and its a 10)

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
commie said:
What's so shit about the combat? Didn't seem any more shit than almost any post 2000 RPG. Actually 'shit combat' is the default for most RPG's this decade

A voice of reason in a sea of Ritalin-drenched Xbox kid cacophony. You are the only 2010er I would not send to the gas chamber!

:love:

misha

Educated
Thanks for all answers
:salute:

Excidium said:
I wouldn't recommend it unless you're absolutely starving for RPGs...Dragon Age is a better game on all aspects except the story and rule system.

-Well all I can say is that due to the need of nice [and not boring] story I prefered to play Starcraft2 campaign again than installing i.e. DA:O second time... :M

As for combat... we will see; I've survived camera's movement in NWN2, boring fights in Oblivion, so I will give it a try. Good story and interesting companions = good recommendation :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom