Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Alchemist

Has anyone used Dungeon Alchemist? It's a tabletop campaign map maker with lots of polish. I was thinking about getting this to make campaigns with. It seems well liked by the community.

Bara

Arcane
They recently just released a update to make curved or slanted walls so that helps in avoiding the dungeon feeling like boxed room to boxed room.
Multi-level maps is still on their que to do but thats been talked about for a while now.

Honestly, I don't have much faith in its ability to make actually interesting maps, good for auto generating stocked rooms in a dungeon.
But I felt I had way more success in making maps in dungeon draft by hand and following Melan's advice on dungeon design. Or just outright using Dyson's maps.

If you go with dungeon draft I'd design (or copy) the outline of how you want the dungeon to go first and just let it generate room dressing.
Though you could just skip all that and go with ye old classic black and white (or blue) dungeon maps only.

Or if your strapped for time use Dave's mapper as a starting point or just use it outright in designing the shape of a dungeon.
05hw053w00g40245034304jk026v00gh00gn015b04xw040901lf021k018v02zx006j057203jm0442

It's not super pretty and you'll have to make sense of it or edit things to line up when you make and it's up to you to imagine it up to being something not bland but if you need something to start with and short on time it's not a bad option.

I like it a hell of a lot more than donjon's random dungeon generator none of the shapes it generates particularly excites me or inspires.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I like it a lot for making simple encounter maps. It's also nice that you can go into first-person perspective. In these two regards, nothing out there has this beat, not even Dungeondraft. However I haven't tried it yet with multi-levels.

Edit: a quick search shows it's in the roadmap but not implemented yet.

udm I didn't know about Dungeon Draft. While it has a more basic presentation, it looks really easy to use. It also seems like I'll be able to put a more unique/custom stamp on it. One of my concerns with Dungeon Alchemist is that everything will look generic and the same.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I strongly recommend Dungeondraft! It frequently gets compared to Inkarnate, but you don't need to pay a monthly fee and it is very simple to use. You can generate random maps too, just not as elaborately furnished as Dungeon Alchemist's generator. The only shortcoming I can think of is that it doesn't come with many stock assets versus the competition, so if you want region or encounter maps that are more aeathetically pleasing, you should consider buying/downloading third-party assets (of which there are many).

I plan to use Dungeondraft alongside Dungeon Alchemist. With these two, I can't imagine ever running into a shortage of maps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom