Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon-making tools?

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Are there any good tools for designing dungeons? Or is good old graph paper still the way to go?

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I tried it but found it too limited. I'd like to be able to place furniture, pits, raised and lowered surfaces, etc.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Some people swear by Dunjinni and/or campaign cartographer.
I torrented the d&d tiles that wizards released in sets around the time 4E was out. Imported the PDFs into photoshop and cropped them around the individual tiles. And made sure they were all scaled so one square was (I think) 80x80px. Then I turned them into backdrop libraries in Maptools (rptools.net) and built dungeons with snap to grid set to on.

Other alternatives would be going to http://www.cartographersguild.com/ and looking around. Maps, tutorials for maps and tools for maps are kind of their forte.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
For online: Grid Carthographer is fun, but I rarely use it. I rather search for a ready map on the interwebz and just change a few things. For quick encounters, I just draw on Roll20.
For offline: Graph paper to make the map, then explain what they see and find on the main battlemap. Sometimes I use a water-based marker or just "props" like "this pencil is now the wall here."

If you want to add stuff... well, just like Ulminati said. Dunjinni.

Keldryn

Arcane
I use Campaign Cartographer with the Dungeon Designer add-on. It's incredibly powerful and lets you do virtually anything you can think of. It's also expensive and has a rather steep learning curve.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
If you want to be able to draw what you want, from small dungeons to geographic maps I reccomend Fractal Mapper

For smaller dungeons or even to play both online and live, Maptool can be used to design simple maps, you can import resources in .png formats to be used as actors/PC tokens and objects/furniture. It's actually fairly robust, you just need to fiddle with interface/docs to realize all you can do but once you have, you can do things like this in 5 minutes.

f3QyH34.jpg

Literally, this is part of a map I had to draw real time for an improvised ambush my party had some time ago. This took me exactly 6 minutes (It's really simple) and the screen is just a detail of the whole map, I assure you you can draw a whole lot in one hour once you get the hang of it.

This little gem allows us to explore at an amazing speed, it takes into account LoS, illumination and measurement. It also has Fog of war, it's perfect

Edit: if you're curious I can post some more screens of Maptool in action, it's so :love:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Or if you have slightly less money and more time, there's hirstarts.com

They sell molds and you can cast your own bricks to glue together for DIY modular dungeons.

etomb371.jpg

etomb369.jpg

etomb361.jpg

goth286.jpg
goth283.jpg
goth129.jpg

dawson3.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom