Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DUNGEONS is shit

Lesifoere

Liturgist
So, so shit. It plays identically to Evil Genius, itself a mediocre game, except it's worse. It is no Dungeon Keeper, that's for certain, and even Overlord/Overlord 2 were much better takes on HURR I R EVIL OVAHLARD schtick. I can't over-emphasize enough how bad Dungeons is. The gameplay is clunky, the graphics and engine incredibly unoptimized, and the thing's pretty glitch-ridden.

Avoid, avoid.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not that bad... though it's not good either. Mediocre game, fun for a while. Good I didn't expect DK though. It is indeed more like Evil Genius + Diablo + The Sims than DK.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Trash said:
Are you really surprised? Everything about the game looked like a cheap rip-off. Now it turns out that they couldn't even do that properly.

I had some hope that it'd be a good diversion. Nothing deep, just somewhat fun. :( Germans cannot into making games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The game is not bad. If you want a Dungeon Keeper 3 or Overlord, than you will be dissapointed. They only ripped off the graphics of DK, the gameplay is a little different. It is more like Evil Genius with a bit of hack 'n slash element. There are some bugs, but nothing game braking. Fun game overall. And seeing that this genre is dead, I'm more than happy with a fun, although flawed game.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Overlord is still mediocre and has frustrating controls. Dungeons is a pile of horseshit. The game reminds me of a total conversion mod for sims.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
1451 said:
The game reminds me of a total conversion mod for sims.

Seconded. The conversion is so total, that it is a different type of game.

Dele

Liturgist
haw lets copy the art and style from dungeon keeper but not the actually important stuffs what made dk so good like gameplay duhruhdurhduhuhrudrhud

shit game

Lesifoere

Liturgist
1451 said:
Overlord is still mediocre and has frustrating controls. Dungeons is a pile of horseshit. The game reminds me of a total conversion mod for sims.

Basically. Only the Sims is more polished and less bugshit awful.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Lesifoere said:
1451 said:

Tough luck. My version only had 1 bug. :smug:

Anyway, what do people want from this game anyway?

"HARRR, THIS GAME IS SHIT BECAUSE IT RIPS OFF DK!!!"

"But the gameplay is different from Dungeon Keeper."

"HARRRR, THAN THE GAME IS SHIT BECAUSE IT DOESN'T RIP OF DK ENOUGH!"

Damn people are such a fag sometimes.

Nostradumbass

Scholar
butthurt? it plays nothing like evil genius. EG is much better. dungeons isnt bad. suppose you were one of those who raged after they found out its not a DK type game, even though it never claimed to be one despite looking very similar.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Humanity has risen! said:
I'm going to delete the iso.

Do that.

FYI I'm not a huge DK fanatic, even. But the game's just not very good and the UI is finicky as hell.

Shannow

Waster of Time
J_C said:
Lesifoere said:
1451 said:

Tough luck. My version only had 1 bug. :smug:

Anyway, what do people want from this game anyway?

"HARRR, THIS GAME IS SHIT BECAUSE IT PLAYS LIKE A MEDIOCRE RIP-OFF OFF OF DK!!!"

"But the gameplay isn't even as good as Evil Genius'."

"HARRRR, THAN THE GAME IS SHIT BECAUSE IT DOESN'T EVEN PLAY LIKE A GOOD SIMS TOTAL CONVERSION!"

Damn people are such a fag sometimes.
I feel your pain. Sometimes it's like every opinion uttered on the codex flows together and it's as if a single, schizophrenic person were uttering hugely varying opinions. (Instead of a few thousand different posters rarely agreeing on anything.)

Padre

Liturgist
Shannow said:
I feel your pain. Sometimes it's like every opinion uttered on the codex flows together and it's as if a single, schizophrenic person were uttering hugely varying opinions. (Instead of a few thousand different posters rarely agreeing on anything.)

You see, people would be glad if it was a simple DK rip off with minor improvements, some new monsters etc.

People would be glad if it was known from the start the game would have nothing in common with DK except for art style. And if it was any good but I'm asking for too much here.

butthurt? it plays nothing like evil genius. EG is much better. dungeons isnt bad. suppose you were one of those who raged after they found out its not a DK type game, even though it never claimed to be one despite looking very similar.

Your nick is very appropriate you know ? They surely didn't want to be recognized as DK rip off, sure. That's why the dungeon heart is there, the imps and one hundred other things that made DK what it was.

I raged pretty hard because the moment I was youtube previews I was certain it was DK 3 so to speak. Huge ass minotaur as Horny ? Check. Fighting as evil lord against some pesky heroes ? Check. Having your dungeon with various rooms etc ? HAHA WE GOT YOU BITCH. Those are not rooms, those are Sims TM gimmicks.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Padre said:
Huge ass minotaur as Horny ?
Why did you think that a minotaur in the trailer was Horny? I don't see the connection.
Padre said:
Fighting as evil lord against some pesky heroes ? Check.
Except that it is totally different than in DK, since practically you are helping the heroes to find treasure and loot. And you only kill them when their needs are satisfied.

Padre said:
You see, people would be glad if it was a simple DK rip off with minor improvements, some new monsters etc.
On Codex? I doubt it.

Padre said:
People would be glad if it was known from the start the game would have nothing in common with DK except for art style.
The developers said it themselves, that the game doesn't want to be a DK3. And after reading the previews it was obvious for me, that while there are some common elements, this game will not be a new Dungeon Keeper.

Padre

Liturgist
Why did you think that a minotaur in the trailer was Horny? I don't see the connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhOBVg2awB0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N5ODEGR1KQ

You are telling me you don't see the obvious similarity ?

Except that it is totally different than in DK, since practically you are helping the heroes to find treasure and loot. And you only kill them when their needs are satisfied.

Except you realize that after you play the fucking game. First two missions are not showing the whole picture, too.

The developers said it themselves, that the game doesn't want to be a DK3. And after reading the previews it was obvious for me, that while there are some common elements, this game will not be a new Dungeon Keeper.

If they didn't want to be mistaken for a DK clone why all those similarities, even rip offs? Why did they have to go with a dungeon heart. Why with tunnel digging instead of wall building and shit?

All in all this game is so bad it doesn't deserve to lick DK's boots.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Padre said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhOBVg2awB0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N5ODEGR1KQ

You are telling me you don't see the obvious similarity ?
Well I guess they are similar, they both have horns. But the minotaurs are standard fantasy creatures, I didn't think that it meant to be Horny. If I'm not mistaken they are not even in the game. Just in the trailer.

Padre said:
If they didn't want to be mistaken for a DK clone why all those similarities, even rip offs? Why did they have to go with a dungeon heart. Why with tunnel digging instead of wall building and shit?
Ok, the dungeon heart is a rip-off, I give you that. But I don't think that tunnel digging is licenced to DK, and only that game can use it.

Padre said:
All in all this game is so bad it doesn't deserve to lick DK's boots.
Then don't play it. I don't care.

Nostradumbass

Scholar
Padre said:
Your nick is very appropriate you know ? They surely didn't want to be recognized as DK rip off, sure. That's why the dungeon heart is there, the imps and one hundred other things that made DK what it was.

shouldve just said, "herp derp herp! i dont know what a hommage is."

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
More like pandering/hyping elements to draw a bigger audience. They knew what they were doing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom