Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress (roguelike RPG/Strategy)

Balor

Arcane
Doh. But he posted that in the wrong forum! Heh.
Oh well. But I see it's good nonetheless.

Jason

chasing a bee
Part 2 of the Dwarf Fortress interview is up at Dubious Quality if anyone is still interested.
As far as DF goes, I think it's a stretch to call it a roguelike. Rogue was a very simple game, so it leads to a very broad category, but the city building, caravans, sieges and most everything else from DF would render the term roguelike meaningless if the umbrella were made that large. Just being text, fantasy and randomly generated isn't enough -- I remember playing an old text game kind of like Master of Magic that nobody would call roguelike even though it has these elements. There's something spatial about @ signs moving around that evokes "roguelike" perhaps -- it's not the properties I often hear mentioned that really count. It's probably fair to call the adventure mode roguelike if you want to convey what it's like right now. As armies and some other aspects of the game come in which start to pull adventure mode toward dwarf mode, I'm not sure the label will work as well, though there will still be some aspect of @-moving permdeath ASCII hack-and-slash in random dungeons that fits the bill.
2D tile support and mouse support may be in the cards, but not anytime soon.
Eventually I'd like to allow 2D tiles to be used optionally for all of the game objects and remove the requirement that the viewport be 80x25. This gives rise to text that isn't the same width as the tiles, which allows more text to be displayed. There are some associated hassles, so I haven't been in a rush. The same goes for mouse support. Once you've got a 2D engine running independent of the 80x25 tiled viewport, there are a lot of interface options that open up, but that's something I'm not thinking about right now, since all of the interface is still subject to change in general.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I wish you fucknuts'd told me it was a terrain level generator 20 minutes before I fired it up and waited for it to generate terrain.

A warning there would be nice. "Hey, this is gonna take 20 minutes. 'K?"

After that, I couldn't be arsed what the game was. 20 minutes to generate an ASCII forest?

I'm not a graphics whore but ASCII and keyboard only commands don't do it for me. I hate having to check a manual just to understand what that ASCII character I'm staring at is supposed to be.

Fez

Erudite
Once it has generated a world, you can use it for many games afterwards. You could have just downloaded one of the ready made worlds though.

wendigo

Novice
I can follow the complaints about graphics to a degree (though there is at least one decent user made tileset available already) but the (non) issue of mouse support baffles me. You do not *want* to use a mouse for this game. It is much, much faster to spend 15 minutes getting used to the keyboard control. After the fortress grows enough, you'll be spending more and more time on management screens instead of selecting every workshop and stockpile manually. After you've looked around with the "k" key awhile, you'll stop seeing the brown "X" on the ground and see a bin there instead-- think of it like words on a page in a novel. A novel full of HAMMERS and BEER.

As for world generation... yeah, you can download pre-gen worlds if waiting 20 minutes isn't your thing. A thousand years of virtual history takes awhile to generate, is all. Too bad most of it is hidden under the hood in this stage of development.

The key thing here is not to let the steep learning curve scare you off! It's worth it, seriously. Deep games can require a couple hours self-training, nothing new there. Losing is *fun* in this game, so your time spent learning the ropes will still be entertaining. See the cute little dwarves work and drink! See the little dwarves starve and tantrum and slap one another! See them get smashed by elephants and die of exposure while you cackle maniacally...

Nedrah

Erudite
It has been discussed before.
I love the premise of the game, but can't bring myself to cope with busy ASCII.
Roguelikes are a different beast for the most part.

Section8

Cipher
I've had this one sitting around, but usually my days involve destroyingmy brain for many hours before I'm able to play games, therefore Dwarf Fortress is beyond my patience threshold. Will get drunk and learn to play it one day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom