Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dying Light 2 Stay Human - zombie survival with choice & consequence

tindrli

Arcane
facepalm-picard.gif

Zlaja

Arcane
What are people even doing in this game long term that would warrant the need for MTX skins?

I've noticed that some hardcore fans of this game (and the first game) have put like a 1000 hours into these games and they just keep playing them. They treat them like a live service MMO thing, and just keep grinding those legendary levels ad infinitum. It's quite mind-boggling. I did play and enjoy the first game, but sticking around after finishing all the unique quests is foreign to me. Maybe do a NG+ run, a few years down the line, but that's it.

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
I have some exciting news, I have decided to play DL2 as my next game. I have just completed an absolutely fantastic first time play through of Fallout1&2 so I need to play something different and not an RPG

I loved DL1 and spent lots of time just exploring at night and doing arbitrary things after completing the main quest. Anyway are there any recommended mods I should use for DL2?

Ryzer

Arcane
I'm a bit late to the party, but not only is this game terrible but it is also a downgrade over Dying Light 1.

No wonder there are more players in DL1 than DL2, why did they removed the dynamic system of DL1? no idea, they probably aimed at teenagers with this game? I don't know.

Latelistener

Arcane
Played it during the free weekend and I thought that the first two hours were mostly great. I read somewhere that the prologue is Avellone's work at least partially.

Then I got to the open world and the first side mission I got was a race challenge.

Then I proceeded to check an encounter where the game apparently expects me to just kill everyone with no repercussions (remember they promised some choices and consequences?).

Then I checked a building with some mines in it and realized that they are actually marked on your HUD and even beeping loudly. :lol:

I figured they really wanted to sell you the game in these first 2 hours and put some real effort into it. The rest of the game is Ubisoft-style open world that takes itself too seriously.

Never thought Dead Island 2 would be a better game, despite having no open world and no parkour.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Dying Light 1 was one of the better games I've played in the last several years. I've yet to pull the trigger on the second one because every time I get interested, I then read 'current state' reviews. Then I sour on it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Dying Light 1 was one of the better games I've played in the last several years. I've yet to pull the trigger on the second one because every time I get interested, I then read 'current state' reviews. Then I sour on it.
I would only buy it for 5 potatoes but then I might refund it ... the same way it happened with Metro Exodus.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
It's a mediocre sequel with that misses the mark on just about everything it tries to do.
The dynamic parkour music is really the only improvement over the first:

Latelistener

Arcane
I mean, purely gameplay-wise it's not bad. Parkour and melee combat are okay. Visuals and sound are nice. Theoretically you could have fun in it, if you forget about story, characters and pointless open-world activities.

However, impact and damage model are much better in Dead Island 2. What separates them is that DI2 combat relies a lot on the environment and practically forces you to use it. It's just a lot more fun to mess around with it and find creative ways to deal with the infected.

I also didn't like human combat in Dying Light 2. They block your attacks and you're suppose to block their attacks at the right time to stun them... and then you must sort of jump over them while they're stunned and kick someone else. I mean, what the actual fuck? In the tutorial the say that this is the basic for the "human" combat. :lol:

Another thing I noticed is called "suspension of disbelief". I have no issues with Dead Island, Dying Light, WWZ, Left 4 Dead or practically any other setting, but I just can't believe in this one. Not sure why, but it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Ripsipaps

Literate
Another thing I noticed is called "suspension of disbelief". I have no issues with Dead Island, Dying Light, WWZ, Left 4 Dead or practically any other setting, but I just can't believe in this one. Not sure why, but it sticks out like a sore thumb.

The first game had a believable setting. The survivors were hauled up in a skyscraper that wasn't accessible to zombies, they occasionally ventured out to collect airdropped supplies. Things were bleak, they had to run and use parkour to survive.
In this one the city is full of people, they all live in completely unsecured rooftop shacks that virals would easily be able to climb into. Volatiles also spawn right next to them now.
None of the NPCs ever talk about zombies, it's all about their factional drama. What the fuck do I care that someone killed one dude from the peacekeepers? There are dozens of people dying every day!
They are growing some pumpkins but not nearly enough to sustain a large population. And trees are somehow growing off the roofs. Do the devs not know how trees work?
You are looking for your sister but this main plot doesn't advance an inch until the last 20 minutes of the game.
Atrocious writing.

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah the writing in this was barely an improvement on the first game, very disappointing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom