Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Early Christmas Shopping

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I'm trying to find a Christmas gift for my brother, since there is a chance I'll see him in a couple of weeks, but won't see him for another year. Anyways, he is interested in strategy games, preferably turnbased with emphasis on longer (i.e. couple of days) gameplay. It would also be swell if this took place in space. I don't keep up with the Strategy genre that much, so I can't think of anything. I was hoping somebody here had a suggestion, even if it only matches a few of the criterea. He already has Civilization 3, Europa Universalis, and Imperialsim II... space games all!

I tried just going to a site and looking and strategy titles, but nothing jumped out at me.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Would he be interested in classics?
I would recommend games like Deadlock.

If he is okay with RT, then I would suggest StarCraft (buy "Battlechest" edition that has both the original and the expansion games) and Total Annihilation (with or w/o addons)

Freethis

Novice
I'm playing Hearts of Iron 2 lately, it doesn't take place in space, but it's made by the same people that made Europa Universalis and came out not too long ago. It's pretty good, unless you're really attached to sleep.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Greatatlantic said:
I'm trying to find a Christmas gift for my brother, since there is a chance I'll see him in a couple of weeks, but won't see him for another year. Anyways, he is interested in strategy games, preferably turnbased with emphasis on longer (i.e. couple of days) gameplay.

You could pre-order him Shattered Union.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Space Empires 4 Gold is more then likely what you'll wanna get him. Turn-based space 4X that is highly moddable and has alot of neat features.

One thing I enjoy about it alot is that there are no ships in the game really, instead you research all these different parts and build them yourself. It saves the part combos to a profile which you select for build orders.

Galactic Civilizations is pretty good, but I enjoyed Space Empires IV Gold more. If you hold out a bit longer Galactic Civilizations 2 is coming out which sounds very very good.

And for great strategy, Hearts of Iron 2. Even if its (controllable pace) Real-Time and WW2, it has bucketloads of great strategy.

Fez

Erudite
I'd go with Hearts of Iron 2 as well, or maybe one of Paradox's other titles like Crusader Kings or Victoria if you don't want a WW2-themed game.

Astromarine

Erudite
I'll go with Hearts of Iron 2 as well, or if he also likes Wargames Airborne Assault: Highway to the Reich is REALLY surprising in it's goodness.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
You said he has Europa Universalis, but does he have the sequel?

If not, get him that. It's superlative and supieror to the sequel in every way, IMHO.

Fez

Erudite
You might want to consider the Paradox Strategy Six-pack. It has Hearts of Iron 1, Victoria - An Empire under the Sun, Europa Universalis II, Europa Universalis II - Asia Chapters, Two Thrones and Crown of the North. You can get it from Amazon for $19.99.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Hmm... Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm checking them out now. SEIV looks pretty good, but its currently out of print. And that 6-pack looks promising. I'm downloading the demo for galatic civilizations now.

LlamaGod

Cipher
SEIV looks pretty good, but its currently out of print.

Always alternatve methods of getting it. Include it with another gift and all that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom