Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elex 2 VS Elden Ring

Which one will likely be better?

• Elex 2

Votes: 105 49.8%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 106 50.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If exploration was mainly about loot and progression, we'd be hailing Diablo clones as having great exploration..
There are two massive problems with this sentence.

1) I never said "mainly", I said they are intrinsically tied. Incidentally it's not like ELEX does a lot better in other areas, either. It's not exactly the most interesting topography in gaming, even aside its distribution of content.
2) Diablo is AS FAR as I can imagine from what "good itemization" would look like, especially in a Gothic-like. In fact I would fucking HATE a Gothic game with Diablo-like loot.

JDR13

Arcane
If exploration was mainly about loot and progression, we'd be hailing Diablo clones as having great exploration..
There are two massive problems with this sentence.

1) I never said "mainly", I said they are intrinsically tied. Incidentally it's not like ELEX does a lot better in other areas, either. It's not exactly the most interesting topography in gaming, even aside its distribution of content.

I'm starting to wonder if you've actually played it or, if you did, for how long.

2) Diablo is AS FAR as I can imagine from what "good itemization" would look like, especially in a Gothic-like. In fact I would fucking HATE a Gothic game with Diablo-like loot.

Well we agree on that at least.

I'm starting to wonder if you've actually played it or, if you did, for how long.
Well, you can stop wondering:

u6Nu9oa.jpg

JDR13

Arcane
Then please list all these games that have vastly better exploration since you seem to think Elex lacks in that area.

ElectricOtter

can someone find where this adam jensen avvy using loser lives and punch him as HARD as u can in his liver? pls? thx! xoxoxo

If you're after local co-op on PC with gameplay vaguely reminiscent of Dark Souls or Gothic (over-the-shoulder slow-ish aRPG) you can't really do better than Outward at the moment, but you'll probably be interested in The Cursed Crusade and The First Templar. Additionally, War in the North and Hunted: The Demon's Forge are playable with Xenia, split-screen included.

You say one night a week with a friend, but if you were more serious than that I'd have suggested biting the bullet and getting a decent laptop for 2P. Local coop on PC isn't as dead a market as some believe but it's still pretty dire, especially if you're not into cartoon indie bullshit. At some point you just run out.
Thanks, took a quick look will check them out more. But I get what you're saying that Outward is the best currently. I have some hope for newer titles like Elements or The Last Oricru. If all is shit we might just do a snes emulator crono trigger or something, want to keep the couch gaming format.

Lol, people claiming that Outward or Elden Ring are better than ELEX or ELEX 2 are just mental hospital level thinkers. Elden Ring might have better combat (debatable also, since combat is much improved in ELEX 2 and Elden Ring is once again mostly about rolling), but it's all you do, literally run around and fight stuff over and over ad nauseum. While ELEX is an actual full fledged RPG.

And Kingdom Come Deliverance comparisons? Wtf... KCD is a great game in its own right but it's completely different from ELEX. There is no exploration and world building like in PB games. Who cares if their RPG mechanics have always been fairly simplistic, their games are aRPGs and are more about player skill and advancement rather than fancy builds.

This thread is the perfect example of why a lot of shitposters here like Rusty miss the forest for the trees. "Muh RPG Mechanics, i wanna game with complex RPG mechanics, don't care about anything else... Waaahh!" That's how you end up with shit like Shitmaker and D:OS being praised here as the 2nd coming.

Mortmal

Arcane
Nope it deserves its 10/10 for a true gamer
Not all of us can be TRVE GAMERS like uhh *checks reviews*
IGN and GameSpot.
I see people playing this non stop since release, something that never happen anymore, it's even rare to see friends on steam list playing anything at all. If IGN say the sun is shining, i am not going to disagree with them by principle.

Black Angel

Arcane
Me after reading this whole thread:
876.jpg

So many maidenless behavior ITT, smh

On a more serious note, they might seem like similar games on the surface (3rd person action-RPG, and with Elden Ring being Fromsoft's first actual open-world game, comparison is inevitable), but the designs philosophies and sensibilities of the devs behind them are obviously different, so it's kind of a waste of time trying to dickwave which game would be better or be The Best™. Still, I'd say Fromsoft came out as the black sheep in this discussion. Anyone who has played their games and recognize them for what they truly are would know that Fromsoft is probably the farthest thing from any (stereo)typical Japs devs you could ever find on earth. And it seems many Codexers are either blind, ignorant, or outright refuse to see this at all, citing muh animu at every chance they get. What a shamefur dispray. I'm just going to repeat what Hobo Elf said in the other thread:
Calling anything a JRPG or WRPG in the first place is dumb and doesn't really give you an accurate idea of what you can expect from the game's mechanics. Let's just stick with the established genre names that actually make sense, like ARPG, Sim / Tactical RPG, dungeon crawler, etc..
Might seem unrelated, but it's the most appropriate response to those who cried muh animu

Still, like someone already said, PB doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed for releasing ELEX!! only a mere week after one of the biggest release in recent times. I wonder if there's an actual deadline that they can't pass no matter what here?
Having said all that, I'll still be getting both. So far only my brother bought it, but I liked what I saw.

*ELEX!!
God I despise FromSoft fanboys
Because they are annoying as fuck, with their "soulsborne games are god's gift to mankind, made for the Intelligent People(tm) who do not need to be spoonfed their narrative via cuscenes and dialogue" while actually learning anything about the those game's stories from youtube videos.
I actually agree with you here, but what you said here didn't actually say anything about Fromsoft's games themselves. I'm not saying you're personally correlating the audience with the actual products, but many people (and some Codexers, it seems) actually do so. Look at the reception to Undertale, and I actually encountered a guy at NMA forum who's seething whenever IE games gets mentioned, simply because of what he perceives as an association to those games with RPG Codex :roll:
Like has been mentioned, the left pic happened because of so many limitations, while the right is a remake made with more powerful techs and shit.

How about we compare the more modern Fromsoft's creation with DeS remake, instead? I'm not gonna put Elden Ring personally because I haven't actually played, so here's Bloodborne bosses instead:
Cleric_Beast_Profile_Extra.jpg

Ebrietas%20Charge%20Crop%201.png

Amelia_Action.jpg

ludwig.jpg

Elden ring if made by ubisoft:
kavp1h82csl81.png
Related, somehow

Apparently, there was a chain of replies on Twitter that started, either from the same reply or parallel to the tweet in the video, involving also Ubisoft developers, which may or may not resulted in the pic you posted above. I'm too lazy to look up the actual tweets, but my face was palmed when I first heard of it :lol:

KateMicucci

Arcane
I'm guessing you've never even seen a Souls game. Closest they get to anime is having a couple of oversized swords. Aside from that they do the Western European fantasy aesthetic much better than most Western devs.
all soulsborne games make my weebalarm fire off immediately, if you can't see it then it's because you watch too much anime
the art style itself may generally feel western, but the aesthetic screams eastern. Western artists tend to design things in a much more naturalistic way(even things that are decidedly not natural,) especially anything regarding architecture which will tend to be as grounded as you can get.

Easiest way to see this is to look at the recent Demon's Souls remake by a western developer and why the art caused so much butthurt amongst the weeb crowd, because they could innately tell what is "souls" and what isn't.
05-art-eater-demon-s-souls-vanguard-demon-original-vs-remake.jpg

the left created something fantastical without much thought to it actually existing, the right has a much heavier focus on creating a believable creature and all that implies
I am not a weeb at all and I wouldn't have considered the left monster "eastern" if you hadn't pointed it out. The only thing that looks anime are the goofy teeth. Right monster isn't more "grounded". Its horns are clipping into its shoulder, it has chains and manacles all over it for no reason. It only looks "western" because its aping western tired IPs Doom and Warhammer for inspiration.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
ELEX 1 had terrible exploration for a Gothic game, much inferior to Gothic 1, 2, NotR and CoM. Now that still means it was pretty good in the grand scheme of things but don't kid yourself that it was on par. You find much less useful stuff and there's much less incentive to look around for stuff.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Lol, people claiming that Outward or Elden Ring are better than ELEX or ELEX 2 are just mental hospital level thinkers. Elden Ring might have better combat (debatable also, since combat is much improved in ELEX 2 and Elden Ring is once again mostly about rolling), but it's all you do, literally run around and fight stuff over and over ad nauseum. While ELEX is an actual full fledged RPG.

And Kingdom Come Deliverance comparisons? Wtf... KCD is a great game in its own right but it's completely different from ELEX. There is no exploration and world building like in PB games. Who cares if their RPG mechanics have always been fairly simplistic, their games are aRPGs and are more about player skill and advancement rather than fancy builds.

This thread is the perfect example of why a lot of shitposters here like Rusty miss the forest for the trees. "Muh RPG Mechanics, i wanna game with complex RPG mechanics, don't care about anything else... Waaahh!" That's how you end up with shit like Shitmaker and D:OS being praised here as the 2nd coming.

I'd rather have PF and D:OS any day of the week over the new "Action RPG" #98298771 that gets released on a nearly daily basis it seems.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Why are we even talking about Elden Ring here? There's a JRPG weaboo section that's more appropriate for this game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
ELEX 1 had terrible exploration for a Gothic game, much inferior to Gothic 1, 2, NotR and CoM. Now that still means it was pretty good in the grand scheme of things but don't kid yourself that it was on par. You find much less useful stuff and there's much less incentive to look around for stuff.
You really think exploration was on par with Gothic 1 and 2? There's almost nothing useful to find in ELEX. The reward for exploration is mostly useless consumable stuff, rather than unique or good weapons or permanent herbs or potions. I never felt like I was rewarded for exploring thoroughly in ELEX the way I was in other PB games.

Why do you disagree? What made the exploration on par, for you?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom