Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emil on level scaling

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah yeah, blah-blah, NMA is offering a partial transcript of the Xbox World 360 article, read it, realise once again how terrible Fallout 3 is shaping up to become, but I just had to drop by to drop off this tidbit we left out of the newspost (my highlight):

"The levelling in Oblivion has become infamous," says Emil, with his designer hat on. "The leveling worked really well in certain places where it balances the game out to the player's experience level, but I think we made some really egregious mistakes - the bandits which level up and get Daedric armour; the siege of KVatch gets really hard as you get stronger. These things should have been really obvious."

No friggin' goddamn shit. Yet somehow almost all reviewers and all Bethesda staff were oblivious to the problems up to the previews of Fallout 3.

Bethesda Lies: the Blatancy, part II

PS: also, remember this one since I'm betting it won't match up with the gaming experience:
We emerge a mile or tow from Megaton in the middle of a bandit camp based around Friendship Heights' Metro station. We're immediately thrown into combat against a small army, with every enemy clearly thinking and plotting before rushing into combat against the man firing the death rays. "We have a complete nav-mesh which covers the whole world, and all the edges are marked hish how high the cover is," eplxains Todd. "AI can take cover behind anything. They know how high this desk is and whether they can crouch behind it for cover."

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Reminds me of the Radiant AI video they showed before Oblivion's release, with the woman in her house doing so many cool things. Strange that I never actually saw anything close to that in the game. Fallout 3 will be just the same.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Emilek Debilek said:
the siege of KVatch gets really hard as you get stronger."

Fun, I remember I completely screwed the whole main quest until I didn't have anything else to do and by that time my character was a super hero and I pretty much steamrolled through the "really hard siege of Kvatch".

Raapys

Arcane
Huh, are they actually considering implementing level scaling in FO3 too??

Earth Nuggets

Novice
Raapys said:
Fun, I remember I completely screwed the whole main quest until I didn't have anything else to do and by that time my character was a super hero and I pretty much steamrolled through the "really hard siege of Kvatch".

I think it mostly had to due with the fact that the leveling system is fucking abysmal. Creatures in the world apparently get substantial attribute increases as they level with you. On the other hand, the player has to spend time grinding up two minor skills connected to two different attributes at least ten times before then increasing a major skill connected to yet another attribute at least ten times to level up and get the best stat bonuses possible. So, if you don't understand the system, you could easily screw yourself. I also believe the guards meant to aid you in the battle either remain at a constant level or always wear the same shit armor... and hey, Bethesda could have patched the game to make this quest easier; a lot of people were whining about it.

Crichton

Prophet

I don't remember what level my character was when he got there. He was a stealthy, fist-fighting cat-man, so maybe he was a lousy character or something. But neither he, nor the guards could scratch these big crocodile-men that were wrecking the place. The one guard was immortal, but the crocs killed him like 143 times, completely destroyed his armor, his shield and, I think, his sword and they tore my character into bits whenever they spotted him (which thankfully wasn't often).

Raapys

Arcane
Well, there was a difficulty slider. Take it all the way to the left and stuff died in 1 hit, take it all the way to the right and you could hack for hours on a single creature.

Athiska

Novice
Oh, yes. Stealth-based characters were easy meatbags, considering that they could never win. The sneak attack which saved many from many reloads never did much past level 20. The best non-mod alternative was to don heavy armor and beat mudcrabs with claymores until suitably non-killable... or so I was told.

Raapys said:
Well, there was a difficulty slider. Take it all the way to the left and stuff died in 1 hit, take it all the way to the right and you could hack for hours on a single creature.
That gives the player control over his killability, and not the developers. And puts him at fault for dieing when that handy slider makes everything, ah... "die in one hit".

Bugger... every thread becomes an Oblivion rant, doesn't it?

Anyhow, I've failed to understand why levels should affect anything in the world. At least in that review Fallout 3 was called "Oblivion 2," in a rare show of honesty. I find the conclusion a traditional saccharine assertion.
Accept no lies, Fallout 3 is too grand a project for us or any other games magazine to have fully understood in just a few hours' play.
I am sure all will be amazed.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
I think BN has reached breaking point. He tried hard though, oh yes, always looking for the positive, the slight comment that might hint at something to hope for. This newspost however killed everything. Fallout 3 will be a horrible clown.

Brother None said:
"We have a complete nav-mesh which covers the whole world, and all the edges are marked hish how high the cover is," eplxains Todd. "AI can take cover behind anything. They know how high this desk is and whether they can crouch behind it for cover."

Hoho, the bullshit train is in full swing. I wonder how Fallout 3's AI will compare to STALKER: Clear Sky's...

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Kingston said:
I think BN has reached breaking point

I think I snapped when Bethesda announced they purchased the full rights and ownership of Fallout.

I've just been running on fumes since.

Raapys

Arcane
It wasn't *so* bad back when they announced it, I think. Back then we still hadn't seen the abomination that was Oblivion.

Midwinter

Novice
Pete on the fact that the compass will point the way to unknown locations: "It's our way of saying 'there's fun over here'."
Argh, why do they insist on copying everything that Fallout-fans hated about Oblivion? They could at least have looked at the way STALKER handled locations on the map. Is it already known whether or not the compass can be disabled?

Thanks for posting the link, Brother None. Now I'm 100% sure I'm saving the money for STALKER: Clear Sky. I was a careful optimist once too, but there are so many idiotic quotes in this preview...

We've had a focus test to see how well our tutorials were working, and in the initial run-through we forgot to tutorial VATS. People were playing without even knowing it existed and they just played it as a first-person shooter. That's reassuring.
Very.

We wanted them to be able to go into a room and go boom, boom, boom, boom and see views of their character blowing guys away from crazy angles.
That describes Bethesda's vision quite well. Maybe they should make it the subtitle - Fallout 3: Boom Boom Boom.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Midwinter said:
We've had a focus test to see how well our tutorials were working, and in the initial run-through we forgot to tutorial VATS. People were playing without even knowing it existed and they just played it as a first-person shooter. That's reassuring.
Very.

We wanted them to be able to go into a room and go boom, boom, boom, boom and see views of their character blowing guys away from crazy angles.

Oh for fucks sake.................
picardwtf.jpg

facepalm1.jpeg

78605-picard.jpg

picardflipoj5.jpg

gc051360

Scholar

Remember. These are the words of a genius.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Angler said:
I didn't think modding was in.
There supposedly releasing the mod tools after the game has been released, which means NEVAH in my eyes.

We're stuck with this piece of shit for life it seems. :lol: :roll: :? :( :cry:

Midwinter

Novice
Comrade Hamster said:
Midwinter said:
Is it already known whether or not the compass can be disabled?

If not, there's a chance it could be modded. Here's to hoping that the modding community will save some of the gameplay.
Was this possible to mod in Oblivion? If not, I don't think there's a big chance it's possible in this game, if the mod tools are released. Even then, someone just reminded me that no-one in Oblivion ever gave you directions. You were just supposed to follow the arrow. But of course someone could mod the dialogue and journal to include directions. Won't be a quick modification, though.

Mareus

Magister
Hey, the arrow is Bethseda's way of saying: "This is where the fun is!"

It's next gen innovation. You guys are just retarded.

Texas Red

Whiner
I don't know about you guys, but I see a lot of potential in a fan project that uses these tools. If not for the FPSness, we could get a true FO sequel.

Thor Kaufman

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Comrade Hamster said:
Midwinter said:
Is it already known whether or not the compass can be disabled?

If not, there's a chance it could be modded. Here's to hoping that the modding community will save some of the gameplay.
Why bother, it's not like the quests will be worth it. Besides, you might run where the fun is

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom