Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic FPS

Herbert West

Arbiter
Kingston said:
Painkiller: Overdose had some pretty epic levels (haven't played plain old Painkiller
You liked Overdose?? Then you'll fall in love with the original. You can get it along with the official expansion pack on Steam for 10$, which is a great bargain.

My personal vote goes for DOOM being the most epic of all shoters, ever.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Herbert West said:

I second that. To this day, nothing matches Ultimate DOOM. Nothing.

And to the AvP2 lovers, why do you prefer it to the first one? The original was fantastic with the atmosphere. I might take a look at the second one if I get some time.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
phanboy_iv said:
Herbert West said:

I second that. To this day, nothing matches Ultimate DOOM. Nothing.

And to the AvP2 lovers, why do you prefer it to the first one? The original was fantastic with the atmosphere. I might take a look at the second one if I get some time.

i liked AvP 1 more than the second, but the second is still a fantastic game that you should check out if you havent already. the addon was kinda lacklustre though...

as for my favourite FPS:

duke nukem 3d (spent a lot of time making maps for that )
shadow warrior ( " " )
operation flashpoint
aliens vs predator 1&2
unreal 1
half life 1
quake 1&2
doom
system shock 1&2*
deus ex*

*if you consider those FPS

i just dont see the point in most modern FPS. still basically old same gameplay with mostly worse level design , often worse physics (CoD being a prime example...), worse AI (90% of modern shooters have worse AI then 10y old Half Life 1 - quite sad ) .... and scripted as hell. as much as HL1 was fun back in the days i think its partly to blame for the 08/15 drivel we get nowadays which is all "scripts, scripts, scripts"....

only "modern" FPS i enjoyed in the recent years been : Fear (mostly for the good AI - level design etc was pretty much crap ) and Farcry/Crysis (though both are basically half-good / half-shit games ), painkiller also was rather entertaining.

Hl2 + episodes, CoD games, bioshock, stalker .... none of them i could even bother finishing because i got bored halfway through . (bioshock & stalker at least had really nice art direction ....) and thats saying alot since i actually managed to finish doom3 (then again maybe i just didnt have anything else to play... :lol: )

and the only games i m (somewhat) looking forward to in the genre are Borderlands and the Aliens FPS by gearbox because they at least "seem" to try something different - hope they turn out well, never played a gearbox game (mostly ww2 shit, aye? )
maybe ArmA 2 as well, but i didnt really like ArmA 1 despite loving OFP.
(and i m pretty sure the "official" OFP2 will be shit )

mind you i m more a fan of sci-fi FPS though, anything thats WW2 or modern warfare and isnt OFP doesnt interest me at all (heard plenty of good things about red orchestra but just cant arse myself to play it)

if anyone has some recommendations for good sci-fi FPS that i maybe have missed and arent CoD/Half Life ripoffs gameplay-wise please share them.

Herbert West

Arbiter
Kingston said:
Fear AI was mostly scripted, btw. Its really not as good as it appears to be.
For AI, more often than not, appearance is what counts, not the plumbing beneath. If it looks good and works good in the game, it's good.

vrok

Liturgist
Having played through FEAR 7 times I'd have to say that you would be full of shit if you were to try and argue that that is the case in FEAR.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
"Fear AI was mostly scripted, btw. Its really not as good as it appears to be."

People should at least get clue wtf they are talking about... At least on the Codex... well, Decline - Full Speed Ahead!

Hollowized

Novice
D30004s.gif

Hollowized

Novice
DraQ said:
Catacomb Abyss?
Yup, the pic kinda gives that away :)

Gotta love how that bar down in the middle was always telling you what you were doing, "advancing", "turning"...

xuerebx

Erudite
I don't play much FPS games, so my choice is very limited:

-Half Life 2
-Doom 3

Were the 2 FPS games which I enjoyed and found to be quite fun. I'd try out other games but I don't really have much time.

xuerebx

Erudite
Yeah, I enjoyed those 2 a lot so I've got no regrets at all. I would ask for your suggestions but I don't have any time at all to play much these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom