Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Essential mods for Oblivion

Jericho

Novice
I'm planning on starting up Oblivion once more in the near future, because I never really got to finishing it. I remember having installed a heap of mods for it for balancing and other reasons, but I can't exactly remember what those were or whether they were all really necessary.

What I do remember was that there were more than one balancing mods (not just ooo), which conflicted with each other, but either way they were really necessary to make the game enjoyable. Other than that, there were some I-don't-know-what mods that seemed to make sense at the time.

So what do you think should be on the list of must-have mods in order to make Oblivion truly enjoyable? One condition is that they shouldn't conflict with each other, but I guess that's pretty self-evident. Some mods that make the game more pretty (since that's the game's selling point after all) are welcome too, or ones that add in fun gameplay related stuff.

Give me your best shot.

dragonfk

Erudite
WHat I may advise you: go to ESF and look for topics titled "Must have mods"...

On th side note, from my experience mods wont help if you want role playing. But I think you know this already.

From my limited experience, which is by the way about half a year old, you will need:

Francesco mod, MMM, AWS, definitly all Jogs mods also I liked Piratelords Trade fix mod or something like that, other than tha I dont quite remember. Unfortunately for U I keep my outdated list on my stationary PC which is way away from me. So go to ESF and may the god guide you and shield you from stupidity those forum is full of.

Jericho

Novice
I'm not gonna delude myself into believing Oblivion is a decent RPG; you guys at least have taught me it's at best a decent hack 'n slash, and I'm fine with that! For what it's worth, I actually enjoyed roaming around in empty fields shooting at boars and dears, casting fireballs at spiders while totally disregarding the main plot or the great voice acting (lol).

So yeah, the game in itself, given the shitty leveling system, barely allows for even a playable hack 'n slash, which is sad. So no, I'm not asking you for mods that'll make it a good RPG. Just some mods that will make it a fun game to play.

And yeah I'll check out the ESF boards (they're fucking horrible) and check up on some mods. I'm just worried that they may give me wrong suggestions. I must be paranoid.

Jericho

Novice
Alright thanks, I'll give it a go.

And thanks for the suggestions you gave. They sound familiar, and I expect to see them again on that ESF thread.

Catalina

Scholar
Ha, I admire your bravery in posting this topic here.

Based on your criteria, I'd suggest here as a good jumping off point.

Ok, seriously, I'll give you some real sites. Iif you're looking for graphical improvements, especially the atmospheric kind, http://devnull.devakm.googlepages.com/home is indespensible. There are pictures of what the mods do, as well as comparisons. The site also has some other good lists and FAQ's as well.

http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/in ... od_mods.3F is a good starting place for mods in general. Or you can google "must have oblivion mods" or somesuch. Forum posts are usually a good place to read through.

I played about 9 months ago, but I remember that I could not play without
A) A leveled creature/items mod.
B) a good underwater visibility mod
C)a mod that makes the fricking torches brighter

If you haven't played before, I'd suggest playing vanilla so you can figure out what you'd like changed about the game. Since you're only looking for a hack n' slash type experience, chances are what you want will have been modded.

Herbert West

Arbiter
part1_27.jpg

part1_28.jpg

Aahahahahaha :lol: hahahahahahaha *dying of exhaustion due to too much laugh*

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Jericho said:
I'm not gonna delude myself into believing Oblivion is a decent RPG; you guys at least have taught me it's at best a decent hack 'n slash, and I'm fine with that! For what it's worth, I actually enjoyed roaming around in empty fields shooting at boars and dears, casting fireballs at spiders while totally disregarding the main plot or the great voice acting (lol).

So yeah, the game in itself, given the shitty leveling system, barely allows for even a playable hack 'n slash, which is sad. So no, I'm not asking you for mods that'll make it a good RPG. Just some mods that will make it a fun game to play.

And yeah I'll check out the ESF boards (they're fucking horrible) and check up on some mods. I'm just worried that they may give me wrong suggestions. I must be paranoid.
The Oblivion Mods Section is fine. It's the Oblivion General that will infect you with brain AIDS.

One of my "make it more fun" mods that I can recall is Midas Magic: Spells of Aurum. A quick n' dirty description is that it adds several new spells with unique effects-both gameplay and graphically in some cases. The way you learn them is also unconventional: you must gather reagents (some of the more powerful spells require the sacrificing of some Daedric Artifacts), and all the spells will require at least one gold nugget to make.

The current running thread which can explain it in far greater detail than I can can be found here

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
I'm planning on reinstalling Oblivion and using Tamriel Immersion Experience as soon as I'm finished with the Witcher and a few NWN mods on my playlist.

It removes level scaling, adds NPCs, and generally makes the game more difficult. Lingwe (or Lingwei) is also working on a mod to add choices and consequences, called, interestingly enough, Choices and Consequences.

Herbert West

Arbiter
Cassidy said:
I think the only hope is to turn it into a pure FPS with much harder difficulty through mods, because it's much close to that genre than to a RPG.

Hail Cassidy, the saviour of Bethesda! Your idea is maybe the only hope they have. I think they should port Wolfenstein 3D to the oblivion engine.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Modding Oblivion can turn into a vicious cycle. So much to improve...and so many mods that *do* improve the game. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of time and personally I just wound up constantly looking for and downloading mods and never really played the game much. There was always a mod I was waiting for to be updated.

Squeek

Scholar
Exactly. I really wanted Oblivion to be good. I remember actually feeling excited when I was installing it.

After a while that changed to really wanting modders to make it good and getting excited about the stuff they had in the works. It was a lot of work, keeping track of everything, trying to stay up to date, etc.

Eventually...you know.

Herbert West

Arbiter
Cassidy said:
Wolfenstein 3D lacks soil erosion and bloom, it's definitively a fake. I recommend they contact 3DRealms for a Duke Nukem Forever joint-venture instead: mainly because then they can implement stuff like the fatman and healing pisses on toilets without disregarding the Setting of the series.

The main reason Duke Nukem Forever would indeed be better is that Beth would spend the next 20 years in getting that game done, while not unleashing any other artrocity due to total commitment to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom