Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information EU rules publishers cannot stop you reselling your downloaded games

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
valve actually allowed transfer of your already used games to different accounts at some point. gamersgate even advertised with the ability of being able to resell/transfer your gg games back when it still belonged to paradox. not sure if steam or gg still roll that way
That's odd, I specifically asked Steam Support (I had an old account I wanted some games transferred from) and they said they couldn't do it.

Arikel

Novice
Eh i dunno if it would be that hard to implement, just allow you to package up games on your steam account and send them as a a "gift" to another steam user. Hell Valve could also offer a steam wallet service, so instead of fucking around with how to get the other guy to pay you the funds would go from his steam wallet to yours directly, and probably could figure out a way to profit from that (3% of the sale or what not goes to valve) for providing the auction house you can sell your game in. GOG could do this as well, but with their method of downloading might have difficulties keeping the game from the hands of the original owner, though their user base might be less inclined to do so (their general nature is anti-drm, but also anti-pirate). I haven't used any other download services, but surely most of them could also implement game trading services in this way also, and by providing the money transfer service onsite, would even be able to make some money back.

joeydohn

Savant
Eh i dunno if it would be that hard to implement, just allow you to package up games on your steam account and send them as a a "gift" to another steam user. Hell Valve could also offer a steam wallet service, so instead of fucking around with how to get the other guy to pay you the funds would go from his steam wallet to yours directly, and probably could figure out a way to profit from that (3% of the sale or what not goes to valve) for providing the auction house you can sell your game in. GOG could do this as well, but with their method of downloading might have difficulties keeping the game from the hands of the original owner, though their user base might be less inclined to do so (their general nature is anti-drm, but also anti-pirate). I haven't used any other download services, but surely most of them could also implement game trading services in this way also, and by providing the money transfer service onsite, would even be able to make some money back.

Steam could take a 15% cut on any sales and whenever you take money out of their system too, what a brilliant idea.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Eh i dunno if it would be that hard to implement, just allow you to package up games on your steam account and send them as a a "gift" to another steam user. Hell Valve could also offer a steam wallet service, so instead of fucking around with how to get the other guy to pay you the funds would go from his steam wallet to yours directly, and probably could figure out a way to profit from that (3% of the sale or what not goes to valve) for providing the auction house you can sell your game in.
Yes, that's the way to go.

GOG could do this as well, but with their method of downloading might have difficulties keeping the game from the hands of the original owner, though their user base might be less inclined to do so (their general nature is anti-drm, but also anti-pirate).
GOG could do it just like Steam: implement a way of transfering ownernship of games between accounts. As for keeping the original owner from keeping it, it's beside the point because the original owner could give it to anyone else anyway because of the DRM-free nature of GOG games. That whole issue is trusted upon the users now and should be just as well trusted upon the users after the change (otherwise, they would need to add DRM, which would mean them shooting themselves in the foot by losing their competitive advantage, namely GOG's games DRM-free nature).

Bulba

Learned
What's the point of drm on old games anyway? it's not like if they let you download it drm-free and you give it to someone else it will increase piracy. Whomever wants to acquire a game illigaly can do so way to easely.

Afterall only the paying consumers suffer from the drm pain.

And I don't belive there will be any major shifts to mmos, since they are a completely different market. Everyone that could do it have done so already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom