Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Even the Japs are doing it now...

Suicidal

Arcane
Do you think the fantasy here will be darker than in Dragon Age? This one has more dark colors after all.

mondblut

Arcane
After 20+ years, japs decided to finally make an RPG for a change?

Maybe, just maybe, it won't even have tree trunk-sized swords, spiky hairs and bulging eyes?

I cross my fingers.

Mic Turner

Novice
uhjghvt said:
Gragt said:
Oblivion with slanty eyes mod, pharaonic phallic sword mod, colourful fantasy hair mod and erotic female voices mod.
the sad thing is that all of these mods probably exist

Hell, since it failed spectacularly as a CRPG, giving an Oblivion-like the full JRPG treatment might be the only way to save it: it WON'T become something like Fallout (or even Morrowind), but it might become enjoyable and, if we're very, very lucky, have some pretty twisted C&C.
It sure couldn't become worse.

Having three endings is C&C now? Holy shit, STALKER!

And incidentally, it doesn't get less jRPG than SMT.

Zhirzzh

Scholar
Emotional Vampire said:

SMT IS a JRPG. I'm not really seeing how it is less of a JRPG then a game that isn't one.

Mic Turner

Novice
Emotional Vampire said:

It's a dungeon crawler, what do you expect more than being able to affect how the war goes on through pretty much anything you do (yes, even choosing whether to slaughter or not the random encounters counts)?

Debatable; its entire premise is the conflict between order and chaos, something we rarely see in western media.

Mic Turner said:
It's a dungeon crawler, what do you expect more than being able to affect how the war goes on through pretty much anything you do

And everything you do is kill the mobs. STALKER stays.

Debatable; its entire premise is the conflict between order and chaos, something we rarely see in western media.

Considering in "western media" evil is (almost)always chaotic and good is (almost)always lawful, not really.

@Zhirzzh, and fuck your nickname, seriousy, I had to copy and paste it: Because it's not typical example of the genre. Even *I* admit it's less dumb than most other jayz.

Mic Turner

Novice
Emotional Vampire said:
And everything you do is kill the mobs. STALKER stays.

Not really, since you can of course kill the mobs, but you can also scare them away, bribe them, rob them or make them join you by any means at your disposion.
I grant you, it's still pretty much combat oriented, but then aren't pretty much all CRPGs? Even many of the good ones? I mean, BG2 was a great game, but you were out there slauthering an unholy number of faceless goons, and often you had no choice about it, save from avoiding the sidequest entirely.

Considering in "western media" evil is (almost)always chaotic and good is (almost)always lawful, not really.

Yes, but the point is that in SMT the good / evil axis is pretty much negligible, since good and evil creatures are equally distributed. That's pretty much what The Witcher did with its Order and its elven terrorists, and I don't remember other examples.

Mic Turner said:
I grant you, it's still pretty much combat oriented, but then aren't pretty much all CRPGs? Even many of the good ones? I mean, BG2 was a great game, but you were out there slauthering an unholy number of faceless goons, and often you had no choice about it, save from avoiding the sidequest entirely.

Yeah, but combat in BG2 was great, and you didn't have to grind forever just to beat some random dude.

Mic Turner

Novice
Emotional Vampire said:
Yeah, but combat in BG2 was great, and you didn't have to grind forever just to beat some random dude.

Well, that's true, even if you don't always have to fight. I suppose I didn't mind it much because of the whole "kicking both Asura's and the archangel Michael's asses" factor :D

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
BG2 was a well-polished game. Whether you consider it to be great or not is a matter of taste. Also in before Mareus calls me a liar.

Disconnected

Scholar
SuicideBunny said:
looks like the standard issue giant flying jrpg manta.
Seems my plan to stay ignorant of all things jRPG since FF worked out then. Go me.

Nevertheless, it looks cool. As does the big, toothy alcove monster in one of the other screenies. Basically, if it's got Oblivion-like gameplay and those screenies are representative, I'm in. It doesn't have to be a rpg for me to have fun with it.

You all seem to be forgetting this is a PS3 exclusive.

Or do you want to tell me you all own PS3's? That would explain a lot.

Disconnected

Scholar
Emotional Vampire said:
You all seem to be forgetting this is a PS3 exclusive.

Or do you want to tell me you all own PS3's? That would explain a lot.
No. I'm just assuming that since they probably use an internal PC build for logistics reasons, they'll eventually do a port if the game doesn't flop. I mean, why not? It's as close to guaranteed to make a profit as video games can get.

Disconnected

Scholar
Emotional Vampire said:
Yeah, just like all the other japanese Playstation games that got ported to PC.
Well, I've only played PC ports of jRPGs, and like I said it's not something I've paid the least bit of attention to for years, so why would I assume a port wouldn't be in the cards? Thanks for setting me straight though. No fun waiting for something that never materialises.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom