Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Everspace - a rogue-like PC space shooter

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
For $20 Rebel Galaxy is a solid game. It's more a proof-of-concept for a more in-depth game. Matt and Erich did it with Torchlight 1 that led to the more fleshed out Torchlight 2. In the Rebel Galaxy 'sequel' upcoming, I'm sure there will be many additional features that improve upon games like Freelancer and Privateer.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
For $20 Rebel Galaxy is a solid game. It's more a proof-of-concept for a more in-depth game. Matt and Erich did it with Torchlight 1 that led to the more fleshed out Torchlight 2. In the Rebel Galaxy 'sequel' upcoming, I'm sure there will be many additional features that improve upon games like Freelancer and Privateer.
i wonder why they went with a 2d combat system with a single turret view attack mode in a 3d space shooter. if it's a deliberate design decision and we must assume it is since 3d space shooters are nothing new or impossible to do then there is little hope.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
i wonder why they went with a 2d combat system with a single turret view attack mode in a 3d space shooter. if it's a deliberate design decision and we must assume it is since 3d space shooters are nothing new or impossible to do then there is little hope.
To keep costs down. The sequel will be 3D.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
To keep costs down. The sequel will be 3D.
they couldn't save money on graphics? they had to cut a whole fucking dimension?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Seems like it was successful enough to fund another game so... ?

toroid

Arcane
Picked this up during the sale and I think it's worth the 15 bucks. Got about 25 hours out of it before I got kinda bored with the grind for barely significant incremental upgrades.

Pros:
- Rooty tooty 6DoF shooty.
- Looks nice.

Cons:
- Time limit placed on how long you can stay in each area before the rape crew arrives. I hate being rushed by unnecessary time limits. I played on easy difficulty to get the time limit extension.
- Have to play with "inertial dampener" subsystem turned on. There's a random drop called the Infinite Drift subroutine that enables mostly newtonian flight, but it's a random drop. May never see it.
- Random is too random. I've had too many runs where I found no access keys to get the good loot and unlockables.
- Individual upgrades don't feel rewarding, and the positive effects of most unlockable enhancements are offset with potent negative side effects which negate their appeal.
- Too grindy. Not enough improvement in offensive/defensive strength to feel like you're getting really powerful. Most success comes from improvement in player skill.

Naraya

Arcane
FYI - there is an upgrade that gets rid of the interceptor death squad, I highly reccommend it. Also, the amount of keys and good loot increases with difficulty level (also good loot chance can be upgraded).

toroid

Arcane
FYI - there is an upgrade that gets rid of the interceptor death squad, I highly reccommend it. Also, the amount of keys and good loot increases with difficulty level (also good loot chance can be upgraded).

Yeah, the Low Profile glyph. I highly recommend that the game hurries up and pulls it out of its RNG ass. That's pretty much necessary at this point for me to enjoy the game at higher difficulty settings. Easy difficulty reliably gives me enough time to sweep each area, and I reluctantly admit that's worth the disappointing tradeoff of getting less unlockables and loot. Again, I strongly dislike timed gameplay especially when it's so integral to the core design. I need more variation from the constant tension and I don't appreciate the game being so pushy about how it should be paced. IMO, any game with exploration or loot hunting elements automatically has its enjoyability impaired when it so aggressively tells you to drop what you're doing and go to the next level. Not to mention it's using a cheap mechanism to limit the rate at which you're allowed to gather what you need to make upgrade progress; artificially padding the time needed to 100% complete it.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Eh, it's not that big of a deal to me. Once you get the glyph it's a non issue forever.... and you can just keep it for future playthroughs. I find it kind of fun sometimes to be under the gun... and sometimes I like to fly casual. I am glad the game gives me the choice.

toroid

Arcane
Eh, it's not that big of a deal to me. Once you get the glyph it's a non issue forever.... and you can just keep it for future playthroughs. I find it kind of fun sometimes to be under the gun... and sometimes I like to fly casual. I am glad the game gives me the choice.

I don't disagree with you. But unfortunately the game doesn't give you the choice until the RNG rolls in your favor and drops the glyph. It's silly to make gameplay enhancements like this only unlockable through random chance that may never occur in 100 hours of playtime. I think the devs got too stingy when it came to designing the rate of progression, and too lazy when it came to considering easier enablement of alternative playstyles. I've enjoyed my time so far with the game but it truly becomes a grind at some point.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
It definitely does not take 100 hours of playtime, ever. More like 15-20 which is nothing at all. This is fine, you should have to take your licks and experience the pressure before being rewarded with such a great feature.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
new recurring voice acted characters with sidequests, new spaceports, new items and ship, just overall more depth and flavor

there's plenty of reviews it's been out for a year

Aildrik

Savant
Adding to what bertram said, there are NPCs you meet that give you missions; most of them require gathering items or taking out a special NPC enemy. In most cases I have seen, it requires multiple plays through the game to get the requested items.

GreyViper

Prophet
Why no radar or is it an upgrade you need to get?
How many space games have no radar?
It's intentional, I think they used to have probes that scouted out the whole sector. Now you either develop a hunch what asterid or structure would have the goodies or use SENSORY OVERLOAD all enemies and loot are visible on the radar (unlimited sensor range).
This way you don't have to much time to get all the loot and have to decide what to go for before fleet drops in.
But oh boy that NEUTRON CANNON - Fires balls of concentrated neutron energy that deals huge amounts of area damage. Charging this weapon will increase both damage and impact radius, its like having ARC 9000 as a gun when you beef it up.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Anyone who has any experience with this also played Starpoint Gemini 2? Which is better? This seems to win on graphics going by the steam screenshots but which has better ship combat? And world? SPG2 seems to be more RPGish too. So, any idea?

adrix89

Arbiter
Why are there so many of my country here?
Anyone who has any experience with this also played Starpoint Gemini 2? Which is better? This seems to win on graphics going by the steam screenshots but which has better ship combat? And world? SPG2 seems to be more RPGish too. So, any idea?
Played the Warlords version. Combat is definitely more shit then Everspace. Fleet battles are a complete unbalanced clusterfuck, not even the basics of Rock Paper Scissors tactics between ship classes and dogfighting is pointless also.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I played both. They are kind of different games. Everspace is rogue lite game with fast space combat (think Descent games) and little else. But combat and graphics are very good and when you die all the upgrades you collected stay with you for your next run so eventually you will be able to finish one run (and then find out you need to finish it multiple times to get the full story :D)

SG2 is more like Rebel Galaxy or Freelancer. You go around the play area and trade, blow up shit and do story missions. You only got one run, if you die you load your save. Game is much slower with lots of time being spent travelling from A to B. Combat is less action based and less flashy.

If you value combat in these games over other stuff, Everspace is a much superior product.

Last edited:

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Thanks for the info! Seems Everspace has better combat which is very important for me. SG2 is available in a neat bundle though. Looks like I may have to get both on the next sale.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom