Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EVERYONE KILL BETHESDA AND PETE HINES NOW

kris

Arcane
Chefe said:
I just love Jesus.

Thanks. According to others I am Jesus or at least was at Haloween... just don't expect any sweet love back from my side.

Give all your money to someone poor, like that commie Tintin.

Balor

Arcane
Well, question is, most monotheistic religions are centered on dumbing people down, making them slaves of illusions (Any religion is based on dogmas you must believe it, w/o applying any criticism – otherwise you are ‘bad believer’), feeding their fears (behave yourself, respect Church, don’t believe an any other gods or you’ll burn in Hell, heathen!).
Remember, Christianity was invented by slaves that didn’t want to be free –any ‘born and bred slave’ don’t want to be free – they want a master that will take care of them, protect them, feed them, but will punish them as seldom as possible, and will not make them work too much.
Give freedom to such slave – and he will not know what to do! He cannot work without someone to supervise him, cannot protect himself, cannot feed himself, etc.
Christian god is a fine example of such ‘Ultimate master’.

So, it’s logical that people that are free at heart despise such people. How can you respect people that willingly made themselves slaves?

“Hear!
You considered yourself to be free
Yet
You seem like a slave to me.

You afraid to think wrong
You afraid to say wrong
You are a slave of fear!

Horrifying
Is to think that gods don’t love you
Down
Is falling fist on you,

Afraid to live, afraid to die
Afraid to fall, afraid to fly
You are a slave of fear!

Slavery!
It crashes you in its grip.
Slavery!
It fills your brain full of shit.

You cringe while fools beat at you
And your kids will be slaves like you do
You are a slave of fear!

Horrifying
The world is build by generations of slaves
Horrifying
The world would be a mute and deaf place
You are a slave of fear!”

Aria, “Slave of Fear”, lamely, yet somewhat poetically translated from Russian by yours truly. (with a few clips)

Well I can't really think of an occupation where you're not a slave.

I think almost all of us are just slaves, whores, etc. one way or another.

Employees are the slaves of the employers.
People with their own business are slaves to the market.

You could say someone on a deserted island is very free. Though I'd say he/she would be a slave to the laws of nature. Ok we're all slaves off the laws of nature, but someone who's alone like that would have a hard time.

Ok, maybe people who were born fabulously wealthy aren't slaves/whores, but that doens't seem ideal to me as well. I wouldn't want to be born a rich spoiled brat (well I kinda am if you'd compare me to say 3rd world people, but you know what I mean).
I can't explain why. :?

You could say the outlaws are free. They don't respect anything. Well you would certainly get that idea from playing GTA-games. Yet reality is very different. You're a slave to the gang-culture.

Our freedom is the freedom to choose our masters. :(

Proweler

Scholar
Balor said:
Well, question is, most monotheistic religions are centered on dumbing people down, making them slaves of illusions.

Sounds pretty much like making a game these days. :P

Balor

Arcane
Our freedom is the freedom to choose our masters.
Then I choose myself as my master, and none other.
Sounds pretty much like making a game these days.
Yup, they have good teachers :).
sf20010118.gif

Pete

Novice
The delay was made to address certain features in the game that were not ready for prime-time.

I don't understand your problems with this. Are you angry that we're not releasing a premature, buggy game?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
No, the problem is not with the delay, but with the way it was handled.

Edit: Assuming that you are the Pete, would it have killed you to say something in timely manner?

ExMonk

Scholar
Balor said:
Well, question is, most monotheistic religions are centered on dumbing people down, making them slaves of illusions (Any religion is based on dogmas you must believe it, w/o applying any criticism – otherwise you are ‘bad believer’), feeding their fears (behave yourself, respect Church, don’t believe an any other gods or you’ll burn in Hell, heathen!).
Remember, Christianity was invented by slaves that didn’t want to be free –any ‘born and bred slave’ don’t want to be free – they want a master that will take care of them, protect them, feed them, but will punish them as seldom as possible, and will not make them work too much.
Give freedom to such slave – and he will not know what to do! He cannot work without someone to supervise him, cannot protect himself, cannot feed himself, etc.
Christian god is a fine example of such ‘Ultimate master’.

So, it’s logical that people that are free at heart despise such people. How can you respect people that willingly made themselves slaves?

“Hear!
You considered yourself to be free
Yet
You seem like a slave to me.

You afraid to think wrong
You afraid to say wrong
You are a slave of fear!

Horrifying
Is to think that gods don’t love you
Down
Is falling fist on you,

Afraid to live, afraid to die
Afraid to fall, afraid to fly
You are a slave of fear!

Slavery!
It crashes you in its grip.
Slavery!
It fills your brain full of shit.

You cringe while fools beat at you
And your kids will be slaves like you do
You are a slave of fear!

Horrifying
The world is build by generations of slaves
Horrifying
The world would be a mute and deaf place
You are a slave of fear!”

Aria, “Slave of Fear”, lamely, yet somewhat poetically translated from Russian by yours truly. (with a few clips)

From where I'm sitting, you are the slave.

"Everyone who commits sin is a slave of sin. But if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

You want to talk illusions, ignoramus? Your freedom is an illusion of the highest order.

Your knowledge of religion is sterotyping on steroids. Yea, Balor, we're all mindless, unthinking, uncritical drones. No one with any intelligence follows a monotheistic religon. We never question anything. Uh huh. Sure. All the intelligent and free people are atheists or the practictioners of non-monotheistic religions. Right.

But we all have our gifts and abliities. Yours is is obviously humiliating yourself in public on a subject about which you know next to nothing. I have to say, you're really good at it.

Where did you ever get the idea that Christianity was started by slaves? Love to hear your proof of this. I'm listening.

What an idiot.

Pete

Novice
We updated the FAQ within days of the announcement by Take2. We've been releasing a steady stream of information from day one of the Oblivion's initial annoucement last year, including this.

It's not my fault if folks are too impatient to wait until we're ready. We had to be certain that we needed more time, as not to mislead people. This game is huge. Bigger than anything we've done before. I can understand that fans are upset because of the delay, but I think that they will realize improvements and modifications were necessary, and they'll be happy with a game that's complete and not riddled with bugs.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Pete said:
We updated the FAQ within days of the announcement by Take2. We've been releasing a steady stream of information from day one of the annoucement, including this.
"Days" is perhaps 2-3 days too long. Besides, quietly updating the FAQ is not the same as making an official announcement - a confirmation of what's already out of the bag.

It's not my fault if folks are too impatient to wait until we're ready.
We are. Taking more time is always a good thing in my book.

I can understand that fans are upset because of the delay, but I think that they will realize improvements and modifications were necessary, and they'll be happy with a game that's complete and not riddled with bugs.
Once again, it's not about the delay, it's about the lack of response and hoping that people will get a clue and shut up eventually.

ExMonk

Scholar
Pete said:
We updated the FAQ within days of the announcement by Take2. We've been releasing a steady stream of information from day one of the annoucement, including this.

It's not my fault if folks are too impatient to wait until we're ready. We had to be certain that we needed more time, as not to mislead people. This game is huge. Bigger than anything we've done before. I can understand that fans are upset because of the delay, but I think that they will realize improvements and modifications were necessary, and they'll be happy with a game that's complete and not riddled with bugs.

Sorry, this doesn't cut it. You left your most loyal fans and the media in the dark for nearly a week. How is that doing public relations? A short statement saying that you were not able to comment yet but would as soon as you were able would have been appropriate. Even your faq comes across as condescending and aloof. "So Todd and I were talking and last night and we decided..." What is that? Its like you were totally oblivious (pun intended) to the the pleading for answers that had been going on on the official forum. You come across as someone who despises the gaming community, and who is too busy to care. So who IS the public in public relations?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Guys, when you try to overexpand semantics you are defeating the purpose. We have a word slave to express a certain idea. You can expand any word to mean anything, but that defeats the purpose of having a specific word in the first place.

Anyways, like I said, you all know the difference between an employee and a slave, even if an employee must sometimes work slavishly. That's why we have 2 different words for them, employee and slave.

Now, on the other hand, you COULD argue that housing/feeding/caring for slaves is a form of compensation, as pay is. But even then, you're trying to force ambiguity when there really shouldn't be any.

Chefe

Erudite
Does this mean I get to talk to Pete without having my post deleted by the ES Nazi-mods?

Well, if you're Pete...

Pete said:
We updated the FAQ within days of the announcement by Take2.

Yea, thanks for quietly hiding it in there, bitch.

We've been releasing a steady stream of information from day one of the Oblivion's initial annoucement last year, including this.

Like.... screenshots and a video that had been circulating the internet for months before? OOH NEW INFORMASHUN!!!1

It's not my fault if folks are too impatient to wait until we're ready.

It's not their fault if the PR guy is a dickhead. I'd be surprised if your ass doesn't get fired after this.

We had to be certain that we needed more time, as not to mislead people.

Oh yes, doctoring screenshots isn't misleading. We saw the ruskie's screenshots, we know how it's going to look. Don't give me that "it's unoptimized!!111" bullshit. Any word on this?

Bigger than anything we've done before.I can understand that fans are upset because of the delay, but I think that they will realize improvements and modifications were necessary, and they'll be happy with a game that's complete and not riddled with bugs.

Hmmm... do I smell another "trust us, I'll be cool" statement? Yes, yes I do!

Oh and, if you're not Pete... fuck off bitch.

Revasser

Scholar
Chefe said:
Does this mean I get to talk to Pete without having my post deleted by the ES Nazi-mods?

Well, if you're Pete...

<snip!>

Ahhh, Chefe, Chefe, Chefe. You've been waiting for this chance for a long time, haven't you?

Oh, and Pete, don't you think posting here might invite the wrath of the Official Forumers? They're pissed already, imagine what your posting here at the Evil Codex is going to do to them! Granted, though, if I was in your position, I wouldn't give a shit, either. Still, it's good to have you here, though why'd you bother posting here, of all places, is beyond me.

HardCode

Erudite
Pete said:
We updated the FAQ within days of the announcement by Take2. We've been releasing a steady stream of information from day one of the Oblivion's initial annoucement last year, including this.

Okay, assuming that you are really Pete Hines:

1. Well, I just gained some respect for you for coming here to this viper pit of a forum, if that matters to you at all.

2. There are two things about the delay:
a. The ADHD kids are mad about the delay. (Fuck them)
b. The mature gamers are mad about the lack of prompt information.
Considering the impact of the news, five days is way too fucking long. No way man, can't let you off easy for that. We understand there is a delay. Take2 making an SEC announcement, for lack of a better description, pretty much shored that up. But the Bethesda silence for five days in unexcusable. Remember that every market's consumers expect different things. Car buyers expect certain information in a certain time frame. Home buyers expect different information in a different time frame. Techology buyers expect other information in other time frames.

This brings us to game consumers, who expect an even different set of information in yet another different time frame. This market has a unique element where consumers can communicate directly with the creators and makers of the product. With this heightened level of communications come greater expectations.

You cannot change the expectations of the consumer, you have to work with it. If that entails more work, so be it. This is the way the game market has evolved. Failure to meet the consumer's expectations is a very bad thing. It costs sales, it costs revenue.

No one is asking you for a dissertation every day, or every week. But this game market does ask for a constant flow of information. Unless you can change the minds of all of the customers, this marketing goal must be met. Hell, where I work, we must bend over backwards to meet the expectations of clients, else we will be out of business very fast.

Overall, you really should consider answering questions prompty. And it is obvious what the important questions are. I think your philosophy of not wanting to release inaccurate/changing information is doing more harm than good. So, system specs change? What is the big deal of having the webmaster constantly (as in every few days?) update the system specs as they change? What is the big deal of imforming the public of changes and optimizations on a regualar basis? You could gain NOTHING but customer confidence and respect. It would take a few days for a webmaster to create a DB of the most important aspects of the game, and adjust them as things change. Then, everyone can go to the official website and see "what the current status of X is right now."

Hiding behind the "we don't want to tell you wrong information" isn't working out. Take this as consumer feedback. You need to get in touch with the customer a little more. Take advantage of the next few months before release to put on a "new PR face" for Bethesda. It will only be for the company's benefit. It can't do any more harm that the current policy. With a constant, dynamic flow of information as things change, no one can hold Bethesda to, "But you said <this> and gave <that>!!!" You don't have to release system specs, for example, only once. Keep a constant update. Consumers would love and respect that.

But what do I know? I am only the consumer. In all honest, Bethesda policy is making me, the paying customer, not want to buy Oblivion. And I say that honestly. I refuse to buy Battlefield2 because of how EA handled BF1942. I may not affect their bottom line, but they don't have and will not get my money.

Pete

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
"Days" is perhaps 2-3 days too long. Besides, quietly updating the FAQ is not the same as making an official announcement - a confirmation of what's already out of the bag.

Once again, it's not about the delay, it's about the lack of response and hoping that people will get a clue and shut up eventually.

It's been a hectic time for us, and we couldn't get the site updated immediately. These things happen. Deal with it.

Pete

Novice
ExMonk said:
Sorry, this doesn't cut it. You left your most loyal fans and the media in the dark for nearly a week. How is that doing public relations? A short statement saying that you were not able to comment yet but would as soon as you were able would have been appropriate. Even your faq comes across as condescending and aloof. "So Todd and I were talking and last night and we decided..." What is that? Its like you were totally oblivious (pun intended) to the the pleading for answers that had been going on on the official forum. You come across as someone who despises the gaming community, and who is too busy to care. So who IS the public in public relations?

The public is our customers, of course. Like I said, it takes time for these things to happen. I can't just snap my fingers and have everything be perfect. Todd and I were discussing how we should present this, is that so damn wrong? Besides, we have around a few hundred regular posters, possibly a thousand, I'm guessing. Catering to their every whim is not in my job application, and it isn't good business.

I'm here to give present to all people, those who are familiar with the Elder Scrolls series and those who aren't, about the game. You don't like the way we released the information? Tough. I'm not going to put up a banner on ElderScrolls.com that says I'm sorry.

Chefe said:
Well, if you're Pete...

Thanks for the information.

Chefe

Erudite
HardCode said:
Okay, assuming that you are really Pete Hines:

1. Well, I just gained some respect for you for coming here to this viper pit of a forum, if that matters to you at all.

2. There are two things about the delay:
a. The ADHD kids are mad about the delay. (Fuck them)
b. The mature gamers are mad about the lack of prompt information.
Considering the impact of the news, five days is way too fucking long. No way man, can't let you off easy for that. We understand there is a delay. Take2 making an SEC announcement, for lack of a better description, pretty much shored that up. But the Bethesda silence for five days in unexcusable. Remember that every market's consumers expect different things. Car buyers expect certain information in a certain time frame. Home buyers expect different information in a different time frame. Techology buyers expect other information in other time frames.

This brings us to game consumers, who expect an even different set of information in yet another different time frame. This market has a unique element where consumers can communicate directly with the creators and makers of the product. With this heightened level of communications come greater expectations.

You cannot change the expectations of the consumer, you have to work with it. If that entails more work, so be it. This is the way the game market has evolved. Failure to meet the consumer's expectations is a very bad thing. It costs sales, it costs revenue.

No one is asking you for a dissertation every day, or every week. But this game market does ask for a constant flow of information. Unless you can change the minds of all of the customers, this marketing goal must be met. Hell, where I work, we must bend over backwards to meet the expectations of clients, else we will be out of business very fast.

Overall, you really should consider answering questions prompty. And it is obvious what the important questions are. I think your philosophy of not wanting to release inaccurate/changing information is doing more harm than good. So, system specs change? What is the big deal of having the webmaster constantly (as in every few days?) update the system specs as they change? What is the big deal of imforming the public of changes and optimizations on a regualar basis? You could gain NOTHING but customer confidence and respect. It would take a few days for a webmaster to create a DB of the most important aspects of the game, and adjust them as things change. Then, everyone can go to the official website and see "what the current status of X is right now."

Hiding behind the "we don't want to tell you wrong information" isn't working out. Take this as consumer feedback. You need to get in touch with the customer a little more. Take advantage of the next few months before release to put on a "new PR face" for Bethesda. It will only be for the company's benefit. It can't do any more harm that the current policy. With a constant, dynamic flow of information as things change, no one can hold Bethesda to, "But you said <this> and gave <that>!!!" You don't have to release system specs, for example, only once. Keep a constant update. Consumers would love and respect that.

But what do I know? I am only the consumer. In all honest, Bethesda policy is making me, the paying customer, not want to buy Oblivion. And I say that honestly. I refuse to buy Battlefield2 because of how EA handled BF1942. I may not affect their bottom line, but they don't have and will not get my money.

Hear! Hear!

HardCode

Erudite
I am going to withhold further comment until user account Pete has the Bethesda logo by the name.

Revasser

Scholar
HardCode said:
I am going to withhold further comment until user account Pete has the Bethesda logo by the name.

Or at least until MSFD comes and says he's the Real McCoy. Still, I'll be very disappointed if it's not our friend Pete, because this 'Pete', at least, has some spine.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Revasser said:
HardCode said:

Or at least until MSFD comes and says he's the Real McCoy. Still, I'll be very disappointed if it's not our friend Pete, because this 'Pete', at least, has some spine.
Yes, agreed on all counts.

I have my indelible marker ready to write "Mary" on my left testicle, if required.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Pete said:
Vault Dweller said:

It's been a hectic time for us, and we couldn't get the site updated immediately. These things happen. Deal with it.
Deal with it? lol Does it look like I'm losing sleep over it? You are the one who has to deal with it, but I'm glad to know that you are doing fine. As for that lame "we couldn't get the site updated" excuse, how long did it take you to post that message creatively called Update on things? Just curious.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Shagnak said:
Revasser said:
HardCode said:

Yes, agreed on all counts.

I have my indelible marker ready to write "Mary" on my left testicle, if required.
Who really cares? Anyone who wishes to represent Pete Hines here is as entertaining as the man himself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom