Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Evil Genius is boring and extremely frustrating

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Has anyone finished this? I'm up to mission 3 I think, where I'm supposed to get the four leaders of crime together and I've given up (months ago actually). I got fed up with my base being infiltrated because I seemingly don't have the leet stuff to hide it yet and can't afford to furnish my hotel. Then when I get those guys in red that I've forgotten what they're called, instead of working at the hotel (even with the time clock and everything) they spend their time running around the base, setting off traps and getting shot by infiltrators when they go to put out a fire. The fact I have no control over them is hideously frustrating.

Overall I found the demo more enjoyable than the actual game. It was easy enough to set your base on yellow alert and just kill all the bad guys that came in. Here, I'm trying to hide the base from them with traps which only get set off, disrupting and confusing my own men, leading to their deaths and a never ending downward spiral of annoyance.

Spazmo

Erudite
Evil Genius is a brilliant idea with very poor execution. There's so much tedious stuff that could be made better.

dagamer667

Liturgist
It's a fun game but you have to have a lot of patience (and time) to enjoy it.

Greenskin13

Erudite
DrattedTin is the master of base designs.

Base design is key in this game. You have to contruct a base that bores the agents for a while or kill them outrightly.

The first part is to make sure that all your entry spots enter into legal sections. This means bunkers, mess halls, rec rooms. Make sure no illegal items are stored here, including stolen loot or even mundane objects that make heat. Make these rooms wind and mazelike, so that agents waste a lot of time around these cold places. Towards the back of your base is where you store all the hot rooms, like your control room and your armory, as well as your loot. This makes the base very inefficient, since workers will be running towards the back of your base to store gold or get briefcases, and is also hard to do in the first level since they give you hot rooms before cold ones. And even then, this won't prevent the determined agent from finding your freezer full of bodies, but it will buy you time so that you can pounce on the agent before he can get away and make his report.

The second part is the hall of death. This is a lot of fun to see in action. It is a straight hall that leads from one of your enterances straight to your sensitive rooms, like the armory or freezer. Fill this hallway with nasty traps. I like having a patch of Satan's Chimneys with motion detectors, but just about anything lethal will do. However, this hallway is sealed off to all your men, so there is no risk of accidental death. Note, this also means that bodies will be left in this hallway, but don't worry. Any prying eyes will just fall victum to the traps and the bodies will rot even faster than if they were in the freezer. Though be careful, it is possible for agents to dodge your traps. Junpei is key here, since he can wind walk instantly and kill any Johnny-come-a-swiftlies that jump past the traps.

EG had a lot of gameplay flaws, but I love the idea too much. Hopefully, EG2 will solve the problems of the original.

Fez

Erudite
Boring and frustrating describes it well for me. The game takes a nosedive fast from the start. There are too many problems with the way the game works, and there is no reason for them, considering they have examples to show how to do it better, DK, et al.

It's a bad game with a few nice set pieces and a bit of eye candy that could have been good. It's not even worth buying on budget label.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I found it pretty lame at first, but then when I started to actually strategize my base building and such, it got alot better. The game is not in my top ten. Hell, it doesn't even qualify for top fifty, really. But it was still a fun game for a couple of playthroughs. Now it's just meh. Still in my game collection though.

xemous

Arcane
I forced my self to play this game (terrible)

Last edited:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The AI was extremely poor, especially with agents walking right into my base and my guards constantly failing to take them out or respond to help calls from workers. As for the science, it was a great idea, but a poor implementation. The scientists would work on something and just leave it lying around without ever completing it.

Fez

Erudite
The alert modes were crap too. They should have just made an updated DK and it'd have been ten times better.

xemous

Arcane
Still waiting for for a new dungeon keeper

Last edited:

Saran

Scholar
Im probably completely wrong here but wasnt Evil Genius made by Demis Hasibas's (i think thats his name) studio?

The same studio that made Republic: The revolution?

MarFish

Liturgist
Saran said:
Im probably completely wrong here but wasnt Evil Genius made by Demis Hasibas's (i think thats his name) studio?

The same studio that made Republic: The revolution?

Yes ... and does anyone see a pattern here? R:TR sucked even more.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
It's comforting to know I'm not the only one. I think it'd be much better of all the neat 'hide your base' stuff was available right from the start. Why I have to wait for that shit I'll never know.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
xemous said:
I heard from a mate that one of the brains behind the project was also a main on DK. Not 100% though.
Yeah, quite a number of them played important roles in the creation of Dungeon Keeper. Sad that EG is poorly executed. Love the art though.

Fez

Erudite
It was chopped back into a horrible mess of minigames, instead of the amazing simulation they originally promised for years.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I told them that they were on crack when they said they were making Republic 2: MMORPG. If they don't know how to debug, balance or implement their desired features into a single player game, what makes them think they can do any better with an MMORPG?

Fez

Erudite
Fucking hell, I didn't know about that one. They are out of their minds. They'd need to rip out and replace half the team before I could believe they could manage that.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
What really bugged me was that even when I did have a nice hotel front up and running, every once in a while a strike team would come in and just kill most of my valets (and upgraded versions) without warning, or the game informing me that I'm under attack. It would have been so much better if a hostile action by an enemy agent would automatically trigger a hostile response from my minions and automated turrets. Besides, aren't the government agents supposed to be the good guys? Then why are they killing my unarmed, non-hostile minions?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom