Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Explain to me the appeal of JRPGs

dacencora

Play Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne (or Strange Journey)

I picked this up and have played a little bit. It’s not really grabbing me, but I’ve only played for a couple hours (just got out of the hospital). One thing I really don’t understand about JRPGs is their obsession with teenage (or younger) protagonists. Teenagers fucking suck and are the most annoying people on the planet. I don’t want to play as one.

I'd play it until our 100% certified noob filter Matador. He should be about 8 hours in I think? Maybe a bit less. He is a little taste of how higher level SMT bossfights go and why people like the combat.
Demifiend is barely a character tho, he is just a walking pile of abilities and demons. Also he shoves bugs into his eyes.

If you're playing on Steam you have to download the Chronicle Pack DLC (free) in order to see the Matador. Otherwise you'll get to Ikebukuro wondering what people are talking about lol.

dacencora

Play Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne (or Strange Journey)

I picked this up and have played a little bit. It’s not really grabbing me, but I’ve only played for a couple hours (just got out of the hospital). One thing I really don’t understand about JRPGs is their obsession with teenage (or younger) protagonists. Teenagers fucking suck and are the most annoying people on the planet. I don’t want to play as one.
That would be one of the only drawbacks to the genre for me. I would like to see more variety in the age of protagonists in JRPGs for the same reasons that you mention.

SMT: Strange Journey Redux has you playing a soldier, probably still only 18-20 or so, but at least not in high school. SMT IV similarly has you playing a "soldier" at that age.

I can't think of many others where you play an older person, but I am still pretty new to the genre overall.
Forgot the most obvious choice: Yakuza: Like A Dragon! The protagonist is 40. The other Yakuzas feature the same character over time and he's in his mid-20s? Maybe? But Like A Dragon is the only TB RPG one so far. The others are brawlers.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
. One thing I really don’t understand about JRPGs is their obsession with teenage (or younger) protagonists
If I say anything, the weeaboos will get angry.
One thing I really don’t understand about CRPGs is their obsession with adult (or older) protagonists. Adults fucking suck and are the most boring people on the planet. I don’t want to play as one.

Codex Year of the Donut
. One thing I really don’t understand about JRPGs is their obsession with teenage (or younger) protagonists
One thing I really don’t understand about CRPGs is their obsession with adult (or older) protagonists. Adults fucking suck and are the most boring people on the planet. I don’t want to play as one.
Could it be that the people who play cRPGs are attracted to adults?

hmm, if we extrapolate this to JRPGs....
oh no!

dacencora

oh no!
Do you play RPGs for characters that you would like to bang?

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

oh no!
i do when there are furries

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

oh no!

He plays Larian games...
MRTR06F.jpg

dacencora

oh no!

He plays Larian games...
MRTR06F.jpg
Don't get me wrong, Shadowheart is kind of a qt, but I'm sure that Larian will fuck up her character development along the way. Also she has the dumbest name of all time.

Deflowerer

Arcane

oh no!

More like are you attracted to attractive people vs hideous lards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom