Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Extra Punctuation: Molyneux's Unfocused Innovation

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I like Yahtzee's 'reviews' most of the time. He's certainly preferable to journalists who have pretty much nothing bad to say about AAA titles, except maybe a token complaint or two. It's important to realize, though, that Yahtzee isn't trying to give unbias reviews, he's merely giving his opinion; that's why he tends to be harder on games in genres he doesn't like.

His style of humor obviously isn't for everyone, but his opinions do prove to be insightful on occasion even if I often disagree with his conclusions or analysis. For me, at least, ZP continues to be worth watching from week to week.

As for this article, on the other hand, he couldn't be more wrong.

Having never met Molyneux, I can't say this for certain, but it seems to me like he doesn't actually know how to make games. Sort of like how George Lucas lucked his way into making an increadibly successful film franchise, Molyneux managed to develop a few good games. The technical limitations of the time probably kept him from straying too far from the basics, but now that he has access to millions of dollars and hundreds of developers, and he can basically do whatever he wants, he continues to turn out shit.

The problem that seems to have infected Molyneux is the same problem that seems to have cropped up with many modern developers - they continue to put things like graphics, story, "emotional connection", and making the player feel cool above gameplay, when gameplay is practically by definition the most important part of a game. We can get emotional connections and stories out of other media. What makes games unique is their ability to let the audience directly interact with them, and developers should take advantage of that. Instead you have some games where the interactivity might as well be fucking optional since most of the story is told through cutscenes that the player has no control over, and in most others there's only a single choice that leads to a good/evil ending, which really isn't much better.

Yahtzee's point about the lack of memorable developers in recent times is dubious as well. What do video game 'celebrities' have to do with gaming being artistically bankrupt? I fail to see the connection. To me, it seems such figures often try to make 'artistic' games but fail to produce anything memorable (Tabula Rasa or Too Human, anyone?). What celebrity worked on Shadow of the Colossus?

I don't really know where to go with this rant, or how to wrap it up, so I'm just going to abruptly stop here.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Eh, yahtzees reviews aren't worth crap as reviews. It's just entertainment for me. I saw his review for the newest Monster Hunter game and he was basically whining about the first tutorial stage that takes 5 minutes. That was what the entire review was about, how he found it dull wandering around the entire level for half an hour ignoring his objective and never fighting anything but babies. Then he tried to cover his ass in the follow up article saying he did actually play to like, the second mission. (I've also noticed he's fucking useless at any sort of action game that isn't a FPS and everything that isn't mario is too difficult) So he spent a total of maybe 2 hours playing the game and decided to piss and moan about the introduction rather than playing further and seeing even 1/10th of the monsters.

He at least pisses on games colourfully though. But if he can't be assed to actually play the game he's reviewing and then hides that fact, there's no point in trusting anything he has to say about it.

I'm inclined to agree with Xor too. Celebrity names generally don't mean much. If the exact same team gets together to make a second game in the image of the first, they can probably do the job you'd expect of them. But one guy? He won't understand half the shit that made the things he was a part of special. The most you can hope for is the game having a particular style, but no more so than anyone else competent trying to ape the same game can do.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Meh, I wrote plenty of posts on gaming turning from a geek hobby for geeks by geeks into a full fledged entertainment industry and all the good and bad things that go with it. Face it, think about the top 40 and the music industry and then apply this to games and you realise why we can't have any good things any more.

And all the morons claiming Molyneux doesn't know how to make games weren't around in the 80's and 90's. Fucking newfags.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
DamnedRegistrations said:
Eh, yahtzees reviews aren't worth crap as reviews. It's just entertainment for me.

This is it in a nutshell. 'Reviewing' is more about entertainment now than it is actually evaluating the games themselves.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Trash said:
And all the morons claiming Molyneux doesn't know how to make games weren't around in the 80's and 90's. Fucking newfags.
Glad that somebody said that out loud. The last games of Molyneux were pretty generic, but the classics he and Bullfrog made in the past are great games, and Molyneux didn't make those by "accident". He had a big part in designing those games.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'll say it again. If Molyneux is so good at making games, why is it that when he's basically given all the resources he could ever want he keeps turning out shit?

I played Populous. It was a pretty fun game, yeah, but it doesn't give Molyneux a pass for Fable or all the stupid, stupid shit he's said in recent years.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Xor said:
I played Populous. It was a pretty fun game, yeah, but it doesn't give Molyneux a pass for Fable or all the stupid, stupid shit he's said in recent years.

I agree with that.

Xor said:
I'll say it again. If Molyneux is so good at making games, why is it that when he's basically given all the resources he could ever want he keeps turning out shit?
Well it's not like Molyneux is the only one who screws up. The whole game industry is like that. Look at Bioware, Bethesda and the like. With the resources they have, they should make really, really good RPGs. Molyneux makes games like Fable because he, and the company wants to appeal to the lowest common denominator. They want to sell millions of copies, so they dumb the game down, to appeal to the widest audiance.

The problem IMO is that these big companies are terribly money driven. Imagine that Molyneux enters a meeting and tells the representatives of the publisher that he wants to make a really good, bit of an oldschool game, let's say the new Syndicate. It won't be dumbed down, it will be hardcore like shit, but it will be great. And then the publisher asks that how much money will the company make on this project? Molyneux says, that the game will only sell a few 100 thousand, and won't be a big hit financially. And then the publisher laughs at Molyneux, and sends him back to make Fable 4.

What I'm trying to say is that while Molyneux is at fault for making mediocre game, but he is also pressured by a huge company.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Xor said:

Warren_Spector_E3.jpeg

* Wing Commander (1990), ORIGIN Systems
* Wing Commander: The Secret Missions (1990), ORIGIN Systems
* Ultima VI: The False Prophet (1990), ORIGIN Systems
* Bad Blood (1990), ORIGIN Systems
* Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi (1991), ORIGIN Systems
* Wing Commander: The Secret Missions 2 - Crusade (1991), ORIGIN Systems
* Ultima: Worlds of Adventure 2: Martian Dreams (1991), ORIGIN Systems
* Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (1992), ORIGIN Systems
* Shadowcaster (1993), ORIGIN Systems (Uncredited)[9]
* Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds (1993), ORIGIN Systems
* Wing Commander: Privateer - Righteous Fire (1993), ORIGIN Systems
* Ultima VII, Part Two: Serpent Isle (1993), ORIGIN Systems
* Ultima VII, Part Two: The Silver Seed (1993), Electronic Arts
* Wings of Glory (1993), Electronic Arts
* System Shock (1994), Looking Glass Technologies
* CyberMage: Darklight Awakening (1995), ORIGIN Systems
* Crusader: No Remorse (1995), ORIGIN Systems
* Thief: The Dark Project (1998), Looking Glass Studios
* Deus Ex (2000), Ion Storm Austin
* Deus Ex: Invisible War (2003), Ion Storm Austin
* Thief: Deadly Shadows (2004), Ion Storm Austin
* Epic Mickey (2010), Disney Interactive Studios (WTF?!?!?!)

Multi-headed Cow

Quilty said:
Everything I've ever read or listened to on the escapist has been utter shit. They even put up these videos (extra credits?) that "discuss" painfully obvious stuff in a language they think is so incredibly highbrow, it's just sad. I still visit the site now and then to drool over Lisa's boobs.
That guy was another Youtube person Escapist scooped up like Yahtzee. I know this because I saw one of his stupid videos because it was linked I belieeeeeeeve on the Codex somewhere. That was presumably the guy's objective though because if I remember right he had his name plastered all over the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jdG2LHair0

Don't remember if that was the one linked or not, but there you go.

Morkar Left

This guys are old. They just do their job and enjoy live. You can't expect them to enjoy making innovative videogames for 20+ years now.
And not every game can be a masterpiece. Usually someone makes one, maybe two to three outstanding crafts of art and lives from it. The rest is just an ordinary job. Pretty common for arts and entertainment. Nothing wrong with it. Remember their good games and what they have brought to us but accept that their golden days are gone.

Drakron

Arcane
Xor said:

Someone used George Lucas a example and it fits, if you look at the prequels you see that from a concept POV they are as good as the OT but people complain about it.

Lucas was hold up by other people in the OT, that made those movies balanced as with the prequels nobody could tell him anything because he was George Lucas and it was Star Wars.

Giving someone a ton of money does not mean the end result will be good, even the that person is talented in the field.

Xor

Arcane
Metro said:

Warren Spector has his name on some of the best games ever, though, so I can forgive him for one shitty game. When he starts turning out increasingly shitty sequels and talking about how people have emotional connections to cardboard cutout NPCs then I'll start ridiculing him as well.

If what I hear is true much of the problems with Epic Mickey have to do with creative interference from Disney, anyway, but everything I've heard about Molyneux basically says he's pretty much doing exactly what he wants in his games.

Jokerman89

Novice
Yahtzee is badass, love his videos and agreed with most of what he says.

Molyneux does try to make great games, i didnt really mind Fable 3, average....not terrible.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sceptic said:
reviewing games from a genre you don't like then claiming they're shit games because they belong to that genre is the worst possible thing you can do as game journalist.

This much is completely true at least. I actually send him an e-mail about it at some point, because it disappointed me when he was otherwise the first modern game journalist I've liked :oops:

I still consider him a tiny beacon of light in world of game journalism as dark as Clockwork Knight's rat-infested anus though. He's not bad, and in the world of game journalism, that makes him one of the best.

Sad but true.

Multi-headed Cow said:
Quilty said:
Everything I've ever read or listened to on the escapist has been utter shit. They even put up these videos (extra credits?) that "discuss" painfully obvious stuff in a language they think is so incredibly highbrow, it's just sad. I still visit the site now and then to drool over Lisa's boobs.
That guy was another Youtube person Escapist scooped up like Yahtzee. I know this because I saw one of his stupid videos because it was linked I belieeeeeeeve on the Codex somewhere. That was presumably the guy's objective though because if I remember right he had his name plastered all over the video.

I've linked to his videos from time to time for great justice and lulz... If you want a laugh, the best one to see is the one how he talks about Missile Commander being the dawn of fantastic narrativism in gaming.

waywardOne

Arcane
Gragt said:
I'm ok if crap comes out, and even a lot of it. It's a problem if we come to a point where only crap comes out.

are we not there? every game i've installed in the last three years has been uninstalled while i have 5+ games 8 years or older with shortcuts still on my desktop.

aron searle

Arcane
?? Ooooh, we've got this notion ?? ?? That we'd quite like to sail the ocean ?? ?? So we're buildin' a big boat to leave here for good. ?? ?? We're not keen on sinkin' ?? ?? So we're all sittin' here a thinkin' ?? ?? Cos we built it too big and we've run out of wood. ?? ?? eidle eidle eee ?? ?? eidle eidle eee ?? ?? we simply can't leave til we get some more wood. ?? ?? Oooh, we're not keen on sinkin' ?? ?? so that's why we're sittin' thinkin' ?? ?? cos we simply can't leave til we get some more wood. ?? ?? Ooooh, the boat is now finished ?? ?? But there's still somethin' on the wish-list ?? ?? To keep us all goin' through the wind and the rain. ?? ?? There's no food on the table ?? ?? And we can't sail unless we're able ?? ?? So we ain't goin' nowhere 'til we get some grain. ?? ?? eidle eidle eee ?? ?? eidle eidle eee ?? ?? we simply can't leave until we get some grain. ?? ?? Therrrre's no food on the table ?? ?? And we can't sail unless we're able ?? ?? So we ain't goin' nowhere 'til we get some grain. ?? ?? Ooooh, We're not complainin' ?? ?? but there's still one more thing remaining ?? ?? Cos bread is quite borin' if that's all you eat. ?? ?? We need some flavour ?? ?? So do us all a little favour ?? ?? Cos, we ain't goin' nowhere 'til we get some meat. ?? ?? eidle eidle eee ?? ?? eidle eidle eee ?? ?? we simply can't leave until we've got some meat. ?? ?? Sooooo, Do us a favour ?? ?? find somethin' with a little flavour ?? ?? Cos we're goin' nowhere 'til we've got some meat. ??

Zomg

Arbiter
It was a marketing decision by EA/Trip Hawkins to make guys like Sid Meier into brand names that they would put on the packaging, the publishers could make whatever AAA jerkoff into a brand name now if they cared to.

I must have missed the part where Yahtzee became a part of "gaming journalism". When did this happen? He was always an internet comedian who makes jokes about video games. Yet you guys talk of him as a reviewer. I cannot into this.

Xor

Arcane
aron searle said:
?? Ooooh, we've got this notion ?? ?? That we'd quite like to sail the ocean ?? ?? So we're buildin' a big boat to leave here for good. ?? ?? We're not keen on sinkin' ?? ?? So we're all sittin' here a thinkin' ?? ?? Cos we built it too big and we've run out of wood. ?? ?? eidle eidle eee ?? ?? eidle eidle eee ?? ?? we simply can't leave til we get some more wood. ?? ?? Oooh, we're not keen on sinkin' ?? ?? so that's why we're sittin' thinkin' ?? ?? cos we simply can't leave til we get some more wood. ?? ?? Ooooh, the boat is now finished ?? ?? But there's still somethin' on the wish-list ?? ?? To keep us all goin' through the wind and the rain. ?? ?? There's no food on the table ?? ?? And we can't sail unless we're able ?? ?? So we ain't goin' nowhere 'til we get some grain. ?? ?? eidle eidle eee ?? ?? eidle eidle eee ?? ?? we simply can't leave until we get some grain. ?? ?? Therrrre's no food on the table ?? ?? And we can't sail unless we're able ?? ?? So we ain't goin' nowhere 'til we get some grain. ?? ?? Ooooh, We're not complainin' ?? ?? but there's still one more thing remaining ?? ?? Cos bread is quite borin' if that's all you eat. ?? ?? We need some flavour ?? ?? So do us all a little favour ?? ?? Cos, we ain't goin' nowhere 'til we get some meat. ?? ?? eidle eidle eee ?? ?? eidle eidle eee ?? ?? we simply can't leave until we've got some meat. ?? ?? Sooooo, Do us a favour ?? ?? find somethin' with a little flavour ?? ?? Cos we're goin' nowhere 'til we've got some meat. ??

This is the exact reason I stopped playing Black & White.

Multidirectional said:
I must have missed the part where Yahtzee became a part of "gaming journalism". When did this happen? He was always an internet comedian who makes jokes about video games. Yet you guys talk of him as a reviewer. I cannot into this.

I think the people who take him seriously usually end up hating him. He's not giving unbias reviews of these games, he's merely stating what he likes and dislikes. His tastes vary widely from mine, and I like getting an outsider perspective on different games and genres.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Multidirectional said:
Truth. :thumbsup:

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Morkar said:
It isn't the problem that this options are in the game. Even if it has no real impact on the gameplay. The problem is that the rest of the game is shit. Laughable gameplay-mechanics borrowed from arcadegames but badly designed, no thinking, no planning, no skill needed, not even linear questdesign but linear levels (levels!!!!) instead of a world to explore... It's just boring.

Thats it. If the game actually took some skill then it might make sense to waste time buttering up your wife or doing anything that leads to money or gifts especially if there was some actual depth to it.

It is nice to see that sells have fallen. http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php ... sort=Total

chiefnewo

Liturgist
Grunker said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
Quilty said:

I've linked to his videos from time to time for great justice and lulz... If you want a laugh, the best one to see is the one how he talks about Missile Commander being the dawn of fantastic narrativism in gaming.

Man, fuck that Extra Credits shit. I watched a bunch of their videos and it all comes across as pretentious fools trying to make their work seem more important than it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom