Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fable

The left ball

Novice
My girlie gave me it. She knows I like teh RPGs.

Ebay? Or worth a few nights, because 1. I do it, for lovez… 2. Despite how they mock, there’s a good game here!, 3. Her rectum really is that tight.

spiwak

Novice

As long as you didn't follow the hype train, you'll probably enjoy it for what it is.

Play it for what it is: A little piece of Action RPG entertainment that allows you to fool around being cartoon evil without trying to look philosophical about it, and you'll probably enjoy it for a while. Most of the fun will not come from the story and the like, but from the little things you can go around doing just for the sake of fooling around - Finding creative ways to lure the storekeepers out of the only "invulnerable" city around so you can kill them in the wilderness and then add their properties to the growing real state empire you amased after slaughtering most of the kingdom outside; finding ways to make the girls fall in love with you when you now look more or less like a walking, rotting demon carcass so you can take them for a walk to the swamp and sacrifice them in the altar to the dark gods; finding ways to exploit the "Learn by doing" system using the only city where you are unarmed and where most citizens are invulnerable to get a shitload of XP... shit like that. Then when you get bored with fooling around just drop it and forget all things related: Much more of a time waster than a hardcore game.

So do it because: 2, since you may have some fun with it during a slow rainy evening. 1, since it is the least you can do when the game was given to you as a gift by your girl. And... well... if you do it because of 3 you are a moron who should be dragged into the street, raped with white-hot meathooks, have his arms and legs slowly broken by means of large wooden wheels, his body flayed and then covered in salt, and then be left for the birds and dogs to torn up and eat alive.

Inziladun

Magister
The game really isn't that bad, at least if you didn't have to blow 50$ on it. It's a short little action game that managed to keep my attention during the short 10 hours it lasted. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Did you manage to get the Lost Chapters? Never played it, but I imagine it makes the game a little better as I remember some cut content that I actually kind of wanted to get my hands on during my play through. (How they can cut content in a game so small in scale is beyond me, however. Or maybe it was because they spent so much time trying to make the trees grow.)

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
PC version already has Lost Chapters by default. The Darkwood Bordello is certainly one of the funniest places in the game.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Its about as light as RPG's get, but short of being fairly average and restrictive its nothing too offensive. Its short too, so I'd give it at least a go.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played that thing after I read a lot about it on forums [it was heavily bashed on the Elder Scrolls forums back when it came out; I still wonder how those people could bash Fable but later praise Oblivion] and started it with really low expectations, for almost everyone seemed to say it sucks. So, basically, I was pleasantly surprised. It's not a deep RPG at all, not even close to things like Fallout, but it's just a shitload of fun. You can have tons of fun customizing your character, walking around doing silly things, "talking" to NPCs by emoticons... one of the most fun games I've played, in a very light-hearted and simple way. If you play it for the lulz, it's awesome, just don't expect it to be anything deep.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Role-Player in an unpublished Fable review said:
Fable is just a truncated action adventure title which is barely average and remains largely bereft of any roleplaying elements. Nothing it sets out to do is actually revolutionary. The take on good and evil is a gimmick that Knights of the Old Republic actually managed to handle better by providing more solid moral choices and consequences, the customization options aren't much better than what was seen in games like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, and the ability to influence NPCs isn't particularly novel when compared to the likes of The Sims. Credit where credit is due, this may very well be one of the first role-playing games that attempts to combine all of these features - but that doesn't make it necessarily a good one, specially when all of these elements fail to succeed at actually improving role-playing. All it does is drown out players with choices that are ultimately irrelevant to the character's development or only help muddle it. "For every choice, a consequence" may be a nice tagline, but here it simpy isn't true to any serious or well designed degree.

In fact, by adding more things to do in the world of Albion, The Lost Chapters actually makes the lack of balance more glaring. Whereas Fable's short length didn't allow many characters to invest in nearly all of the Attributes by simply playing through the main story arc, the expanded version includes quests which reward lots of experience and locations with even more powerful items. By the end of three playthroughs in Fable, all of my characters were incredibly similar because I had an ample amount of experience to spread across nearly all the Attribute sub-categories that even if I started focusing on different Attributes at the beginning of each game to create different archetypes, I'd still have a large amount of experience that would spill into the other sub-categories. And unless I went out of my way to gimp characters they'd all pretty much have the same powerful equipment open to them. The game's weaknesses become more apparent and the less stellar aspects are that much more pronounced, while most extra content ranges from boring to really questionable. I'm not sure how Pimp Hats, customizing tattoos and a brothel really improve my gaming experience, nor why I should try getting the Hero to crossdress to work as a prostitute.

All in all, there's not much I can recommend in Fable. Even forgetting it falls short of nearly all promises made there's not much here that stands on its own. The combat is easy to get into but doesn't provide much of a challenge, there's barely anything to explore due to the gameworld's limitations, and the quests are often just an unrelated set of challenges that range from the pointless to the unavoidable. Lionhead tried to do many things, that's great - but that's also pretty much where it ends. I'd rather have a game with traditional gameplay that works and is fun than a game that shoots into all directions and fails to deliver anything worth playing. The novelty wears off a couple of hours into the game and never quite manages to surprise or entice you after that. At times it can be a barely decent action adventure game but it never becomes a good or even fun roleplaying game, and that's all that matters.

Murk

Arcane
i rather liked its cartoony graphics, and that i was older than my mom

Nedrah

Erudite
Turns out I can't actually play the game. Just crashes after the intro videos. Supposedly that has something to do with my soundblaster card, but updating the drivers did nothing and I don't have another soundcard. That's on Winxp pro sp3, core2duo cpu, nvidia 8800gt card. Any ideas what else I could try?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nedrah said:
Turns out I can't actually play the game. Just crashes after the intro videos. Supposedly that has something to do with my soundblaster card, but updating the drivers did nothing and I don't have another soundcard. That's on Winxp pro sp3, core2duo cpu, nvidia 8800gt card. Any ideas what else I could try?

Do you have an onboard-soundcard you can use on the mainboard; or do you really mean you have no other? Also, Windows Blinds makes the thing crash.

Did you read this whole thread yet? http://www.mgforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41480

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I agree with what most are saying: it's a fun short arpg with a nice sense of humor. Just don't expect any deep role playing and such and you'll enjoy the game.

It also has a pretty good art style and a well done orchestral soundtrack. There's no Tolkien-ish bullshit in the game either so that's a plus.

Most quests, while often combat heavy, are still fun, such as the one where you have to help some merchants through a haunted forest; their funny dialog is always nice to listen too. There also some quests that have two sides for you to choose. There's one that comes to mind where you can either choose to protect a farm from a bandit raid, or you can instead help the bandits raid the place.

Nedrah

Erudite
Jasede said:
Nedrah said:

Do you have an onboard-soundcard you can use on the mainboard; or do you really mean you have no other? Also, Windows Blinds makes the thing crash.

Did you read this whole thread yet? http://www.mgforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41480

That thread was where I got the soundblaster information. My mainboard does indeed have an integrated soundcard, but unfortunately it seems to bei either broken or simply crap. I can't use it, distorts my sound. Any other ideas? Maybe some directx settings, compatibility stuff or anything like that? It almost seems as though the game's plain simply incompatible with soundblaster (and audigy, it seems) cards, which is a pretty huge fuck up if you ask me.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Just a guess; turn off hardware sound acceleration manually.

Nedrah

Erudite
Nope, doesn't work. The real kicker is, it worked flawlessly right after I installed it. I exited the game to do some other crap and ever since it has been crashing on me.

Murk

Arcane
what blows my mind is how no one has said anythign about this being the dude's first post

or did i just break some unspoken rule?

oh gawd

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
@ Nedrah

Maybe you could try a torrented version just to see if it suffers from the same problem? If it doesn't then chances are the problem is with your copy of the game, not your comp.

Nedrah

Erudite
I'm quite sure that none of this is going to help all that much. If I end up having similar problems with other games, I might invest in some cheap non-creative soundcard, but somehow I doubt it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom