Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Factorio - a factory building game

Caim

Arcane
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-395

Changes to how trains work. They'll now also tell you if they don't have a path or have nothing to do with an icon over the locomotive instead of a text prompt.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm a bit upset that there's so many good improvements in 2.0, no way will I get motivated to finish my space exploration game now.

Ironmonk

Augur
I still think they should have adapted LTN into vanilla, all these changes to the train systems look way more complicated than LTN and at the same time poorer.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
LTN creates congestion with its depot stations all trains can use. You can now allocate trains on each output station to identically-named input stations and it's going to work without additional mods.

Caim

Arcane
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-398
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-399

Fulgora, an alien trash heap that you can recycle into a variety of useful materials. But because it's a lightning-swept death world you'll want to build some of the new lightning conductors and their upgraded versions so that you harness the lightning to turn into electricity. Also a new electromagnetic plant that can make a variety of materials both old and new.

Byproduct trash that will clog your factory if you let one of them get out of balance?
Random environmental damage that you need to protect in a silly circle otherwise it'll randomly over the span of a year explode?

It's Earendel made content alright, but I'm going to hold my judgements until I actually play around with it/more is revealed despite the mental trauma of SE "recycling" (landfill into a box simulator).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's Earendel made content alright, but I'm going to hold my judgements until I actually play around with it/more is revealed despite the mental trauma of SE "recycling" (landfill into a box simulator).
Byproducts can be interesting, but I agree that SE relies too much on sand/stone that you just turn into landfill and put in a box because it's not worth taking proper care of.

Caim

Arcane
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-402

kovarex said:
It might be useful sometimes, to send circuit signals over long distances. I personally never used it for anything, but when we were playtesting a while ago, Boskid insisted that we include circuit wires into our rail blueprints, because you never know when it might be useful.

I felt uneasy about it, because it goes against the coding principle of "write it when you need it", as it adds a bloat for something which might not even be useful later. But I understand, that if it actually becomes needed, it would be way harder to fix later.

To avoid this dilemma, we added a long requested feature of wireless circuit transmission using Radars.

There are a lot of ways to do it, but we wanted to keep it simple. So we decided that there is just a single radar channel for each surface (still separated between red and green). This means, you don't have to configure anything, you just connect the wire and you are ready to go. If the radar loses power the circuit connection is severed.
WIRELESS

SIGNALS

Kruyurk

Learned
Sounds interesting, looking forward to the DLC.

Sent from my iPhone using wireless signals

Hellraiser

Arcane
Next up on the incline menu, being able to push boarded locomotives/wagons flintstone style when out of fuel, remote control train driving and being able to plan/blueprint rail routes via the minimap.

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-403

archer-stop-my-penis-can-only-get-so-erect.gif

Jesus that map rail building is going to be so good

Also can't wait for the "beat factorio railworld without making a locomotive " achievement

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Jesus that map rail building is going to be so good
In a sense, yes obviously. But in another sense, you should be using blueprints for your large scale train construction and the most annoying and time consuming part is waiting for the bots to put everything down. Because the planner won't put down any electricity or rail signals, and rail without that isn't fully constructed anyway.

Hellraiser

Arcane
The new blog post one is about the new soundtrack, the 4 new planets and space will get 1 hour of new music each.

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-406

The Vulcanis music sounds quite majestic.

The Fulgora one roughly what you would expect from an electro-mechanical sciencey theme.

The not revealed yet mysterious planet one they released as a cocktease reminds me of Sim City 4 at first, after the 3 minute mark I think the track seems to be an ice/snow world theme with raging blizzards (freezing would be a nice mechanic).

Kruyurk

Learned
Nauvis: earth
Vulcanis: fire
Fulgora: air
4th planet: water ?

An ice/snow world could work for water.
But an all water planet where you build buoyant platforms and a boats network would be amazing.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Nauvis: earth
Vulcanis: fire
Fulgora: air
4th planet: water ?

An ice/snow world could work for water.
But an all water planet where you build buoyant platforms and a boats network would be amazing.
There are 4 new planets, so they have to still reveal 2.

Large toxic or radioactive world would be my bet for another one, something where it rains acid or other useful stuff. As a bonus they could do large green crystals as a homage to tiberium :obviously:

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
Last edited:
Aquilo is obviously the cold-frozen-water planet and Gleba is the funny mushroom-swamp planet.
As for which the mystery music belongs to is a complete cointoss, it bears the marks of both cheerful freezy atmosphere but also works pleasantly well for a lush full of life swampshite boghole.

Personally don't care too much for the orchestral setpieces, but I heavily enjoyed Fulgoras "electro-magnetism" gimmick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom