Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 2 - It's meant to be good?

eXalted

Arcane
I'm always surprised that the enemies in almost all RPGs are kamikazes. They are one hit from dead (imagine them all in blood and wounds) and still fight fanatically.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, what do you expect? For them to stand stil lso you could conveniently harvest them for exp and loot?

No-one really wants to die, and enemies are no exception.

People are complaining about the weirdest things sometimes.
Don't be stupid, the problem is them running off map edges

YOU don't be stupid.

The game allows the player to do/abuse precisely the same thing: run towards the exit grid - combat is over as you exit the location. Enemies moving offscreen to escape puursuit is basically hte same thing.

Shoot them into balls so they fall or kneecap them so they can't run and problem solved; as Komrade Stalin has said No Kneecaps no Problem! :russia:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Yeah, I noticed that killing them or crippling them solves the problem :roll:, how positively enriching ! But since I somehow fail at killing or crippling with every shot I take (silly me) they still manage to occasionally run to places that make them either untargetable or unlootable. And while I don't mind chasing them across the map, I find this a bit frustrating. It's not a big deal though, notice the use of the word "annoying" in my post, not "aggravating", not "infuriating", not "game breaking", just "annoying".
Now let's all toast on a mildly radiated and warm Nuka Cola and merrily piss on Fallout 3 ! :obviously:

Last edited:
The game allows the player to do/abuse precisely the same thing: run towards the exit grid - combat is over as you exit the location. Enemies moving offscreen to escape puursuit is basically hte same thing.

The problem is that this won't necessarily end combat. Unlike the player who gets teleported to another map, the NPCs are "still there", just offscreen.

Also, you must decide if it's good because it's only realist to run away from harm or if it's good because it's only fair that NPCs have access to the same cheesy tactic that the player can abuse. :M

Last edited:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
ac5Ds8X.jpg

I must admit that this one's a first. :lol:

T. Reich

Arcane

The problem is that this won't necessarily end combat. Unlike the player who gets teleported to another map, the NPCs are "still there", just offscreen.
Also, you must decide if it's good because it's only realist to run away from harm or if it's good because it's only fair that NPCs have access to the same cheesy tactic that the player can abuse. :M

It's a good feature because it's feasible and fair and it looks reasonable given the AI's capacity to retreat when near death.
What's more reasonable - retreating people running around like headless chickens waiting for you to finish them off (still happens in FO1+2 btw), or retreating people heading as far away from you as possible, peferrably into place that you can't reach?

I know that it doesn't automatically end combat usually, but in those cases all it took for the player is to spend 1 turn walking away from where the enemy was and then hitting the "end combat" button.
It's not a hard thing to do for any sensible player.

As an added bonus, if you were willing to wait for a minute or so after combat, these offscreen guys would most of the time wander straight back on the map, and if your initiative was good, you could start combat first and just finish them off and loot them anyway. Just had to keep a bit of distance between them and you.

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
”Lonely Vazdru” said:
My only beef so far is with enemies running low on health and retreating in random directions. When they move to an exit zone or get off screen altogether, it's really fucking annoying.

Enemies run about 20 or 30 hexes away from the player character before they stop fleeing, but not from your henchmen. Besides, your followers have the same ability as the other NPC’s to walk of the map. So, if you manage to keep your distance, your henchmen can finish off fleeing enemies. If they kill the target off the (visible) map, you’ll lose out on the loot, but at least you’ll get the xp.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
”Lonely Vazdru” said:
My only beef so far is with enemies running low on health and retreating in random directions. When they move to an exit zone or get off screen altogether, it's really fucking annoying.

Enemies run about 20 or 30 hexes away from the player character before they stop fleeing, but not from your henchmen. Besides, your followers have the same ability as the other NPC’s to walk of the map. So, if you manage to keep your distance, your henchmen can finish off fleeing enemies. If they kill the target off the (visible) map, you’ll lose out on the loot, but at least you’ll get the xp.

Yeah, enemies just stand still while your buddies smash their faces in as long as you stay out their vision range :lol: Of course you too can shoot fleeing enemies without them moving as long as you do it from far enough distance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom