Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout 3: Aliens - Since Vampires weren't Enough

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
fucking combo-breaking snipe

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I betcha these will just be alien people though and not actual alien people.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
That wanamingo screenshot is actually from a fan-made mod that adds a bunch of old Fallout critters to Fallout 3. It's not from the new DLC.

Seems pretty dumb to me, the crashed alien spaceship from FO was obviously meant as an easter egg type thing.

Pliskin

Arbiter
There are / were at least two mods from about a year back that dealt with the whole alien thing. Probably more by now.

Not that Bethesda ever recieves "inspiration" from fan-made content.

Nope.

That'd never happen...

boger

Novice
Patron
Codex 2012
Mothership Zeta will be full of Khajiits with Wanamingos as their dogs which mutate into Argonians and a new war starts. You try to stop it, but fail and die again.....and a new era begins the TES era :) (known as prelude to TES 5)

Shannow

Waster of Time
Brother None said:
Ausir said:
Isn't it just MCA's retcon from FOB that can be ignored by Beth, though?

Possibly, though I doubt they intend to use Wanamingos as aliens. They aliens appear to be the standard bigheads. Maybe the Wanamingos are their dogs.
Their dogs? They brought their pets with them? From outer space? One might even say they're "alien" life forms... [EDIT] Or was your "they" aimed at Bethesda? Then I take it all back ;) [/EDIT]

Maybe I'm just not nerdy/fanboyish enough, but if a game calls the creature an alien it's an alien. No matter how much retconning goes on outside the game.

And would someone explain to me what is basically wrong with swamps and aliens? I don't get it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Swamps that Beth can only describe as "well here is another territory, where we will throw in some random quests and npcs" which kinda shows that they already stopped even coming up with retarded shit and went for a pure distilled filler.

Aliens? What's wrong?
Well nothing - it's a new Fallout shooter where you will be running around the alien ship, blowing up hordes of aliens to bits with some moron-designed alien weapons and of course there will be some anal probe jokes because dark humour is all Fallout is about.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
MetalCraze said:
Aliens? What's wrong?
Well nothing - it's a new Fallout shooter where you will be running around the alien ship, blowing up hordes of aliens to bits with some moron-designed alien weapons and of course there will be some anal probe jokes because dark humour is all Fallout is about.

SURE SOUNDS LIKE LOTSA QUALITY TIME COMIN' RIGHT UP!!! :D:D:D:D:D

The truth is out there. B)

fix

IW2B_Mousepad_TRXF1004_lg.jpg

Luzur

Good Sir
in the next DLC Godzilla is awakened beneth the Pentagon by BOS excavations and then you will be forced to team up with the ghouls and a rebuilt Liberty Prime and fight him and the Enclave and a Super Duper Mutant Colossus with a big dick to save your supposedly dead mother which will sacrifice her life for her Projekt "Exscrement Purity" or something.

Big explosions, nukes will fly, lots of guts and blood.

Tails

Arbiter
Aliens? anal probe? escape from Spaceship? It seems Todd played Prey recently... I won't be surprised if they use aliens similar to that one player could find on wastelands.

falloutraped.gif

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Shannow said:
Maybe I'm just not nerdy/fanboyish enough, but if a game calls the creature an alien it's an alien. No matter how much retconning goes on outside the game.

Centaurs are called centaurs but they're just mutants. Same for floaters, though I'm not sure what the heck kind of animals they're supposed to be (some kind of worm?). That shows a predilection to name mutations simply by what they kind of sort of resemble. Centaurs aren't literally centaurs, but they have animal-like bodies and human-like heads. Equally, why would you assume that just because the name is alien (or variably wanamingo), it's an actual alien? The game never claims they come from out of space, there's not even one hint to say as much, it's just what they're called.

Sure it's a retcon, but it's hardly a stretch.

Shannow

Waster of Time
@BN: You mean they resemble aliens? Like the ones that crashed in the ship(s) you find? So they are mutants that resemble aliens that you never see but know exist somewhere because of the spaceships?
Sorry, I don't follow your logic. If you want them to be mutants because it says so in the FO bible (or wherever) good for you. For me they stay aliens because they are called aliens in the game.

And I still don't get what is basically wrong with swamps and aliens. All skyway described was how he thinks Beth will implement it. Not only is that conjecture it also doesn't explain what is wrong with the very concept of swamps and aliens. It only explains that you (all?) don't trust Beth to do it well.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
For me they stay aliens because they are called aliens in the game.

Sorry, I don't follow your logic.

By YOUR logic, centaurs are also centaurs as BN already said.

It only explains that you (all?) don't trust Beth to do it well.

One must be an imbecile to trust Bethesda are capable of anything good.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I think they called them aliens because they kinda look like the alien from Alien.

There's a "zombie" enemy somewhere in Fallout 1 or 2 as well, I don't remember where.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Shannow said:
@BN: You mean they resemble aliens? Like the ones that crashed in the ship(s) you find?

No, the aliens on the crashed ships look like prototypical bigheads, not like the xenomorph-esque Wanamingos.

I'm just saying that just the name "alien" isn't enough to actually tag them as having come from outer space when you consider Fallout's tradition of naming mutated animals. There is no real ingame canon to determine where wanamingos are from.

Shannow said:
And I still don't get what is basically wrong with swamps and aliens. All skyway described was how he thinks Beth will implement it. Not only is that conjecture it also doesn't explain what is wrong with the very concept of swamps and aliens.

Fallout is a post-apocalyptic retro-futuristic setting, set in the nuclear ruins of the world after.

A swamp doesn't fit because that's a "humanity is gone" idea. It's ok I guess, but it's kind of jarringly different from what we're used to. It's not the same kind of post-apocalyptic idea, not remotely.

An entire adventure on an alien spaceship is pure Sci Fi. Different setting, hello?

Shannow

Waster of Time
FeelTheRads said:
For me they stay aliens because they are called aliens in the game.
By YOUR logic, centaurs are also centaurs as BN already said.
So what do we have? A paradoxon? Strawman? Or could one assume that aliens are called aliens because they resemble the Alien from the movie (even though I don't see the resemblance), because the denizens of the waste thought they were aliens and called them thus or because they are actual aliens. AFAIK, the answer isn't provided in the game. So each is possible and I go with the one that makes the most sense to me. Super mutant is a super mutant, gecko is a gecko, rat is a rat, mantis is a mantis and alien is an alien.
I'm not the one telling others that is has to be anything. If people want to think it's a midget in a suit I'm perfectly fine with that. But to me it's an alien because the game said so ;)

EDIT:
BrotherNone said:
Fallout is a post-apocalyptic retro-futuristic setting, set in the nuclear ruins of the world after.

A swamp doesn't fit because that's a "humanity is gone" idea. It's ok I guess, but it's kind of jarringly different from what we're used to. It's not the same kind of post-apocalyptic idea, not remotely.

An entire adventure on an alien spaceship is pure Sci Fi. Different setting, hello?
Not that I'm actually for those ideas, but as long as FO canon isn't completely shat on or Beth do something that is completely non-sensical (working TVs in the middle of the wastes, etc) I don't see the problem. Just because you want to define the setting narrowly? That's basically something I already coudn't agree with in the FO1 vs FO2 debate, so there's not much sense in arguing...
Still, a swamp seems perfectly fine if it is geografically removed from previous locations. I don't see why there shouldn't be a swamp in Florida with interesting stuff to do, for example. Same goes for aliens. FO already has those, be they wanamingos or not. That might move on into a different setting-genre but I don't see any grievous problem with that, either. Plenty of games mixed fantasy with sci-fi, etc.

User was nabbed fit

The Brazilian Slaughter said:
But since this is Bethesda, everything goes out from the window.

Not only does everything go out the window, but it flies so far out that it smashes through the neighbor's one too.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Jaesun said:
ViolentOpposition said:
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
But since this is Bethesda, everything goes out from the window.

Not only does everything go out the window, but it flies so far out that it smashes through the neighbor's one too.

Neighbor was critically hit by Bethesda for 357 damage and was killed.
:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom