Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 censored for Japan

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
http://kotaku.com/5082637/bethesda-cens ... -for-japan
Developer Bethesda has made changes to the Japanese Fallout 3. The side-quest The Power of the Atom has been changed. Non-playable-character Mr. Burke has been taken out of this side-quest, removing the option of detonating the nuclear bomb. That's not all, the name of a weapon was changed as it was deemed "inappropriate" for Japan. Smart money says the weapon is mini-nuke launcher "Fat Man" for obvious reasons.
lol kinda old i guess but funny

Radisshu

Prophet
I don't think they would've cared that much. Tons of anime and JRPG games are full of mass-destructive explosions.

Balor

Arcane
So, you are allowed planet-shattering, multi-gigaton explosions, but only if they are not nuclear?
How smart and logical.

Mic Turner

Novice
Balor said:
So, you are allowed planet-shattering, multi-gigaton explosions, but only if they are not nuclear?
How smart and logical.

You know, it kind of comes naturally when you found yourself on the business end of the only 2 nuclear bombs actually used.

spectre

Arcane
Bah, sloppy, bethesda should have just changed all references to 'nukular' to some shit like Hyper-Gigawatt-Nonsensium-Powered and it would 'ave been all right.

Gotta love it. Tentacle rape - OK, Explosions - OK, unless something nuclear's involved, then it's a big nono.

You know, it kind of comes naturally when you found yourself on the business end of the only 2 nuclear bombs actually used.
Right, but when you frantically deny that yonder mushroom cloud explosion is really, absolutely not nuclear, and that makes it okay, I guess something somewhere went wrong.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Balor said:
How smart and logical.

They're Japanese.

Balor

Arcane
In fact, it might be purely Bethesda decision.
After all, the action takes place in USA, not in Japan.
I mean, if I was Japanese and "found yourself on the business end of the only 2 nuclear bombs actually used" - I'd be pretty happy to return the favour - if even that was only one bomb.

On the other hand, if I indeed was bombed by "two nuclear bombs" - I'd be pretty much DEAD and would not care about F3 at all.

Balor

Arcane
Kavax said:
Hey, we do censor some of the sex and nudity from the japanese (I actually think that's even more illogical :lol: )
Erm, there WAS sex and nudity to censor in F3? Remind me where that was?

Balor

Arcane
There is no nudity in the game, and the only hooker in the game you can supposedly fuck just goes to sleep when you pay her and you cannot 'interact' with her in any way.

Am I playing Japanese version already?

Worm King

Scholar
Is the concept of the most brutal, savage, genocide causing and war crime conducting nazi empire also inappropriate to them?

Andhaira

Arcane
You have to feel for the nice and hardworking Japenese people though. The Samurai era was brought to an end due to cannons at the hands of colonial people.

After many years the Japenese made many revolutions and focused on building up their own technology to make sure that never happened. Then America dropped 2 atomic bombs on them, shattering that burgeoning military power as well.

No wonder their fascination for technology and mechas. I bet they will invent katana weilding mechas and go on a a world wide rampage some day.

One DOES wonder why they did not send their ninja's to assassinate westernleaders after the atomic bombs.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
AndhairaX said:
One DOES wonder why they did not send their ninja's to assassinate westernleaders after the atomic bombs.
Because all tr00 ninja died trying to stop the bombs.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Balor said:
Kavax said:
Hey, we do censor some of the sex and nudity from the japanese (I actually think that's even more illogical :lol: )
Erm, there WAS sex and nudity to censor in F3? Remind me where that was?

No, see, what Kavas was saying is that Japanese stuff has been censored in the USA. For sex and nudity. And death, even. Some anime were censored so that a lesbian couple was turned into cousins (?) and people being magically killed were instead "sent to another dimension."

Andhaira

Arcane
Lesbian couple was turned into cousins? Uhm, how is that a censor? Does having sex with your same sex cousin somehow make it appropriate for kids?

Or wWas the show being broadcast in West Virginia?

Ebonsword

Arcane
Did Mass Effect get censored in Japan?

If you'll recall, Shepard detonates a nuke to take out Saren's lab on Virmire.

Andhaira

Arcane
@Ebonsword: Use spoliers plz. Not everyone has yet played Mass Effet. You will ruin teh story.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
AndhairaX said:
Lesbian couple was turned into cousins? Uhm, how is that a censor? Does having sex with your same sex cousin somehow make it appropriate for kids?

Oh, the couple was being too touchy-feely and intimate with one another, so the US licenser thought to explain it away with "they're cousins." They forgot to remove any of the... nuances, though, so yeah: what the US kids got was not just lesbians, but incestuous lesbian cousins.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Lesifoere said:
AndhairaX said:

Oh, the couple was being too touchy-feely and intimate with one another, so the US licenser thought to explain it away with "they're cousins." They forgot to remove any of the... nuances, though, so yeah: what the US kids got was not just lesbians, but incestuous lesbian cousins.
Sounds like Codex-approval worthy material.

MetalCraze

Arcane
AndhairaX said:
@Ebonsword: Use spoliers plz. Not everyone has yet played Mass Effet. You will ruin teh story.

Yeah bitch you will make people wonder why Bioware's writing is so dumb that you must detonate a whole nuke just to take out a small base.

As for japanese. I don't know. Judging by their anime they are pretty fucking dumb. I remember there was this anime where a human doctor created a virus that makes human race incapable of reproducing. But then the evil androids who want to destroy humanity come for that virus and doctor refuses to give it to them because she doesn't want it to be used against humans.
This is just... bizarre.

And we are being spammed with this ridiculous shit - see what only two nukes can do to the whole world

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom