Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Fallout 3 is art

Silellak

Cipher
Volourn said:
"Any medium has the potential to be art, and a few games in history have arguably crossed that line."

No.

I know you're just trolling, but I'll play along anyway.

Can novels or movies be art?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
No one has yet reached an indisputable definition of art, so its all up in the air. The closest to an agreed upon definition is "if you say its art, then its art"

note that this definition does not separate between good and bad art.

Angthoron

Arcane
Eh, movies weren't considered art whenever it was they weren't considered art. Now there's art movies, there's non-art movies, and there's French Art Movies!

Also, Fallout 3 is fine art, or, in brief, a fart.

Mareus

Magister
Fallout 3 is shit! Some games are art, but Fallout 3 certainly does not fall under that category.

Risine

Liturgist
Why starting again that discussion about game is Art, with Fallout3 in background, pros vs cons just validate that this game is interesting enough to start such a discussion about it.
Fallout 3 is just another uninteresting game among many uninteresting games, nothing to dissert about.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I know you're just trolling, but I'll play along anyway."

You are an idiot.

Zeros

Novice
Dicksmoker said:
Spectacle said:
No one has yet reached an indisputable definition of art, so its all up in the air. The closest to an agreed upon definition is "if you say its art, then its art"

note that this definition does not separate between good and bad art.

"Art is a selective recreation of reality according to an artist's metaphysical value judgements."

who the fuck wrote that? ayn fucking rand?

art being recreation is so... aristotle.

art is creation!

whatever art is, FO3 is not that.

Worm King

Scholar
Mareus said:
Fallout 3 is shit! Some games are art, but Fallout 3 certainly does not fall under that category.

Weren't you driven out by a Codex mob and promised never to return?

Mareus

Magister
Worm King said:
Mareus said:

Nope, I left by my own. Figured it's better to play games, rather than nag all day about them. But I ve been visiting the site anyway, because it's a good read now and then.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Lothers said:
racofer said:
Like Volly said, games are games, not art. They might contain artistic design to some parts of it and that's about as far as it goes.
You don't call a book art because it has a picture of Monalisa on the front cover while the entire book is all about the adventures of Andyman Messiah running naked on times square screaming how awesome the wind feels on his mangled two headed dick. This is simply not art.

If books aren't art I don't know what is... Maybe music? No, music is just sounds in harmony. What about painting? It's only paint on the wood. So maybe sculpture? How sculpted rock can be an art? Dancing? Nay. So what is an art?

Volourn is the only one who knows but this knoweldge is not for everyone !

Silellak

Cipher
Volourn said:
"I know you're just trolling, but I'll play along anyway."

You are an idiot.

My favorite kind of debate is the one you don't even have to have because your opponent proves your point for you.

Rhalle

Magister

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Worm King said:
Mareus said:

I especially liked the thread where he argued with an Obsidian dev about why NWN2 should have been 2D, and how its graphics were worse than Baldur's Gate.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I think art is something that forces you to re-evaluate your opinions"

You think wrong.

I see a painting of a HOT women, it is art, but it won't make me rethink anything.

ushdugery

Scholar
Creative expression is art saying that the medium dictates whether or not it is creative expression or not is a nonsensical statements putting limits on what you consider to be art and how it should be made defines you as an idiot. Art started off as a practical thing from a ritualistic point of view and as in this modern world producing entertainment for capital is a practical thing saying it is not art because of that is also a stupid statement and no measure of veto.
[EDIT]:The big reason people say computer games aren't art is because of there interactive nature, stating that art is supposed to have a proscribed story to it. Interesting point though this is, the subjective nature and appreciation of art provides an interactive element in a more base personal level even if common themes of the work are obvious, which I think clearly negates this argument too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom