Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 reviewed!

DefJam101

Arcane
Stevee Wonder said:
DefJam101 said:
Stevee Wonder said:
Lesifoere said:
Stevee Wonder said:
Lesifoere said:
Or the concept that some opinions are more informed than others.

And here we have the classic elitist attitude shining through in all its glory. *I* know more about Fallout. *I* get the say so on what makes a Fallout game great. *You* must think like me or you are just a sheeple to the media. Be a sheeple to me instead. I love hypocrisy.

Considering that I know nearly nothing about Fallout (having played neither of the originals), that'd be tricky. But to draw an analogy: there's this hugely popular book with sparkly vampires and emo teenage girls angsting about how they can't fuck each other. A fourteen-year-old girl who has barely read a book before picks this up and squeals about how amazing, how deep, how well-written it is. You will have to excuse me if I dismiss said girl's opinion as worthless.

And if you yourself have never read the same book then your opinion of her opinion is also worthless.

Informed opinion indeed.

Not necessarily. If she didn't go into any detail about the book it could be fairly safe to assume that her opinion is worth jack shit. Even if you read the best book ever your opinion is worthless if you do nothing more than ejaculate on a word document and post it on Amazon. Also the fact that she has "barely read a book before" further weakens her opinion. It's not worthless, but it's not exactly a strong opinion either.

Of course, reading the book is the only way to form an opinion on the novel itself, but we aren't talking about the book, are we? The fact that the book might suck/be amazing doesn't necessarily change the value of her opinion.

So instead of waiting to read the book we sit here and lament the fact that we don't like what someone else thought of the book, skip to the last page and then go all over the place and post it.

That makes a lot of sense.

I'm sorry. Where did I say that?

I did say that, right?

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
Stevee Wonder said:
DefJam101 said:
Stevee Wonder said:
Lesifoere said:
Stevee Wonder said:
Lesifoere said:

And here we have the classic elitist attitude shining through in all its glory. *I* know more about Fallout. *I* get the say so on what makes a Fallout game great. *You* must think like me or you are just a sheeple to the media. Be a sheeple to me instead. I love hypocrisy.

Considering that I know nearly nothing about Fallout (having played neither of the originals), that'd be tricky. But to draw an analogy: there's this hugely popular book with sparkly vampires and emo teenage girls angsting about how they can't fuck each other. A fourteen-year-old girl who has barely read a book before picks this up and squeals about how amazing, how deep, how well-written it is. You will have to excuse me if I dismiss said girl's opinion as worthless.

And if you yourself have never read the same book then your opinion of her opinion is also worthless.

Informed opinion indeed.

Not necessarily. If she didn't go into any detail about the book it could be fairly safe to assume that her opinion is worth jack shit. Even if you read the best book ever your opinion is worthless if you do nothing more than ejaculate on a word document and post it on Amazon. Also the fact that she has "barely read a book before" further weakens her opinion. It's not worthless, but it's not exactly a strong opinion either.

Of course, reading the book is the only way to form an opinion on the novel itself, but we aren't talking about the book, are we? The fact that the book might suck/be amazing doesn't necessarily change the value of her opinion.

So instead of waiting to read the book we sit here and lament the fact that we don't like what someone else thought of the book, skip to the last page and then go all over the place and post it.

You know that we do already have plenty of information about Fallout 3, do you? Enough to form a more or less informed opinion. Enough to form an opinion about the combat system. About the graphics and animations. About the general setting and story. And about absolutely retarded shit like Megaton, a city built in the crater of an unexploded nuclear bomb.

That's quite different from skipping to the last page and then complaining about the whole book.

Oh I'm sorry. Maybe I missed the part where you gave me my opinion. I didn't know I had to think that Megaton was stupid. I didn't know that we were supposed to think that the setting was bad. I didn't know I was supposed to think the story was lame.

Maybe you could point me to the sticky that gives everyone their opinion so I can fit in better.

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
DefJam101 said:
I'm sorry. Where did I say that?

I did say that, right?

That wasn't aimed at you, it was a general response that applies to the actions of a few. They know who they are.

DefJam101

Arcane
This is becoming worse than that FF7 thread.

That wasn't aimed at you, it was a general response that applies to the actions of a few. They know who they are.

Roger that. I'm out of here, anyways.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stevee Wonder said:
JarlFrank said:
Stevee Wonder said:
DefJam101 said:
Stevee Wonder said:
Lesifoere said:
Stevee Wonder said:
Lesifoere said:

Informed opinion indeed.

You know that we do already have plenty of information about Fallout 3, do you? Enough to form a more or less informed opinion. Enough to form an opinion about the combat system. About the graphics and animations. About the general setting and story. And about absolutely retarded shit like Megaton, a city built in the crater of an unexploded nuclear bomb.

That's quite different from skipping to the last page and then complaining about the whole book.

Oh I'm sorry. Maybe I missed the part where you gave me my opinion. I didn't know I had to think that Megaton was stupid. I didn't know that we were supposed to think that the setting was bad. I didn't know I was supposed to think the story was lame.

Maybe you could point me to the sticky that gives everyone their opinion so I can fit in better.

I never said that you should have the same opinion as I or anybody else on this site. I just told you that we have enough information to form an opinion on the game without playing it. And to form an opinion about how this game compares to the previous Fallout games.

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
I never said that you should have the same opinion as I or anybody else on this site. I just told you that we have enough information to form an opinion on the game without playing it. And to form an opinion about how this game compares to the previous Fallout games.

And if someone has the opinion (based on the previously mentioned information) that the game doesn't look bad then what happens? Be honest now. What happens to people who express positivity about the game around here?

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Seboss said:
well, a minority of its member but that does not matter to the outside world - crosses the line like with this (moderately funny) Hines animation, it's one step closer of being blacklisted by the whole industry.

That animation (and the dialogue screens) are the only decent thing to come out of FO3.

Correction, you did have.

You think those people aren't aware of what depths you will stoop to?

Let's see how eager they are to share with you in the future.

It's never bothered them before. And if they're only here to flog their shite like MSFD...

Intelligent discussions = elite these days?

As for posting spoilers on ESF... It's pathetic. It's one thing to argue and present points, it's another to post the equivalent of "dumbledore died lol pwned!" all over their forums. You sure showed them. *rolls eyes.

Ohh look, another VD drive by to tell us how much we all suck.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Stevee Wonder said:
Be honest now. What happens to people who express positivity about the game around here?

I don't know, either. From the sound of it, you think they are lynched, burned alive, or banned. What?

Radisshu

Prophet
Of course, if a person properly motivates why s/he likes/dislikes something, I can't possibly think that's stupid. If the motivation isn't stupid.

For example: I think the idea of Megaton is stupid, because the town is built around the crater of a bomb that hasn't yet exploded.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Stevee Wonder said:
JarlFrank said:

And if someone has the opinion (based on the previously mentioned information) that the game doesn't look bad then what happens? Be honest now. What happens to people who express positivity about the game around here?

Alright, they usually get bashed. But one reason for that might be the fact that most people who like how Fallout 3 looks like behave like stupid fanboys. I don't know about anyone expressing an honest opinion that Fallout 3 is good over here on the Codex, so I can't say anything about what would happen to such a person. But if he's reasonable and doesn't just go like "I LIKE IT BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME" but has actual reasons and arguments for liking it, he'll probably be respected.

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
Alright, they usually get bashed. But one reason for that might be the fact that most people who like how Fallout 3 looks like behave like stupid fanboys. I don't know about anyone expressing an honest opinion that Fallout 3 is good over here on the Codex, so I can't say anything about what would happen to such a person. But if he's reasonable and doesn't just go like "I LIKE IT BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME" but has actual reasons and arguments for liking it, he'll probably be respected.
But it's okay to say 'lulz this game sux' without expressing any reasoning behind it. Why? Because it falls in line with the herd mentality.

Double standards are win.

DefJam101

Arcane
When I made my thread about why I like Mass Effect I didn't get flamed. :?

Actually, the only people who flamed me were Volourn & skyway. R00fles!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Enjoying the thread so far but I wanted to address this: do not mistake elitism for snobbery though it's true that the two often walk hand in hand. Elitism isn't wrong, everyone should strive towards it though not everyone wants to. Snobbery on the other hand is despicable.

Radisshu

Prophet
I wasn't bashed for liking FF7, yet another poster was. I think it had something to do with how we approached the subject differently.

Stevee Wonder said:
JarlFrank said:
But it's okay to say 'lulz this game sux' without expressing any reasoning behind it. Why? Because it falls in line with the herd mentality.

Double standards are win.

You do realise I didn't troll the ESF boards right?

Seboss

Liturgist
I've yet to see anybody really excited about the game here.
But I've seen many people (like myself) stating that they will play the game for what it is and nobody was laughed at.

Now, if you're considering going on a crusade about how great Fallout 3 is going to be, prepare to take some heat in the process.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
DefJam101 said:
When I made my thread about why I like Mass Effect I didn't get flamed. :?

I was going to say some people have said on the Codex that they didn't think Mass Effect was "that bad" and it's not like they were harassed until they quit the forums in tears.

(I've also expressed that I enjoy some anime, which goes against every Codex principle ever. Don't recall any particular bashing, either.)

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Radisshu said:
For example: I think the idea of Megaton is stupid, because the town is built around the crater of a bomb that hasn't yet exploded.
The gameplay video were Howard activates the bomb and nobody notices is even stupider.

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
Seboss said:
But I've seen many people (like myself) stating that they will play the game for what it is and nobody was laughed at.

Now, if you're considering going on a crusade about how great Fallout 3 is going to be, prepare to take some heat in the process.

But why is that?

Why can people go on crusades about how terrible the game is going to be and not expect any flak.. but the minute you do the opposite you need to have a 7 page thesis in hand to justify it.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Stevee Wonder said:
Why can people go on crusades about how terrible the game is going to be and not expect any flak.. but the minute you do the opposite you need to have a 7 page thesis in hand to justify it.
What?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Stevee Wonder said:
Seboss said:

But why is that?

Isn't it obvious? When everyone else has the same opinion as you, you agree with him. That's why people who say Fallout 3 sucks don't get any flak here. Also, there are many obvious enough reasons why some people might not like Fallout 3.

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
WhiskeyWolf said:
Stevee Wonder said:
What?

Do you need smaller words?

It's a simple question. If I had made an alt account and my first post was 'omg i cant believe beth did this to fallout, it looks so bad' people wouldn't even bat an eyelash. No justification needed. It's accepted as fact.

But if I say "man I can't wait for this game, it looks pretty cool" then the reaction would be fierce.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Aye, it's better to be a mindless drooling fanboy then a constructive critc.

Also constructive criticism only gets you so far, there's point where you realize the other party isn't listening to anything you have to say. It's at that precise moment you either snap or just troll the shit out them. The latter is more fun.

Seboss

Liturgist
Stevee Wonder said:
Well, it's all a matter of expectations.
If you go on a pro-Fallout 3 crusade on a board populated by Bioshock fans, I'm pretty sure you'll get a lot of positive feedback.

From the Codexer standpoint, Fallout 3 does not bring anything new, fails at pretty much everything that makes a good RPG or roguelike and desecrate the Fallout setting.
Arguments like the graphics are good, the world is stuffed with cool things to shoot, etc don't really stand here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom