Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Huh? They could have had those things in older Fallout dialogue systems too.

Jaesun: the dog couldn't die in FO3 either. None of the companions could.

New Vegas had less skills than 3, but were used more often and most of the times helped you to do quests differently. In 3 you mostly kill things.
Both games actually have 13 skills. In New Vegas, Big Guns and Small Guns merged into Guns, but Survival was added.

Brofisted, but that isn't quite right. It was big guns and explosives that were merged.

Last edited:
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
My bad. I thought small guns were merged in FO3 first. Been a while since I played that one.

Maldoror

Scholar
No skills and dialogue wheel? It doesn't even hurt anymore.

wdBWQ0v.jpg
OH COME THE FUCK ON! So instead of building on the formula of NV we get Fallout 3's retarded young cousin. How the fuck is it even possible? Why? I understand the idea of lowest common denominator but this?! Was there really a retard who played Fallout 3 and thought that the game was too complex?

well fallout 4 is gonna be the best thing ever made, so if your so pretensus that you can't enjoy it then yeah you cant enjoy anything else either

Gee, that 'DUMBFUCK' wording about your head sure is apt, eh'?

MilesBeyond

Cipher

Which for the record I was actually okay with, given how Big Guns were so bloody useless in FO 1, 2, and 3 that it was basically a trap skill. I mean, I would've preferred them to make Big Guns viable, but I guess merging it into other categories is a decent consolation prize.

Huh? They could have had those things in older Fallout dialogue systems too.

Oh, I don't pretend to understand their decision. Who knows what goes on in the Beth board room.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
It's a game made for children, after all.
It should be an optional feature like in FNV.
I personally prefer immortal companions due to how dumb their AI is (ignoring cover, environmental hazards, falling through textures...), that is, if they bother to make them interesting this time, not the boring packing mules.

Seerix

Arbiter
Speaking of those pictures, I'm curious if you can actually mix and match pieces of power armor. There are only matching pieces shown on the presentation.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Could have sworn they showed a bit of video where you could mix and match various models. Of course, the question is what does that mean gameplay wise? Is it just aesthetics? My guess is probably yes and it doesn't have much of an impact on armor or stats or whatever. Especially since skills are gone.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Toddler said:
"[The dog] does not die, because we realize that's automatic re-load," Howard said. "We like to make the game where the only scenario where you re-load is your own death. So, like a lot of open world games, they'll have it where 'you failed this mission, go ahead and press "A" to redo it.' We don't ever want to do that. So, we've got to handle all failstates and some of those we have to do like, 'Okay, the dog can't die, because you're just going to re-load.'"

Is this the most retarded way ever to handle savescumming? Make everything immortal! :lol:

I'll take Sawyer's overly elaborate and occasionally retarded solutions to handle "degenerate gameplay" over this hamhanded sledgehammer shit any day. I wonder if NPCs no longer turn hostile if you attack them because "you know, we realize that's just automatic re-load".

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Could have sworn they showed a bit of video where you could mix and match various models. Of course, the question is what does that mean gameplay wise? Is it just aesthetics? My guess is probably yes and it doesn't have much of an impact on armor or stats or whatever. Especially since skills are gone.
Watched it now frame by frame, and the stats are different for various types of the same part.
Stats are 3 damage resist types (firearms, energy and probably radiation), weight, hp, stat bonuses.
Also every part has mods - model (seems to influence stats, maybe it is an "item level" or they may vary by functions), material (basically paint), misq (dunno). Helmets can have lamp mods.

Nas92

Augur
I hate companions you can't directly control, so for me the immortal companion isn't an issue, the only reason I would pick them up is to do their quest and to laugh at how many times it's possible for the AI to get themselves killed. I'm assuming they'll do the falling unconscious thing again, if they actually make them invincible then yeah, that's beyond retarded.

Still, this philosophy where you don't reload unless being killed is basically another kind of "no fun allowed" it's what made Skyrim so terrible, and it's what will make Fallout 4 terrible. I don't see Todd Howard and the team ditching this philosophy any time soon.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Toddler said:
"[The dog] does not die, because we realize that's automatic re-load," Howard said. "We like to make the game where the only scenario where you re-load is your own death. So, like a lot of open world games, they'll have it where 'you failed this mission, go ahead and press "A" to redo it.' We don't ever want to do that. So, we've got to handle all failstates and some of those we have to do like, 'Okay, the dog can't die, because you're just going to re-load.'"

Is this the most retarded way ever to handle savescumming? Make everything immortal! :lol:

I'll take Sawyer's overly elaborate and occasionally retarded solutions to handle "degenerate gameplay" over this hamhanded sledgehammer shit any day. I wonder if NPCs no longer turn hostile if you attack them because "you know, we realize that's just automatic re-load".

Companions in FO:NV already worked like this though, except in Hardcore mode

(they did go unconscious)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They could die permanently...in Hardcore mode. Or if you killed them when they were outside your "party". Or in a scripted event like the Van Graffs frying Cass

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom