Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game

barghwata

Savant
The whole wizardry(which by itself is already a lot) is an example. Quest compass? You don't even have a map, nigga. You write it down or get fucked.
Minimalistic quest log? Wizardry, Ultima, Betrayal at Krondor, Darklands among others do not even have a quest journal, you have to write it or you have no idea what you are doing.
Various possibilities of Build? That is a given for games like Wizardry. In fact, any old dungeon crawler, be it turn-based or real-time, rape Fallout on this.
"-The fact that stats induce events." is something that Fallout deserve praises is also something that most people that played Fallout expect from other games(which most of the time is done really badly, like FO3).

And let's not forget about some of Fallout's predecessors like Dark sun and Wasteland.

Duralux for Durabux

The whole wizardry(which by itself is already a lot) is an example. Quest compass? You don't even have a map, nigga. You write it down or get fucked.
Minimalistic quest log? Wizardry, Ultima, Betrayal at Krondor, Darklands among others do not even have a quest journal, you have to write it or you have no idea what you are doing.
Various possibilities of Build? That is a given for games like Wizardry. In fact, any old dungeon crawler, be it turn-based or real-time, rape Fallout on this.
"-The fact that stats induce events." is something that Fallout deserve praises is also something that most people that played Fallout expect from other games(which most of the time is done really badly, like FO3).
Right , I admit I should have changed it to " is one of those games compared to recent games"

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Some Fallout 1 only facts that were retconned later:

- Vaults are just vaults. No experiments or such bullshit. If your Vault has malfunctioned, please send a complain to VaultTec.com
- Ghouls are exclusive to Necropolis. Harold is not a ghoul but a FEV mutant.
- FEV supermutants are exclusive to California.
- .223 pistol is a unique one.
- Deathclaws are rare and elusive beasts. People mostly don't even believe they exist.
- BoS is exclusive to California. No Washington units or other bullshit. BoS was formed by US army renegades from Mariposa Base.
- No tribals. People didn't degenerate so much.
- No real-life weapons.
- Iguana bits are actually made from human meat
- Caps as currency are set up by Hub merchants, so there's no logic in other states using caps too.
- PSI abilities do exist.
- There's no random legions of raiders that appeared out of nowhere: Khans, for example came out of Vault 15. Jackals came from Vault 15 too, but were cut from Fallout 1 - they appear in Van Buren, New Vegas ans Sonora. Vipers were cut and didn't appear anywhere else.
- GECK is mentioned only in manual and it's just an agricultural tool - no laser turrets included.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yo, I heard it's totally impossible to avoid combat in this game if you want to play some kind of brave diplomat.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fallout also almost succumbed to silliness. It was at some point supposed to have a tribe of talking humanoid raccoons (S’Lanter I think they were called). Thankfully that was cut.

I thought it was an interesting bit of trivia back when I learned it.

Duralux for Durabux

Fallout also almost succumbed to silliness. It was at some point supposed to have a tribe of talking humanoid raccoons (S’Lanter I think they were called). Thankfully that was cut.

I thought it was an interesting bit of trivia back when I learned it.
Where did you find that information?

Last edited by a moderator:

Duralux for Durabux

Can the "Black isles studios " tag be removed? It was just Interplay at the time.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Yo, I heard it's totally impossible to avoid combat in this game if you want to play some kind of brave diplomat.
Fallout 1 quests solvable only by combat:

1) Killian/Gizmo situation. One of them should be killed, no compromise.
2) Killing barkeep if siding with Skulz in Junktown.
3) Helping Farmer in Hub. Raiders could only be killed.
4) Rescuing BoS initiate from Hub. Kidnappers could only be killed.
5) Working for Decker/Taking him down, requires some killing.
6) Killing Deathclaws to clear the way to Gun Runners.
7) Blades/Regulators situation, one group should be eliminated.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

you don't need to solve all quests to play through a game

typical user

Arbiter

Lemming42

Arcane

You're right in that all these require combat, but not all require killing. You can technically get through 1, 4 and 5 (if taking Decker down) without actually killing anyone, but you do have to draw their fire at the very least and injure them at most.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom