Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout tectics feels like Redneck Rampage

Surlent

Liturgist
I can't quite catch the post apoc atmosphere in FO:T that was present in the first Fallout.
I mean that great survival atmosphere, the one we all know, when you get thrown from the vault to the mutated and deserted outside world.
Mainly due to the voice acting of the General, it feels more like bunch gunho hillbillies taking control over US.
Does it get better near end game or is it just for the sake of tactical squad combat ?

The countryside seems less mutated, some giant cockroaches, but brahmin have one head ? w3rd
Was this game made by BIS, I don't see their logo in the game ?

Fez

Erudite
It isn't a proper Fallout game, it was made by different developers and the setting was changed. It gets worse towards the end, enjoy it now, as it will peak fairly early on.

Oh, and forget speech skills and concentrate on combat only. This is not a RPG like Fallout and more a sort of Jagged Alliance 2 lite. It isn't too bad if you look at it that way.

Surlent

Liturgist
I started with melee/sneak type character, but got owned by enemy snipers at the start.
Then I went small guns/sneak character and the game has gone much smoother.

I'm now at the second base and haven't seen any dialogue options or use for speach skills.

Fez

Erudite
Don't touch the driving skills either, they are useless in the game too. Stealing can come in handy in a few spots though. Also, there are NO dialogue trees at all, the engine does not allow for it, much to the dismay of the modders. Make sure you can get the best protection you can and either big guns or energy weapons later on. Stealth/melee characters are not as effective as they were in Fallout 1 or 2.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Don't insult Redneck Rampage like that :lol:

Anyway, there is no speech skill. However, charisma is useful, since it effects who you can recruit and your ability to barter.

p.s. The game is garbage. Play Shadow Company instead.

bryce777

Erudite
Yeah, the game is a waste of bits.

If you do play it, keep in mind that eventually small weapons skill becomes useless and big guns becomes mainly useless or you will have a party of useless idiots.

The browning stays useful, but ammo supplies are very limited.

Overall the game had ok points but made me want to tear my eyes out, and even though I got to the last mission I decided not to finish it as a symbolic gesture of disgust.

obediah

Erudite
For me, the worst thing about fallout tactics was the continured de-evolution of fallout humour. FO1 was a great mix of quirky w/ a little bit of racy, and FO2 was more profane/racy but still quirky. FOT, was pretty much just dick and fart joes riddlled with the F-bomb. It's obvious that the developers (or as I'm sure they would say, the producers) didn't get the humour of FO1.

I had forwarrning that it was a tactic-with stats game rather than an rpg (which was dissapointing), that it was a TB/RT hybrid (which was dissapointing), and that I could finally control my party so as to fire on the enemies rather than me or my dog (which was nice). Basically, the game met my lowered expectations.

bryce777

Erudite
obediah said:
For me, the worst thing about fallout tactics was the continured de-evolution of fallout humour. FO1 was a great mix of quirky w/ a little bit of racy, and FO2 was more profane/racy but still quirky. FOT, was pretty much just dick and fart joes riddlled with the F-bomb. It's obvious that the developers (or as I'm sure they would say, the producers) didn't get the humour of FO1.

I had forwarrning that it was a tactic-with stats game rather than an rpg (which was dissapointing), that it was a TB/RT hybrid (which was dissapointing), and that I could finally control my party so as to fire on the enemies rather than me or my dog (which was nice). Basically, the game met my lowered expectations.

I didn't even notice any humor in the game.

I don't remember too much humor in fo1 for that matter, but that is likely since it was so long ago.

The humor in fo2 was fantastic, I thought. I dont think most people got the subtler stuff because a lot of it was very obscure. I think it is pretty silly people go wonky over a little cussing...some characters are bound to be crass.

There was obvious stuff too that was funny, like the kung fu fight as you walk into china town and the "Your kung fu is no good here!", and the whole gimp thing.

I cant remember laughing in fo1 except possibly from the perk descriptions and artwork, and in tatctics there was nowhere I can imagine you were SUPPOSED to laugh.

Grifman

Liturgist
obediah said:
I had forwarrning that it was a tactic-with stats game

Yeah, that whole "Tactics" thing in the title sort of gave it away, didn't it? Seeing as IP never advertised it as an RPG and always as a tactical game like JA2, not sure how much forewarning you needed :)

obediah

Erudite
Grifman said:
obediah said:
I had forwarrning that it was a tactic-with stats game

Yeah, that whole "Tactics" thing in the title sort of gave it away, didn't it? Seeing as IP never advertised it as an RPG and always as a tactical game like JA2, not sure how much forewarning you needed :)

I didn't say it was sekret forewarning. The fact that I was forewarned by the IP PR machine rather than deep throat, doesn't make my point or even choice of words less valid - at least I don't think it doea, I don't know crap about grammar.

p.s. thanks for teaching me how to spell forewarning.

obediah

Erudite
bryce777 said:
I didn't even notice any humor in the game.

I don't remember too much humor in fo1 for that matter, but that is likely since it was so long ago.

The humor in fo2 was fantastic, I thought. I dont think most people got the subtler stuff because a lot of it was very obscure. I think it is pretty silly people go wonky over a little cussing...some characters are bound to be crass.

There was obvious stuff too that was funny, like the kung fu fight as you walk into china town and the "Your kung fu is no good here!", and the whole gimp thing.

I cant remember laughing in fo1 except possibly from the perk descriptions and artwork, and in tatctics there was nowhere I can imagine you were SUPPOSED to laugh.

Unfotunately, I can't remember many specifics from any of the games, but I think the humor in FO1 was more subtle (except for the easter eggs), situations that made me laugh, etc... FO2 definitely had more direct humor, I laughed more, but I think the overall atmosphere suffered because of it. Just talking to people at the base and other NPCs in FOT, generated very bad, very stupid jokes with cussing. Where as the vulgarity in FO2 fit in nicely, the FOT team mistakenly thought that cursing is funny in and of itself. I'm pretty sure we were SUPPOSED to laugh at this, but it's easy to see how one could miss it. ;).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom