Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fantasy Wars - Y/N

Monocause

Arcane
Is it worth getting? I've read some favorable things on the net like the difficulty level and comparisons with fantasy general, but I'd like to hear what the Tentacles of the Hivemind have to say on the subject.

Panthera

Scholar
I just tried the Elven Legacy demo last night. The graphics are hideously bloomy and bright, but it seems like there's some solid gameplay at the core of it.

It's a lot like fantasy general.

Korgan

Arbiter
Good, but the campaign suffers from the combination of linearity, high difficulty, persistent army and rewards for a quick victory that ultimately mean you're going to replay missions endlessly to get no losses and a gold victory, then ignore a few slips and get in trouble. It wasn't quite as bad in Fantasy General.

Sputnik

Educated
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
FW is one of my favourite games of late, and is definitely worth getting if you still can find it somewhere.

I am in the middle of the third (elven) campaign and haven't found the game especially difficult. I've been playing on the normal difficulty and have achieved the gold victory on most of the missions without having to resort to loading after lost fights, let alone replaying missions. Maybe this is because I haven't been sidetracking much during the missions, as the time limits can certainly be rather strict. (I have usually finished the mission on the last turn for gold victory even when I have been focusing solely on the mandatory quests.)

Of course, success on the first missions of the campaign has a great impact on how you are going to cope later. Lose half of your army in the beginning and you are certainly going to have a hard time in the succeeding missions... If you achieve gold victories, manage to find some additional magical items on the side quests and maybe get some extra units when capturing villages or towns, the rest of the game will be a lot easier.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Most positive surprise I've had in recent years. The concept of getting through missions as "good" as possible or later missions get (even more) difficult isn't balanced but the game still rocks.

Crichton

Prophet
Y

The campaigns place a huge premium on using veteran units, so there's a lot of that "zero defect" stuff where you just can't bear to have a unit destroyed because it'll set you back too far in the campaign; but it's still a lot of fun.

I didn't like the extent to which you where generally roaming around the map picking off tiny enclaves of enemies with little or no loss to yourself instead of fighting an enemy equal to yourself (you'll be outnumbered 3:1, but only a tiny fraction will ever be active at any one time), but it's still a definite buy (haven't played the expansion though, it wasn't out in english back when I bought the game).

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Tried the demo and it looked good. Indeed, very much like Panzer/Allied/Fantasy/People's General but prettier. Cranking movement/animation speeds way up helps since you don't have to watch the elven archers walking leisurely to the next hexagon for the 79237597th time. I'm very tempted to buy it now even though uni deadlines are fast approaching... :evil:

Monocause

Arcane
Yay, it's good. Got to mission six and have five gold victories so far in the human campaign.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
If you are familiar with Warhammer Fantasy tabletop miniatures game, this PC game takes most of the features from the tabletop game and translates them into a turn based version with the only major variance being the hex based grid movement.

It basically gives you the full tabletop wargaming experience, without having to do the calculations yourself. Oh, and it gives you combat animations and cutscenes with a story.

I would really like to see a Warhammer 40K version of this game.

Shuma

Scholar
Isn't it more like, "We took Fantasy General and updated it to the 21st century"?

kazgar

Arcane
aha!

just noticed this has appeared on steam, even though the official site seems a touch out of date. year old codex reviews seems positive.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Good, but the campaign suffers from the combination of linearity, high difficulty, persistent army and rewards for a quick victory that ultimately mean you're going to replay missions endlessly to get no losses and a gold victory, then ignore a few slips and get in trouble. It wasn't quite as bad in Fantasy General.

I played the first mission and it seems pretty bad.
Time limit with a medal system, you fighting small groups of enemies, fog of war, limited choice of units.
There's probably more choices later but still.

There's no strategy involved, because of the fog of war, there's little tactics involved as well because of the limited variety of units and the time limit (archers/skirmish and cavalry and then infantry to take cities).

It's way, way below Fantasy General, the gameplay seems extremely dull.

Does it get better later on?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Time limit with a medal system, you fighting small groups of enemies, fog of war, limited choice of units.

There's no strategy involved, because of the fog of war, there's little tactics involved as well because of the limited variety of units and the time limit (archers/skirmish and cavalry and then infantry to take cities).

I don't think he can hear you. You can necro long dead threads, but not long dead posters.

:necro:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

There's fog of war in Fantasy General too. You get a lot more unit types later on, yes. The time limit is a staple of the genre. The only difference is the strict narrative focus that doesn't allow you to lose (some) heroes. It would've been better had they just been wounded and not available for the rest of the mission.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
He replied to Korgan who last posted in 2011.

Not that it's important but I was replying to the topic and not one particular user, I quoted one who had a similar feedback to introduce my point of view and see if someone would contradict me.

There's fog of war in Fantasy General too. You get a lot more unit types later on, yes. The time limit is a staple of the genre. The only difference is the strict narrative focus that doesn't allow you to lose (some) heroes. It would've been better had they just been wounded and not available for the rest of the mission.

It's hard to put a finger on it, besides the short range fog and the time limit and the abandoned features (no more research, no more non fielded commander and his perks) but FG is fun to play, with limited reinforcements, this is just a cheap "wargame" for speed-runners.

Comte_II

I don't think he can hear you. You can necro long dead threads, but not long dead posters.

:necro:

Looks like the rona got kazgar

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom