Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 2, Still looking pretty cool.

Kiree

Scholar
So, another promising game ruined by not-so-bright development decisions and retard target audience. I won't bother, then.

Herbert West

Arbiter
It's interesting how this thread has developed. It corresponds closely to how the game is made.
First impression is great! First two or three missions are a blast. Mechanics are sound, immersion is good for a shooter.
However when you take another bite at this apple it turns out there are maggots inside.
First pages of this thread are also full of positive opinions, however it turns sour quickly and for a reason.
Yet another game that is doubly unpleasant- because it's rather bad but mostly because it just pains me to see so much wasted potential.

A user named cat

Herbert West said:
It's interesting how this thread has developed. It corresponds closely to how the game is made.
First impression is great! First two or three missions are a blast. Mechanics are sound, immersion is good for a shooter.
However when you take another bite at this apple it turns out there are maggots inside.
First pages of this thread are also full of positive opinions, however it turns sour quickly and for a reason.
Yet another game that is doubly unpleasant- because it's rather bad but mostly because it just pains me to see so much wasted potential.
It's the Bioshock plague.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Some nice points by Herbert West.

Many games gave me that sense of wasted potential. I sometimes wonder what kind of fantastic games we would get to play if we could have 2008 technology with a 1988 mindset.

uhjghvt

Scholar
as much as this is frustrating me I'm not going to uninstall. I think it will be a good game when a no-respawn mod comes out. I assume the occasional magic invincible nigger is a bug and it's rare enough that it doesn't really matter.

Herbert West

Arbiter
Tried another way to make the guardposts less annoying, namely a trainer! Found one that can make enemies immobile, rooted in place. However they're not frozen so they can still shoot. And it causes some cars to have epileptic seizures- they start to bounce arround, sometimes crushing someone :lol:
Still no good solution to the thing that annoys me most.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Damn, I was looking forward to this, leave it to the damn Quebecqua to fuck it all up.

uhjghvt

Scholar
Admiral jimbob said:
q

Since you can go off-road most of them, can't you drive around or past the checkpoints? I don't have the game yet, so I'm just trying to work out how this, er, works.
sometimes. much of the world consists of maybe 50' wide canyons which p. much railroads you into going through the gay checkpoints most of the time. if you aren't in a canyon then likely there are close-packed indestructible trees on both sides of the road and if there aren't trees or canyon walls then there are boulders everywhere. you can sometimes avoid checkpoints by dodging the boulders but it's almost as annoying as the checkpoint itself.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
uhjghvt said:
sometimes. much of the world consists of maybe 50' wide canyons which p. much railroads you into going through the gay checkpoints most of the time.

Heh, they're pretty easy to avoid. There are a lot of "secret" passages in addition to those canyons.

And there's a lot of wide open space after the tutorial as well.

DemonKing

Arcane
RK47 said:
Farcry 2: Assassin's Creed in Africa.

Damn - my copy of Far Cry 2 is still in the mail but you're beginning to make me regret it.

AC was an interesting concept dressed up in a beautiful engine mired in horrible, repetitive gameplay...from reading this it looks like FC2 is similar.

A pity - I really enjoyed the original FC. Was AC and FC2 made by the same team?

Suchy

Arcane
Rrainbos Six was p. good too. Except R6 Vegas which started to show consolization symptoms. And since then they went straight downhill.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
But seriously guys...I wanted to play and enjoy this game, but the flurry of negative comments in this thread are really making me consider otherwise.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Its a lot of fun for the first few hours. I was having a blast. Then, well, you start to notice the flaws. But you're still expecting there to be more to the game, and you anticipate and... nothing. Its exactly as it is on the surface, no depth whatsoever.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Kingston said:
Its a lot of fun for the first few hours. I was having a blast. Then, well, you start to notice the flaws. But you're still expecting there to be more to the game, and you anticipate and... nothing. Its exactly as it is on the surface, no depth whatsoever.

Surprisingly familiar to TF2.

Solohk

Scholar
I got it last night and played for an hour or so. I'll echo what's said in this thread that there are too many checkpoints and everyone has too much health, your character included. Overall though, I find it fun and think it has some great ideas.

denizsi

Arcane
A shame really. I was also considering getting it and not so sure anymore now. Too bad they won't release a SDK until too late and people are only left with the stinky map editor alone, regardless of how good of a map editor it is.

From how it sounds here, the wasted potential is indeed pretty saddening. At least with something like FO3, you knew there never was a potential the moment IP went to Beth.

Gerrard

Arcane
Turbografx said:
I'll be checking http://farcry.filefront.com/files/Far_Cry_2/Mods;9944 until a no spawn mod/realistic damage / no weapon de grade mod comes out. Guns malfunctioning in under 500 rds is BS.
You can actually disable weapon degradation, it's a cheat.
Edit the gamerprofile.xml in "My Documents\My Games\Far Cry 2" and add UnlimitedReliability="1" after DifficultyLevel="X". As far as I noticed it doesn't stop already rusty weapons from jamming though.

You may also want to add SkipIntroMovies="1" there.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
Phantasmal said:
Suchy said:
Is this any better? A million of fetch/kill quests, minus the atmosphere, minus interesting locations, minus neutral/friendly NPCs, minus inventory, minus trading.
You act like those are positive points for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. when they were implemented like dogshit and lacked polish. Hell, you couldn't even get vehicles in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. unless you used a buggy mod. Even with them you had to backtrack like a fucking Metroid game forever just to sell equipment to make chump change.

The inventory system was awful, clunky and ugly. The interesting locations ran stale halfway into the game, and just became a long nuissance to traverse.

Atmosphere was the only decent thing in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Far Cry 2's shooting mechanics are leagues above it, as well as no ugly UI to look at, no stupid Russian-broken English, no robotic NPC's who strafe side to side taking 10 billion shotgun blasts to die, decent physics system, better optimized, less stiff, etc.

But does it have GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER?
I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE

JrK

Prophet
Wyrmlord said:
Admiral jimbob said:
But does it have GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER?
I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE

WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE? WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?

:lol: Seriously that game is great just for the amount of fun you can have quoting it!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
What about the scientist at Lake Yantar constantly repeating "Hello? Hello?"

And the Russian dialogue sounds funny too. All those drunken bandits screaming "Yelir! Yelir!" Atleast it sounds like they are drunken. Probably just the language.

JrK

Prophet
And to top it all off, the bandits shouting "cheeky breeky. cheeky breeky donkey" at you or whatever it is in ukrainian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom