Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 5 - set in the exotic open world of MONTANA

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I really enjoyed 3 but haven't played 4 or 5 yet. Shame to hear from pretty much everyone it's decline.

I dunno, I guess I’m in the extreme minority here, but I would rate the new gen if Far Cry games as 4>5>3. They’re all pretty much the same dumb game, but the self-serious writing of 3 made me want to claw my eyes out. Not to mention being forced to play as one of the most absolutely unlikeable idiots in video game history. Whoever wrote that character should be forced to suffer an eternity in hell serving as Danielle Steele’s copy-editor. 5 definitely suffers from the self-serious writing as well, but at least gives a blank slate protagonist. Also I like Montana. I go there for vacation at least once a year. It’s one of the few natural American paradises remaining. The fishing mini game is abysmal though, and I love to fish.

4 was just a total reskin of 3, but I enjoyed the writing more than the other two. Can’t really say why (tend to play dumb games in a dumb/altered state of mind), but I thought it did a good job of committing to its inherently bonkers gameplay loop, and Pagan Min was a more interesting character than anyone else the franchise has given a mic to.

They’re all supremely dumb games though. Anyone looking for intelligent writing or thoughtful design in them is looking in the wrong place.

Vatnik Wumao
Pagan Min was a more interesting character than anyone else the franchise has given a mic to.
I also think that the trio of Pagan, Anita and Sabal was done quite well. None of them are a pure antagonist, but rather they all exhibit different degrees of antagonism towards the player depending on the latter's choices.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Pagan Min was a more interesting character than anyone else the franchise has given a mic to.
I also think that the trio of Pagan, Anita and Sabal was done quite well. None of them are a pure antagonist, but rather they all exhibit different degrees of antagonism towards the player depending on the latter's choices.
While Vaas definitely dominated entire series as a character, I think that overall FC4 was the best. It had a believable setting like FC2, decent characters like FC3 yet cut some slack on repetitive shit (not enough though). Plus the Shangri La levels were by far the most beautiful in the series.

I grabbed FC5 at current sales, and so far it's the worst of the major games (ie. except Primal, BD & ND). Sure the world is huge and nice, but the setting being mostly a parody somewhat lacks the atmosphere of real shithole conflict I liked so much.

Vatnik Wumao
I grabbed FC5 at current sales, and so far it's the worst of the major games (ie. except Primal, BD & ND). Sure the world is huge and nice, but the setting being mostly a parody somewhat lacks the atmosphere of real shithole conflict I liked so much.
FC5's main problem is that it was too sanitized in its portrayal of the sect. The sources of inspiration for its different antagonists are quite obvious, but they've been reduced at some point in development to simple visual aesthetics (most painfully obvious in the case of the neo-volkish inspirations for Jacob Seed which in the final product end up being representative simply of a caricature of militia movements, survivalists and disgruntled veterans).

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
FC5's main problem is that it was too sanitized in its portrayal of the sect. The sources of inspiration for its different antagonists are quite obvious, but they've been reduced at some point in development to simple visual aesthetics (most painfully obvious in the case of the neo-volkish inspirations for Jacob Seed which in the final product end up being representative simply of a caricature of militia movements, survivalists and disgruntled veterans).
It also tries to remain balanced too hard between the good and the bad guys, while not really giving any sensible reasoning for the distinction making the entire plot utterly questionable. On one end it mocks the rural rednecks yet on the other it praises their simpleton patriotism. You fight a religious cult, yet support an armed preacher. Sect survivalist militia is bad, but local preppers are good. The list goes on.

Vatnik Wumao
A shame, really. The rural Northwestern setting had potential and the world design in itself was beautiful, but a beautiful sandbox is not enough to make a good game.

Vatnik Wumao
I think it was less about the negative portrayal of the US and more about the political undertones as they would've been perceived in America and to a lesser extent the West at large.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's simply the fact that with a 160 million gamers market, USA has become a holy cow that is not feasible to be depicted negatively enough to make this setting work.

I don't think you're paying much attention. The press is almost entirely left-wing and get pissed if you even hint that you're proud to be an American. This is especially true of the coastal cities, who hate everyone who isn't a coastal city liberal. A big part of the disappointment with Far Cry 5 was that they wanted it to be a brutal satire of mid-west American rubes and it wasn't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom