Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fate JRPG fan project

AlterAstolfo

Literate
Maybe there might be some Type Moon guys on this server, so I've been working on a Fate/Fan Project inspired by the Fan Visual Novel Fate/Empire of Dirt which kind of got me excited to do my own game set in the Fate universe.

This post I'll cover the Premise and when I get home from work I'll hopefully be able to upload some Character Art for the various Masters and Servants I've developed.

Also if you guys have suggestion on which Engine could work best for the Game please let me know my Brother suggests RPGMaker - but I'm not sure if it has the scalability I need for the project and I am pretty unfamiliar with the software. But Unreal Engine feels like complete overkill.

So on with the Premise:

The Timeline...

hq720.jpg

Okay I know the Timeline is a meme.

So the setting is a world between Fate/Apocrypha and Stay Night - a sort of perfect overlapping space where most of the events of Stay Night are unchanged and the events of Apocrypha has occurred.

The basis is Kirei Kotomine, the Priest from Stay Night, won the fourth holy grail war and was overseer for a fifth ritual. But that ritual only summoned 6 servants - with Saber the ultimate class being missing. And the fifth war was considered a failure with no master claiming the grail and the last servant Lancer vanishing from this world.

However with the war in Trifas concluding soon after, whilst the Clocktower succeed in crushing Yggdmellenia no reported wish was granted by the grail.

Kirei has since began work in establishing another ritual - the grand grail war which will be a spectacle beyond the poultry offerings of the widespread sub-specific grail wars. Promising a full summoning of all seven servants.

So that's the rough premise for the story background.

As for the game play, I am sort-of leaning towards a Grand Order style system but with a bit more nuance - so lanes, target selection, party composition and potentially for the Masters some skill trees, upgrades with Mystic Codes and so on. So think Fate/Grand Order x Fate/Extra in that sense.

The game will also take cues from Visual Novels - I mean it is where Fate started from.

So what are your thoughts?

158858.gif

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Also if you guys have suggestion on which Engine could work best for the Game please let me know my Brother suggests RPGMaker - but I'm not sure if it has the scalability I need for the project and I am pretty unfamiliar with the software. But Unreal Engine feels like complete overkill

Which engine are you familiar with? Do you have any programming experience or is this an 'I will learn as I go' type of deal?

AlterAstolfo

Literate
Also if you guys have suggestion on which Engine could work best for the Game please let me know my Brother suggests RPGMaker - but I'm not sure if it has the scalability I need for the project and I am pretty unfamiliar with the software. But Unreal Engine feels like complete overkill

Which engine are you familiar with? Do you have any programming experience or is this an 'I will learn as I go' type of deal?
My experience is with Unreal Engine - as it was the engine I used in my Games Design course. But I know Fate/Empire of Dirt used RPGMaker so what I roughly want to achieve is possible in that engine.

AlterAstolfo

Literate
Okay I managed to get Imgur to work so these first seven character seen below are the First Masters, named cause they summon the first summoned class of the Heroic Spirit servants.

1RFBAly.jpeg

The Master of First Saber is a combat focused Magus, he uses mystic eyes and a blade which also serves as his chief mystic code as his most solid offensive options.
The Master of First Lancer is something more akin to a Heroic Spirit than a Magus, similar to Bedivere from Fate/Grand Order sixth singularity Camelot.
The Master of First Archer is a blue ranked Magus, nick named the Armoured Magician he is a powerful Projection Magus.
The Master of First Rider is a flame magus, the weakest amongst the Masters of the First Servant, she none the less seeks to prove herself in this upcoming grail war.
The Master of First Assassin is a Dead Apostle, a commander of the shadows and darkness he is prehaps the most powerful non-Servant esc master.
The Master of First Caster takes a similar role to Souichirou as the more physically imposing of the Master-Servant duo.
The Master of First Berserker is an enigmatic wander, who seeks the grail for his own malevolent purposes (Aka he's the big bad)

UrtfYzX.png

The Master of Second Saber is the Durtagonist of the story, acting as the Master to the Protagonist Second Saber. Currently she takes the form of the one winged master.
The Master of Second Lancer is a Rouge Homunculi who escaped from the lair of the Master of Second Rider.
The Master of Second Archer is a Native American Magus who hates the encroaching magical knowledge and practises of the Mages Association - especially the Clocktower.
The Master of Second Rider is a dark arts magus, seeking the grail to gain access to the root of all knowledge.
The Master of Second Assassin is a puppet master, he seeks the grail to perfect his craft.
The Master of Second Caster is the Gunpowder Magus, he is the veteran of many wars including Sub Specific Grail Wars, tho his overall motivations remains illusive.
The Master of Second Berserker is a word magus, he especially effective with those magus who make use of Mystic Eyes. He has summoned perhaps the most powerful individual servant of the Grail War.

And so now onto the Servants;
2SC3afY.png

First Saber is both Emperor and Tyrant, Conqueror and Saint. He is a man of duality, and this is reflected in his uncaring and inhuman personae - he is more the embodiment of the Godly anointed Emperor and Saviour.
First Lancer is the most easy to discover, the Monkey King, Sun Wukong is a living and iconic hero. He is quick to anger - a trickster and warrior both, he is an uncompromising monster by all accounts.
First Archer is a wise and just King, his eyes are always fixated on his objective - and this is currently on claiming the grail for his one true wish. He distrusts all around him, his master above all - for a godless magus can never be trusted.
First Rider is the dashing rouged bard and knight of Fianna, charming and unrelenting he sets off on his quest to claim glory for his people and return to his beloved countrymen.
First Assassin is the shunned, the scorned and shamed. The man who destroyed a nation, and cast it into chaos and civil war. Damnation would be to light a price for his crimes - as he wallows in self haltered, his wrath and pride prevents him from backing down to the other heroic spirits.
First Caster is the seer of the future, clairvoyant to a fault he is disinterested in the war long since seeing its conclusion and the death of himself in it.
First Berserker is a massive hulking titan of flesh and bone. Corruption runs over him, long the prisoner of chains and his invulnerability stolen from him his beloved he is now a cruel judge without remorse for his enemies.

huye8QV.png

And finally the last heroic spirits.

Second Saber is the acting protagonist of the story, a knight and king full of remorse and pain he attempted to defend something long ago but fortune did not favour his short reign. Noble, pragmatic and cunning his weakness is his lower level skill on average than the normal Saber class heroic spirit.
Second Lancer - it seems this mere Spearman things off himself as a gunman - despite his odd armament he is a swift servant favouring hit and run and guerrilla tactics. His only fault, for all man have one, is he can never tell a lie.
Second Archer is a bowman from a shrouded and unhistorical past, from an alternate reality or simply brought to life by the millions who acclaim his story is true he is an affront to his masters world view and the two often disagree on strategy.
Second Rider is the arch nemesis of Second Saber from there prior lives, it seems Fate was fortunate to both heroes allowing them one final bout to settle ancient grudges.
Second Assassin, a merciless king who killed those who opposed his right to rule without question. He is none the less powerful, with a menacing almost demonic aura.
Second Caster, a powerful wizard and warrior from Welsh myth his odd appearance stemming from his punishment at the hand of his betters in one particular story he was involved in.
Second Berserker mark indicate him as the first of the garden of sinners, the murderous brother of Able. His summoning is both surprising and a major threat to the other heroic spirits.

So those are all the current concepted characters;

To do is;
Third Caster
First Ruler
Second Ruler
Avenger
Incarnate Rider
Counter Guardian Archer
Saviour

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Your designs are cool. And since you seem to be serious about the thing, I'd say go with RPG Maker for a first project. There's no need to overcomplicate things with UE.

AlterAstolfo

Literate
Your designs are cool. And since you seem to be serious about the thing, I'd say go with RPG Maker for a first project. There's no need to overcomplicate things with UE.
Yeah it's what my brother said too, RPG Maker makes the most sense XD

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
rpg architect could also be an option. as could gamemaker or godot. the problem with rpgmaker is that your game will probably feel like a generic rpgmaker game. it's also the least flexible.

AlterAstolfo

Literate
rpg architect could also be an option. as could gamemaker or godot. the problem with rpgmaker is that your game will probably feel like a generic rpgmaker game. it's also the least flexible.
I've heard a lot of good stuff about Godot so I could look into that engine.

MarathonGuy1337

Educated
I've heard a lot of good stuff about Godot so I could look into that engine.
Godot is a good choice plenty of tutorials online plus online forums

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom