Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorable Witcher review on GameTrailers.

the_Consumer

Novice
dragonfk said:
PS. Defending Oblivions RPG qualities is a disgrace and you should be given "Oblivion hugger" tag.
:salute: (+1 codex point, when you reach 100, people will begin to take you more seriously, and will read more of your posts)

Come on people! Jasade is one of the few most intelligent posters around and you can't get past the fucking furry thing! Now THAT is a fucking disgrace.

And please, could someone quote the part where he 'praises' oblivion? Seriously.

dragonfk

Erudite
the_Consumer said:
dragonfk said:
PS. Defending Oblivions RPG qualities is a disgrace and you should be given "Oblivion hugger" tag.
:salute: (+1 codex point, when you reach 100, people will begin to take you more seriously, and will read more of your posts)

Come on people! Jasade is one of the few most intelligent posters around and you can't get past the fucking furry thing! Now THAT is a fucking disgrace.

And please, could someone quote the part where he 'praises' oblivion? Seriously.

Change your tag to "Yiffister hugger".

I think that if Jasede had something against Yiffister tag he would politely said something about it and then we would honestly apologized him and after that we would all hug together.

the_Consumer

Novice
dragonfk said:
the_Consumer said:
dragonfk said:

Change your tag to "Yiffister hugger".

I think that if Jasede had something against Yiffister tag he would politely said something about it and then we would honestly apologized him and after that we would all hug together.

Errrr...who's talking about the tag?

dragonfk

Erudite
the_Consumer said:
Errrr...who's talking about the tag?

JarlFrank said:
dragonfk said:
Okey, Iam puzzled. What does Yiffster stand for?

That he is a furry.

So if his tag is an evidence of his furriesness then we are talking also about the tag, which we can also treat as a metaphor of the way we "can't get past the fucking furry thing".

And seriously, guys were making fun of Jasede and you jump up with "omg, you're treating him as a lesser being". Okey, he is, but should we make so much fuss about it?

cardtrick

Arbiter
the_Consumer said:
Come on people! Jasade used to be one of the few most intelligent posters around back when fewer than half of his posts were whiny bitchfests and you can't get past the fucking furry thing!

Fixed.

Deleted member 7219

cardtrick said:
the_Consumer said:
Come on people! Jasade used to be one of the few most intelligent posters around back when fewer than half of his posts were whiny bitchfests and you can't get past the fucking furry thing!

Fixed.

Agreed. Just see who's doing the most ignoring.

Ahzaruuk said:
JarlFrank said:
dragonfk said:
Okey, Iam puzzled. What does Yiffster stand for?

That he is a furry.

And he's not even ashamed of it!
that's all?

Then where the hell is my title then? :x

Rainerz: The words "who carez?" spring to mind.

Krumcock: Guess what springs in my pants Rainer...

Xaana: Now children behave or you'll both have to lick my scabby third arm of justice again.

Deleted member 7219

Why the fuck do we have a Rosenphelia Godot wannabe here at the Codex? If I wanted that bullshit I'd still be at the Bethesda forums.

WalterKinde

Scholar
as far as i know the witcher was never meant to be an Oblivion clone but nowadays Oblivion is considered the penultimate RPG by those in big name gaming media as well as the people who believe/live by reviews given out by them so all other RPGs have to be judged by it and all are found wanting when compared to Oblivion.

caliban

Scholar
Jasede, why do you always choose TW threads for your attention whoring bitchfests? Is it because you have some personal grudge against the game, or do you just figure Polacks are easy to troll?

Seriously, I'm curious.

caliban

Scholar
Yup, that's also what I thought. Still, I'm interested in hearing whatever half-arsed excuse he'll come up with this time.

DefJam101

Arcane
Jasede said:
MasPingon said:
Jasede said:
I... don't see the reason for your reaction?

Maybe becaouse we actually played both games

Is it or is it not true that Oblivion has more skills, like a dialogue skill

Huh?

Oblivion definitely has more weapon skills, as far as I can tell: swords, blunt weapons, bows... Also, there's a barter skill, race selection, class selection, more attributes to increase, et cetera. All those things are RPG elements and it only makes sense a reviewer would call Witcher shallow in this regard, assuming it doesn't have much of this. Heck, even I would call all Gothic games shallow in their RPG elements, since there's really not many skills, no race selection, etc. This doesn't make it a better or worse RPG, I am just pointing out that the review's remark might very well be justified, assuming Witcher has more of a Gothic-like system.

All of these "RPG Elements" Oblivion has mean nothing, because they are just clever facades designed to mask a lack of actual effort put into designing the game. For instance:

You can increase combat skills, but they don't actually increase your effectiveness in combat, anyways.

Many skills including dialog and lockpicking can be easily trivialized using in-game means. (Bribes/Unbreakable Lockpick) And besides, they weren't even hard to master in the first place.

Your actual character's creation means nothing. What's the point of making a hawt Khajiit babe (with which you plan to yiff the emperor into Oblivion <zomglol>) if no one actually reacts to your character, and your choices upon creation effect nothing. In fact, the only way to tell if your character actually IS a character is if someone calls you "Khajiit" or spews an awkward comment you've heard 400 times ("Look at the muscles on you!")

The game's progression system is (and has always been) a novel idea, however Bethesda clearly has put little to no effort into refining and balancing it. (Bunny hopping all day/sneaking in broad daylight on a city street/scaling levels that can actually make you LESS EFFECTIVE than the previous level)

Everything in Oblivion seemed to be the result of Bethesda sitting down the dev team and saying, "Ok guys, this will sound good on paper.. but it will be too hard to implement, and we need to get to that PR meeting in 2 hours. How can we make it look like our game has this?"

Meanwhile everything in The Witcher seemed to be the result of: "............................................ Oh, sorry, we were too busy working on <game>. What? The game's being released in 5 minutes?... I guess we got carried away."

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Matt7895 said:
Why the fuck do we have a Rosenphelia Godot wannabe here at the Codex? If I wanted that bullshit I'd still be at the Bethesda forums.
He's a parody of my ESF account back when I used to post my individual character's perspective responses as posts (sometime in late 06)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The fuck?

Are you guys this stupid? NOWHERE in this thread was I trolling the Witcher. Just because you think of me as a whiny bitch - a justified claim - that doesn't mean I was like this in this thread.

I merely stated that Oblivion has more /choices/ than The Witcher when it comes to character creation and development. That's what's commonly called RPG elements. If those choices have consequences does not, in fact, matter to a reviewer or most of the general public; the point is you have more, way more freedom in those so-called RPG elements in Oblivion than in The Witcher and you'd have to be fucking blind apologists not to realize that. Dudes! I am not saying TW is a bad game, you fucking spin-doctors.

I was merely stating a FACT. If this fact has consequences is IRRELEVANT to the general public. They don't care if their weapon skills are useless! They care about the skills existing! They don't care if the race selection is cosmetic - they care about it EXISTING!

Jesus! Why do I have to explain those elementary things? When did you guys start becoming stupid? By God, I swear, I wouldn't have needed to put it this simply a few years ago.

caliban

Scholar
Oh, now I see I was mistaken, arguing about *obvious* and *irrelevant* facts is not trolling at all. Sorry.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, okay, Jas... guess you have a different view of RPGs as most others here, which is okay, especially as I can see how you think, having grown up with dungeon-crawlers, too, where "RPG elements" meant skills and stats, but for most of the guys here Roleplaying Elements are the stuff you find in Fallout, like Choice and Consequence and extensive dialogue, and they're more important for an RPG than skills and stats.

Also, the case with Oblivion, as you have never played it and just guess by the feature list, is that none of the skills really *matter* and have consequences on gameplay, while in older RPGs like Wizardry it was really important how you skilled and levelled your character if you wanted not to die. In Oblivion, the horrible level-scaling removes the meaning of your skills almost completely as you can level them up to 100 and still never go to sleep to level up, and be able to fuck up every enemy with one hit, or level up useless skills and level up but then be crushed because your combat skills aren't up to par with the enemies.

That's why Oblivion's RPG elements are meaningless, while the ones that TW has are not.

Also, stop bashing Jasede for trying to judge games by an oldskool view on RPGs, guys.

dragonfk

Erudite
JarlFrank said:
Also, stop bashing Jasede for trying to judge games by an oldskool view on RPGs, guys.

I am not bashing Jasede for anything. I just gave my oppinion that he should rather play something and then comment. Commenting about RPG elements present in Oblivion, while he has never played the game is just plain stupid. I havent played TW I dont comment wheter or not its RPG-lite or not. I havent played Mass Effect, I dont write "ME>Kotor". I had no occasion to play MotB, I dont write "Wow MotB has more RPG-depth than original which is shallow, because there are more spells, feats in addon".

Its like I would be saying that calculating fourier transfer function is so much easier than finding fourier series function. When in fact I would have never done neither and dont have a fucking idea which is which.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
dragonfk said:
I am not bashing Jasede for anything. I just gave my oppinion that he should rather play something and then comment. Commenting about RPG elements present in Oblivion, while he has never played the game is just plain stupid.

What? Disregarding whatever bias the guy might have agaisnt the Witcher - why couldn't he comment on the specifics of a game without having played it? You're kind of missing the point here. Isn't that what the Codex do, like, everytime before a game is released? Why couldn't you pick up the appropriate info and argue without having played the game? Again, not saying the guy did do his research proprely, but what I'm saying is, "Commenting about RPG elements present in Oblivion, while he has never played the game is just plain stupid" - taking that sentence at phase value, you're very wrong here. It's like saying you can't appreciate the plot of a movie without seeing it, even if you read it - sure, the movie might make the plot look better, but on paper, it sucks, it's a bad plot, that's all there's to it. Anyway enough metaphors. Point is, the Witcher's RPG elements have been described many times, I don't know why you'd need to play it to know what you're talking about. I mean, it's pretty obvious, the core design ideas of a game have to be invented before a game is done and played.

You're math metaphor is useless and fuck you for doing a math metaphor (fuck you very much). D:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Serious_Business said:
What? Disregarding whatever bias the guy might have agaisnt the Witcher - why couldn't he comment on the specifics of a game without having played it? You're kind of missing the point here. Isn't that what the Codex do, like, everytime before a game is released?

Well, there's certainly a difference between commenting on a non-released RPG and a released one. You can play the released one and inform yourself out of first hand, while you can't do that with unreleased ones and have to judge by PR and feature lists.

Actually, in theory Jasede is right [from his point of view of what an RPG is], but considering how useless skills were in Oblivion, he is wrong again. If he had played it, he would maybe think otherwise.

Also, he really never said anything against the Witcher in this thread, only that it lacks the certain RPG elements that he likes, which is character development, not choice and consequence. I guess you all miss the point here.

dragonfk

Erudite
Serious_Business said:
What? Disregarding whatever bias the guy might have agaisnt the Witcher - why couldn't he comment on the specifics of a game without having played it? You're kind of missing the point here. Isn't that what the Codex do, like, everytime before a game is released? Why couldn't you pick up the appropriate info and argue without having played the game?

What JarlFrank said.

Serious_Business said:
Again, not saying the guy did do his research proprely, but what I'm saying is, "Commenting about RPG elements present in Oblivion, while he has never played the game is just plain stupid" - taking that sentence at phase value, you're very wrong here. It's like saying you can't appreciate the plot of a movie without seeing it, even if you read it - sure, the movie might make the plot look better, but on paper, it sucks, it's a bad plot, that's all there's to it. Anyway enough metaphors. Point is, the Witcher's RPG elements have been described many times, I don't know why you'd need to play it to know what you're talking about. I mean, it's pretty obvious, the core design ideas of a game have to be invented before a game is done and played.

But how can you form your oppinion if you've got no experience with some material(book, film, game). Should I believe other people comments? Should I base my oppinion on other people experince? Forgive me for another stupid metaphor, but this situation would be like calculating some value with false or inaccurate initial arguments.

So I cant agree with you about rating elements of a book/film/game based only on some secondhanded views.

Also JarlFrank talking about theories is rather worthless(maybe less so in maths :wink: ), you know they tend to be really fucked up when real life(practice) kicks in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom