Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorite D&D alignments?

Favorite alignments?

• Lawful Good

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Neutral Good

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Chaotic Good

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Lawful Neutral

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • True Neutral

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Chaotic Neutral

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Lawful Evil

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Neutral Evil

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Chaotic Evil

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
What are your two most favorite alignments and why?
Post any experiences you had while playing with a character of a specific alignment. Were they good? Bad?

ind33d

Educated
Post any experiences you had while playing with a character of a specific alignment. Were they good? Bad?

umm, like, excuse me, chud, but the science says alignment is racist and orcophobic, so we removed it

beardalaxy

Novice
I tend to look at this a little differently, as I think it helps new players especially figure out an interesting character that isn't just a rapscallion.

Rather than Good and Evil, I always recommend that my players pick between Selfless and Selfish. Rather than Law and Chaos, I ask them to choose between Security and Liberty. It might not be the best replacement system in the world, but I think it helps put things into a better perspective for them so I don't have a bunch of "Chaotic Neutral" characters running around fucking shit up, or characters who are just straight up evil and do devious things for the hell of it. It keeps everyone still in that "hero" spectrum because, at least in my campaigns that I run, they aren't supposed to be the bad guys. There can be a lot of gray area, sure, but I don't want to play with characters who are truly evil because it doesn't make sense for the context of the setting, and it can cause some unnecessary butting of heads at the table. I want everyone on the same page, at least generally speaking.

I have played mostly Chaotic Neutral or, in my terms, "Liberal Neutral" characters (I know the word Liberal has a bad connotation now but you know what I mean), because it reflects me more. I haven't had the chance to play too much unfortunately, but that's the character I'm able to play the most realistically and what I have the most experience with. In particular, being a musician myself, I've got a lot of bards that I've used as a player and a DM that follow this alignment.

I DM much more often, so I guess I can speak to one of my NPCs that I really enjoy. He is the son of a god, and is full of hate, willing to do anything with his power to get what he wants. I play him as a "Liberal Selfish" character, or "Chaotic Evil" by normal terms. He hates his god status and wishes to break away from it. I have a good time playing his character, he's full of mystery and intrigue that the players tend to find interesting, but he's still a teenager so he has these explosive moments that show he isn't quite hinged, and doesn't follow society's typical morals.

That being said, this character is still actually aligned with the party on their major goal, which is to take down the god that rules over the land with an iron fist. It's up to the party to kind of help shape him into a hero archetype, rather than an anti-hero one, but he's not some wild character that blows things up and robs stores just for the hell of it. He's got some goals in mind and he'll just use whatever means he can to accomplish them. Alternatively, the party can also forge him more into an actual antagonist with their actions, which my first party to run this campaign nearly did before one of them saved it. It was roleplayed beautifully, honestly.

Gahbreeil

Learned
Lawful Good, I'm pleased that it is winning. I voted before I noticed that the OP wanted two. My other pick would be Chaotic Neutral, I guess.

Why? Paladin team since Diablo II as possibly my first RPG. Either that or Baldur's Gate II where my first pick was a Paladin as well. Hurting imaginary characters is kind of retadred. Better to help them and allow them to live happy lifes.

Erebus

Arcane
Lawful Neutral.

Interpreted in a superficial way, it can be really alienating and narrow-minded, but it has the potential to be much more interesting. It's the perfect alignment for characters who have a lot of inner discipline, value patience and self-possession, believe that reason should prevail over emotions, are scientific-minded, etc.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Chaotic Neutral, with good tendencies.

When it comes to neutral alignments I refuse to believe that anyone but otherwordly constructs can be completely neutral. Even a True Neutral druid all about muh balance is going to err on one side or another. So when it comes to CN, I'm still more likely to help the little old lady across the street because I happen to be going that way than to turn her into a newt because lol random.

Akachi

Educated
Chaotic Neutral, but then I don't like its reputation and have never really thought the descriptions of it in the Player's Handbooks fit it that well, so saying that might not tell much. It should obviously be the Chaotic alignment between Good and Evil (duh) and have traits of the descriptions of Chaotic Evil, Chaotic Good, and True Neutral (going by their AD&D descriptions), but rather than have traits of each of those without tending toward any extreme, it ends up being lolsorandomXD lunatics even in official descriptions and even moreso in most people's understanding of it. To me, it has always seemed like the natural alignment of barbarous people, frontiersmen, hicks, and the like, representing those who value personal liberty and independence from society, who don't fit neatly into any other alignment (unless you also make them Good or Evil).

Second favourite is harder to pick. I like Lawful Good a lot as long as it's the Gygaxian kind enslaving criminals and dismembering murderers and rapists to leave their bodies by the side of the road, they're interesting, although most people's portrayal of them nowadays is not of course and is far from that. But I voted Chaotic Evil, it's an underrated alignment and as a DM, playing characters that prioritise freedom and themselves while still having intelligence and yet being real bastards is a lot of fun, especially when it's a Chaotic Evil society; bonus points if it's a planar one, like in the Abyss. Chaotic values are attractive to most people except they're used to Chaotic Good/Neutral values rather than callous, lawless social Darwinism, and Evil can be charming and seductive, which makes it uniquely difficult for most people to grasp and is probably why it tends to get portrayed as the lolrandomEVIL alignment.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I remember Conan the Barbarian was put in the Chaotic Neutral camp.
Honestly, my appreciation for Chaotic Good has grown over the years. You can be a Good Guy Greg, but you can also be in it for the bitches. You can have hobbies which might make the party paladin give you some funny looks because of it, but, at the end of the day, you want to have some fun, teach others to have fun and enjoy themselves, but you are also a generous and heroic person.

Last edited:

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I always wondered if Chaotic Neutral characters have no moral compass or they order destroyers for sake of pure destruction? If second answer is true, what is the difference between them and Chaotic Evil?

Caim

Arcane
alignments
Are cringe.

While I can see the merit of quantifying someone's personality for the sake of mechanics, the whole lawful/chaotic good/evil is just astrology for neckbeards. A superior system should be possible, but so far I've never seen it.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Overall True Neutral. The vast majority of my tabletop characters trend in this direction. The ones that don't tend to belong the adjacent moralities (Lawful Neutral, Neutral Good, Neutral Evil). The exception is Chaotic Neutral, which I rarely play and don't like very much. I suppose my "main" Call of Cthulhu player character would be a notable exception of a possibly Chaotic Neutral character (although alignments technically don't exist in Call of Cthulhu) in the sense he is basically insane (he thinks of himself as Neutral Good and started out that way, but is too crazy to have a real moral compass).

Really depends on the campaign though.

bobocrunch

Educated
neutral good, because it lets you self insert as a good guy heroman without having to agree with the paladin who thinks fork usage is sacrilege

Caim

Arcane
I see Lawful Good currently dominates.
So, you guys like being goody goodies?
Nah it's just that in most games the evil path is either the bad ending, non canon, really edgy or requires you to kill characters that you like. And given that in these games the good path is often lawful good, they end up with this.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Nah it's just that in most games the evil path is either the bad ending, non canon, really edgy or requires you to kill characters that you like.
Yeah, you are right.
Still, there are certain games where playing evil is done right and in a mature manner (Kotor 2 comes to mind).

MerchantKing

Learned
I always wondered if Chaotic Neutral characters have no moral compass or they order destroyers for sake of pure destruction? If second answer is true, what is the difference between them and Chaotic Evil?
Chaotic neutral Gnomes are just ingenious humble inventors who pedal illegal inventions without a business license.

Caim

Arcane
Chaotic neutral Gnomes are just ingenious humble inventors who pedal illegal inventions without a business license.
Doc Brown energy. Promise to build a nuke for Libyan insurgents to get your hands on their plutonium for your time machine.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Jan Jansen was secret chaotic-good. He never did anything wrong (minus pick poking, but same we can say about Imoen).

Doc Brown energy. Promise to build a nuke for Libyan insurgents to get your hands on their plutonium for your time machine.

Doc Brown was more good than neutral (he cared about Marty and timeline).

When I think about true chaotic neutral, I think about Pisistratus. Two times expelled, three times was tyrant, quickly changed allies, cheated plebeian with fake Athena, patron of arts and he banged his last wife only in ass because he didn't want more children what started civil war in Athens.

MerchantKing

Learned

Jan Jansen was secret chaotic-good.
Are you sure about that?

He never did anything wrong
This is true. Jan Jansen did nothing wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom