Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Feargus Urquhart IGDA Montreal Talk

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
InCline? Really?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
60941963.jpg

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
lol at PoE's engine. It's called unity and the Obsidian version is somewhat shitty
Yeah, it's so shitty InXile is using it for the new Torment. Dismissing what looks like a robust enough framework for future RPG's with advanced features like a reputation system and a stealth system is pretty silly.

They were about to go out of business before the Kickstarter, layed off a bunch of people, adding 95 people after that experience sounds insane.
Apparently they're bigger than they've ever been, close to 200 people. Such is the crazy mind of Feargus Urquhart.

The man's a loon, abandon all hope, no wonder Chris Avellone left, he's decided to cash out before he's left homeless and penniless.

Kz3r0

Arcane
South Park 2
You missed the game IP odissey, the game was practically auctioned when the original publisher got bankrupt.
Anf for an AAA+ title sold like shit.
oh I thought that game was all gravy for Obsidian. too bad
It was the usual contract they were hired to make the game, their only benefit would have been to be hired again to make a sequel, but considering that the actual publisher got the rights for peanuts and the game didn't sell the gazzilions copies AAA+ titles should sell I doubt that said publisher is going to invest money in a sequel.

Athelas

Arcane
BWAHHHHAAHHAAHAHAHHAAHAHAHA
Please, stop being retarded.
Tell me again about the great stealth systems and day/night cycle in Shadowrun Returns and Wasteland 2.

If you think having a robust engine that can be used to more efficiently produce future RPG's (and is already being used for the RPG from another company) is a bad thing, you are an idiot.

Athelas

Arcane
lel, tell us about the great stealth system in PoE.
Well, I never said it was great, just that it's a feature that could be expanded on. Try to read what I actually post.

Meanwhile, Harebrained is making their third game about shadowrunning without the ability to shadowrun (i.e. stealth).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In South Park's case, it's not really the publisher's choice. Trey Parker and Matt Stone would have to be interested in making a sequel, and since creating the first game was an arduous experience for them, they probably want at least a break.

Personally I doubt there will ever be a sequel.

Hegel

Arcane
Well, I never said it was great, just that it's a feature that could be expanded on. Try to read what I actually post.

Meanwhile, Harebrained is making their third game about shadowrunning without the ability to shadowrun (i.e. stealth).
So, who in his right mind would license a by-product (from a third party) which admittedly is not great, needs a lot of rework and needs to be expanded upon?
Why license PoE's engine instead of D:OS when the latter is better mechanic-wise?

Athelas

Arcane
So, who in his right mind would license a by-product (from a third party) which admittedly is not great, needs a lot of rework and needs to be expanded upon?
Why license PoE's engine instead of D:OS when the latter is better mechanic-wise?
Who in their right mind? Well, the company you like to describe as 'InCline', for starters. :smug:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Tell me again about the great stealth systems and day/night cycle in Shadowrun Returns and Wasteland 2.

If you think having a robust engine that can be used to more efficiently produce future RPG's (and is already being used for the RPG from another company) is a bad thing, you are an idiot.
That's called pipeline, nevermind that your 'robust' engine brings to their knees most of the systems out there and can't handle too much characters on screen, and in case you don't know Obsidian already had a robust engine made in-house, Onix, but was choked full of proprietary middleware thathy couldn't use it for PoE, hence Unity, which expertise are shring with inXile.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
They seem to have problems at getting their royalties too, and this is happening again with Paradox.
Wait. What did I miss?

InCline is continuously working on the engine. Besides, the guys at Unity are the ones entitled to a fee.
Obsidian has a license.
More important than the other tools in the Unity-based toolbox polished for use in modern IE-like games provided by Obsidian is the fact that inXile are using their proprietary dialogue system.

Hegel

Arcane
Who in their right mind? Well, the company you like to describe as 'InCline', actually. :smug:
That's where I wanted you. InCline was sharing staff, writers, designers and artists with Obsidian at a time the Unreal Engine wasn't made free yet and before the release of DOS.
It made perfect sense to share technology, they had a common pipeline. That's different from licensing your own tech to someone else. Nobody with an ounce of sense would buy PoE's engine, assuming Obsidian could even sell a license without Unity stepping in.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Who in their right mind? Well, the company you like to describe as 'InCline', actually. :smug:
Confirmed retardation, Fargo used Unity both for sparing money and the whole 'let's use crowfunding as a developement model' thing.
Unity was very popular on Kickstarter, cheap, Fargo praised the asset shop too, but now that Unreal made its own engine very affordable Fargo jumped at the opportunity and is using it fot BT4.

Athelas

Arcane
That's where I wanted you. InCline was sharing staff, writers, designers and artists with Obsidian at a time the Unreal Engine wasn't made free yet and before the release of DOS.
It made perfect sense to share technology, they had a common pipeline in the same cycle. That's different from licensing your own tech to someone else. Nobody with an ounce of sense would buy PoE's engine, assuming Obsidian could even sell a license without Unity stepping in.
What exactly do you think 'sharing stuff' means? InXile licensed stuff from Obsidian - first the dialogue tools, then the 'PoE engine'. So yeah, people would really pay for the PoE engine - they already have. Do you really think InXile would prefer building an RPG engine from scratc using Unreal, with all the effort and resources that would cost, rather than simply making use of what Obsidian already had produced? Even if Unreal had been free at the time, InXile would still have used the PoE engine.

Confirmed retardation, Fargo used Unity both for sparing money and the whole 'let's use crowfunding as a developement model' thing.
Unity was very popular on Kickstarter, cheap, Fargo praised the asset shop too, but now that Unreal made its own engine very affordable Fargo jumped at the opportunity and is using it fot BT4.
If you even for a moment thought that the 'PoE engine' would be suited for making a first-person 3d blobber, you are really worthy of your tag. Thanks for rebutting a point nobody was making.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I am not sure that the D:OS engine is all that it's cracked up to be re: developing Black Isle-style RPGs, judging by the experience of modders. It's got stuff like item randomization built deep into its core. Not to mention the fact that it's 3D. I'm sure it's going to get a lot of work, but for now...

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If PoE's engine was just basic Unity, how do you explain it being much better than Wasteland 2's?

Hegel

Arcane
Are you retarded? There is no "POE ENGINE". It's called unity https://unity3d.com/
They shared tech because they were making similar games, pitched the same way and at times they even went as far as employing the same staff and writers. As soon as a better engine came out they jumped ship. If Larian started offering their engine for free, Fargo would have jumped at their proposition as well.
Obsidian isn't an engine developer by trade, they have 1/100th of the support and will never be able to offer the expertise a company like Epic (which is specialized in engine making) can offer. Your posts make no sense economic-wise.

If PoE's engine was just basic Unity, how do you explain it being much better than Wasteland 2's?

Let's wait until Wasteland 2 is fully patched and updated, it was a test run after all.
I expect Torment to run better and have less bugs than PoE (which to be fair was released in a messy state).

Athelas

Arcane
Are you retarded? There is no "POE ENGINE". It's called unity
I never claimed there was such a thing, which is why I referred to the 'PoE engine' with "" "". Apparently the subtleties of everyday speech are lost on you. Everyone understands the PoE engine is just a set of features.You seem to think a company would rather dedicate resources and effort to building those features from scratch instead of just using the 'PoE engine'.

As soon as a better engine came out they jumped ship.
This is only relevant if you think the 'PoE engine' being used for a first-person 3d-blobber was ever on the cards. So far, only one other person, who has a dumbfuck tag has made that claim, so you're in good company.

Let's wait until Wasteland 2 is fully patched and updated, it was a test run after all.
I expect Torment to run better and have less bugs than PoE (which to be fair was released in a messy state).
Wasteland 2 was released in a much buggier state than PoE.

Hegel

Arcane
You claimed "PoE's engine" offers a set of features. When you were called on those, you admitted they weren't good and they needed work. So who the fuck is going to work on "PoE's engine" instead of loading Unreal and benefit from a support 100 times more intensive, dedicated and actually expert in the arcane art of engine crafting?

Your answer was: Fargo.
Holy cow, of course Fargo is using the same engine Obsidian used, that's the same engine Inxile employed to develop a game released 1 year before PoE went beta. They shared their technology and expertise. Does that mean Obsidian can make a living building engines? Do they have a business model?
No they don't, so shut the fuck up.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
:avatard:

Hegel You like BG2. Do you know why BG2 was able to be so good?

What do you think would have happened if the Bioware of 1999 decided to throw out what they had and make it with the Unreal Engine instead? Today's Unreal Engine, even.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Beause this thread is not lively enough let me add something to shake things up.
As things are now almost all Obsidian employees are working on the two Russian MMOs, Armored Warfare and Skyforge, so get ready:
IN BEFORE PoE EXPANSION GET THE AXE.

Hegel

Arcane
Funny enough. Bioware did just that, the infinity engine was designed for a RTS after all. The doctors did indeed pivot away from the original concept.
But it has nothing to do with this discussion. Athelas seems to believe that a company which so far hasn't been able to deliver a bug-free product might magically become the next big engine maker because magic and wishful thinking.
Click your heels three times and shout "There's no place like home", we might be lucky.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom