Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

field of glory EMPIRES

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Part of me wants to try this game, although it looks a bit to barebones for me. I do wonder if they introduced siege warfare?

Hoggypare

Savant
Part of me wants to try this game, although it looks a bit to barebones for me. I do wonder if they introduced siege warfare?
Siege warfare is mostly chance based, although it is deeper than most grand strategies. For example You have to block the port to stop defenders from smuggling in food. An unblockaded fortified city can survive for multiple turns (My siege of Byzantion as Macedonia took about 10 until I softened up the defenders enough, so I could assault it successfully). You can also order assaults that are really costly unless You get wall breaches (some units that are otherwise really useful get harsh penalties in sieges, for example phalanxes). Assaults are autoresolved however. There is also a chance for defenders to do damage with ballistas to sieging army. You can also starve defenders out, or do some damage if You have sufficiently high siege score.

The game might be barebones compared with, let's say, CK2 with all expansions, but it is probably way more deep than any PDX game at launch. Especially the building system and trading is rather well developed. I would have a hard time finding a game where those systems are more pronounced.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
My advice is to play without FoG2, if you are worried about the game being too easy. It seems to be more of an extra feature - the game is balanced for FoG:E battles
I seen one streamer to play it, and he screamed when I use autoresolve these Spartan phalanx would obliterate these mercenaries, but in 2D battle, these mercenaries are nasty in shock attack phase. I played the HARD mode.

Morkar Left

The only thing that is barebones is the diplomacy. All other aspects are pretty fleshed out. It doesn't lose itself in superfluous details though. Which is great. And unlike EU3 (haven't played 4) I always know what I want to do and can't wait till the next turn instead of watching paint getting dry.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I mean if 1 unit of phalanx translates into 1 taxis of 1500 men in field of glory 2.if not then its just lame.
Even in paradox map painters you have arithmetic based units.
1 unit of phalanx translates into 2 units of about 800-900 men in FoG2, 1 legion into 1 hastati, 1 principes and 1 triari, for greeks 1 regular infantry is translated into 1 unit of thureophoroi, but for example for italics that would make 2 medium italic infantries. This is made so, as to keep the relative strength between units similar to how they work in FoG:E autoresolve. In FoG:E there are just way less unit types, and different nations will have their units FoG:E translated differently to FoG2 battles, so in the battles You have Your specific national roster used and not the more generic, simplified FoG:E's one
This does sometimes produce weird results but its probably better than the alternative.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
My advice is to play without FoG2, if you are worried about the game being too easy. It seems to be more of an extra feature - the game is balanced for FoG:E battles
I seen one streamer to play it, and he screamed when I use autoresolve these Spartan phalanx would obliterate these mercenaries, but in 2D battle, these mercenaries are nasty in shock attack phase. I played the HARD mode.
This guy is a moron. If he played hard mode its because he has no tactical skill and he used army comps specialized for FoGE instead of FoG2. I consistently won battles with 10 to 1 casualties in my favor, never losing a single unit, and once because the FoG2 AI just didn't know what to do I won with 0 casualties of any kind attacking with just skirmish units and not moving my line troops once.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik

The only thing that is barebones is the diplomacy. All other aspects are pretty fleshed out. It doesn't lose itself in superfluous details though. Which is great. And unlike EU3 (haven't played 4) I always know what I want to do and can't wait till the next turn instead of watching paint getting dry.

You really should play EU4 (with all DLCs except Mare Nostrum and a few others), it's night and day compared to EU3.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

You really should play EU4 (with all DLCs except Mare Nostrum and a few others), it's night and day compared to EU3.
EU4 has a ton of issues but its definitely well ahead of EU3.

oscar

Arcane
This guy is a moron. If he played hard mode its because he has no tactical skill and he used army comps specialized for FoGE instead of FoG2. I consistently won battles with 10 to 1 casualties in my favor, never losing a single unit, and once because the FoG2 AI just didn't know what to do I won with 0 casualties of any kind attacking with just skirmish units and not moving my line troops once.

It sounds like the FoG2 AI is confused about the weird armies its getting command of (massively outnumbered, no skirmishers of their own, no cavalry) when FoG battles tend to be between points balanced forces. I think the issue might be that with a huge force disparity you can actually win with skirmishers alone what would be nigh impossible in a regular battle (the skirmishers could be chucking spears all day and still wouldn't be able to inflict a rout before the battle timed out). They should probably reprogram the AI to behave differently for Empires imports since the game is going to throw a lot of weird asymmetrical match-ups that wouldn't really occur in the base game.

Still I fought a sole infantry force of Spartan phalanxes and they did (eventually) start to give chase after a few turns of sucking up javelins. But with the crazy amounts of skirmishers you can cheaply field in-game this does seem to make things a bit easy vs the over-conservative AI (which is why I much prefer multiplayer and tournaments, human players tend to be a lot more aggressive and cunning while the AI tends to be reasonably competent but unimaginative).

Morkar Left

FoG2 exports should be reserved for real decision making battles. Exporting every battle is tedious and pointless and I don't think that's what they had in mind with the feature.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
So I managed to win on turn 50 on D1 with Rome without using FoG2. I think I could have won on turn 40 if I used manual battle resolution but not 100% sure. Think now I might play a game with the goal to actually get to the Marian reforms so I can have my non cost scaling legions.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Axiom take a break brah.

Could be worse. We could be getting a grognerd-level AAR with updated logistics reports and detailed information on every single turn he makes in the game. And yeah, those are out there if you wanna peruse them on wargaming forums. The autism is real, the re-enactor weapons are not.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Axiom take a break brah.

Could be worse. We could be getting a grognerd-level AAR with updated logistics reports and detailed information on every single turn he makes in the game. And yeah, those are out there if you wanna peruse them on wargaming forums. The autism is real, the re-enactor weapons are not.
You're in luck. I'm lazy and useless and I couldn't bore you to death with an AAR even if I wanted to.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Axiom take a break brah.

You're in luck. I'm lazy and useless and I couldn't bore you to death with an AAR even if I wanted to.

Lazy and useless, eh? So you're playing as the Greeks? Ha-ha.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Axiom take a break brah.

Lazy and useless, eh? So you're playing as the Greeks? Ha-ha.
Nah pretty much exclusively Romans. Unfortunately history is a dick so the only interesting countries where you have room to relax are Rome and Rome. All the other ones are surrounded by big nations.

razvedchiki

Erudite

Im not going to instruct someone how he he will have fun but this type of rushing the game can turn your opinion of the game fast into the negative.he already found a way to break the fog2 battles.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Im not going to instruct someone how he he will have fun but this type of rushing the game can turn your opinion of the game fast into the negative.he already found a way to break the fog2 battles.
You just have to approach the game in 2 different styles. So I have winning fast style and world conquest style. Of course I don't do "how the devs imagined people would play" style.

Hoggypare

Savant
Well well, Gentlemen. A new patch has arrived and:
c3120047b3fa8a8dda0f10fdd9588d585a2bfc0a.jpg

It allows for abandoning regions now!
Also there were some assorted improvements specifically for Carthage that should make playing this nation less of a chore (they adjusted agressiveness of its neighbours).

thesecret1

Arcane
Well well, Gentlemen. A new patch has arrived and:
c3120047b3fa8a8dda0f10fdd9588d585a2bfc0a.jpg

It allows for abandoning regions now!
Also there were some assorted improvements specifically for Carthage that should make playing this nation less of a chore (they adjusted agressiveness of its neighbours).
Now this is amazing news

Morkar Left

Been playing more till around 40 BC with Belgn and I can't really say that I experienced the same issues other peoples had. Only odd thing is that rebel factions have better quality troops than me despite spawning from my regions... Diplomacy actually works great if you put in the effort. Couldn't find any irrational behaviour. Completely underestimated decadence (aka didn't care about it at all) and it seems I'm fucked.
Overall the game is great!

PrettyDeadman

Rebellions is fucking me. Stack of 18 units with 2-2 general appeared on a map and took 6 of my top money provinces. 50 units cannot kill it...
This is SO retarded.

Last edited by a moderator:

PrettyDeadman

Tip - tavern is top tier building.
Don't avoid getting decadent buildiings like pleasure house and etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom