Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fight in the Arena - turn-based fighting game from Sonucido creator

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
I'm still working on the German localization but I'm slower than I planned. No excuse, just plain lazy. Doing localization for prolonged periods of time is just not fun.
Next week it should be finally done.

But it improves the quality of the text overall. Localizing it gives me a new perspective on the English version of the text and I automatically proofread it, so it is worth it, just to improve the quality; and it gives me a few extra shekels.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Next week it should be finally done.
Add another week.

I think about splitting the update another time, depends on how long it takes to complete the localization. I made several improvements to the English text. Also did an Engine update (Godot 3.5.1 -> 3.5.2) and fixed a bug.

Last edited:

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Finally.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2308850/view/3684546740129033728

Almost a month after the initial release, the German localization is finally available. But aside from the German localization the English text also got better and I fixed a few bugs!

Full Changelog

- Added the German localization
- Many improvements to the text
- Fixed a bug relating to the choosing of the portraits (if you choose a portrait number too high on the male side, got back into the menu then chose a female character, no portrait would be loaded)
- Updated the Godot Engine from 3.5.1 to 3.5.2
- Fixed a minor bug were an option was shown at a too low amount of money (at 40 instead of 50 coins)
- Added missing option to a situation even though it is unlikely to be used
- If you damage the armor, the damage dealt isn't random anymore. Also, it is higher on average
- Added 100 missing coins to the code
- Fixed a money amount which was set too low
- After one story section two paths went to wrong sections afterwards, this is fixed now
- Fixed a bug were the player could start a fight on the ground or disarmed if he died on the ground or disarmed beforehand
- Minor code improvements

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
I'm working on a new update! It will be done until the end of March - this time it will be done by the deadline.

I think I'm finding a middle ground between collecting too much before releasing an update (Sonucido: The Mage 1.0.1) and pushing out many very small updates which don't have a lot of meat to them (Bring Back The Sun).

Fight in the Arena is in a good state right now but the next update will improve the text even further (especially the German version) and fix a couple of minor bugs. Text based games have the tendency to allow for new incremental improvements every time you reread them. It is like writing and editing a book (maybe because it basically is a gamebook with a more complex fighting system).

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
New update!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2308850/view/3696932373441221194

Very soon after the last update, I found a few minor bugs which I squashed in about 15 minutes. I improved the German localization in many story sections, fixed a couple more bugs and worked on the 'You are worn out' message.

Full Changelog

- Fixed a bug regarding the start menu which would always be English even though you had a savefile with German language
- Fixed another bug, the game wouldn't use your language choice if you just started the game, changed the language and then would continue (it would use the language saved)
- Fixed a bug which would revert your portrait choice if it was higher than the array of female portraits (even if you played a male character) - this was done to address another bug but I didn't implement it right
- Many improvements to the German text
- A few improvements to the English text
- Added missing text part in the fights - if your enemy or you fall under the minimum of 20 dexterity you revert back to 20 and you get a message like "You are worn out" - but this was only displayed if you had no shield
- The message "You are worn out" and the enemy equivalent is now only displayed once and won't be displayed if you (or your enemy for that matter) are on the ground or are affected by the intimidation at the moment since it is meant to signify that the value is 20 and won't increase anymore
- This message was also not shown if the value was reduced to exactly 20, this is now changed
- I also added this message if the dexterity was reduced due to the exhaust action
- If you have custom graphics for your player, the mask will not show since it would very likely look weird on custom sprites
- Added one missing level up after the fight with the red hair woman who was convicted
- Added a little sentence that acknowledges that you won on hard difficulty
- Fixed a bug, at one particular section you had two options, but if you chose the second option, nothing happened - you would have needed to hit the third non-existing option to access the second one due to a typo which happened after I duplicated a small section
- Minor code improvements

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd like to add your game to the thread in my signature. Could you give me five tags to use?

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
After updating my other recent games (Sonucido: The Mage, The Blood Mage), it is time to also improve Fight in the Arena. I'm working on the 1.0.4 update for the game! It will mostly focus on the quality of the writing, fixing misspellings and so on. I want to release it this year, hopefully in a few days.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
The 1.0.4 Update is out now on Steam and Itch!

Hey everyone,

after I updated Sonucido: The Mage recently, it was time to improve Fight in the Arena. This update focuses on the quality of the text and fixes a lot of misspellings and improves the wording in some cases. The English localization got the most attention but the German localization also got better.
While testing I also found a bug which decreased the amount of money you got after the last tournament. If you had played a higher charisma character in your previous playthrough and got more money from the sponsor in advance and started a new playthrough the game would not revert this specific variable. In your next playthrough with a lower charisma build you would get less advance but still get less after the tournament. This is fixed now.
I also updated the underlying Engine from Godot 3.5.2 to 3.5.3!

Full Changelog

- Updated the Engine from Godot 3.5.2 to Godot 3.5.3
- Removed one double space in the German localization
- Fixed a lot of misspellings in the English localization
- Fixed a few misspellings in the German localization
- Improved the wording of a few sentences in both languages
- Added some missing words in the English localization
- Added two new pieces of armor to the market for higher price points
- Hid an option in two cases if you had less money than required because selecting it would do nothing if you had not the required amount
- Fixed a bug where a variable wasn't reverted which could lead to less money after the last tournament

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2308850/Fight_in_the_Arena_by_Daniel_da_Silva/

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
I'm working on a new update!

This time I will finally add a few more sections to the game. After so many technical and stylistic improvements, it is time for a bit of expansion.
I don't have much time on hand right now so it will take longer but I'm working on something.

The game is also on sale on Itch.io right now for 50% off.

+M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom